Throwing down field to WRs not in game plan.

chris heff

In Sully's column today, both Woods and Watkins state that throwing down field to WRs was not in the game plan. First round pick, traded up for and second round pick, let's not use them. Aren't these guys the two best play makers on the offense?

Some will now make this about Orton and Manuel, but how is it that both these guys have the same issues? This is a timid offense without an identity.

As a heads up this is being discussed in the all 22 thread but here are my thoughts on it...

Without intonation it is impossible to know how these were said to Sully. Sort of like text messaging and having no idea how the comment was meant.

The game plan didn't call for it though as a statement - with as many people lamenting that there should have been more run plays called wouldn't that fall in line with wrs not being targeted? It seemed that short pass plays designed to churn yards and running plays to keep the clock moving was the game plan in the first half. Freddy got an awful lot of looks in the first half.

So which is it? Are we mad that the game plan should have been more focused on getting the wrs the ball early or are we mad that they didn't run enough early? It can't be both.

Bills seemed to be really concerned with Broncos pass rush so not completely surprised deep balls were not in the game plan but I am surprised how little this team uses crossing patterns.

This offense doesnt have an identity and just seems to include a different set of plays every week.

I don't think this is anything new, that's why EJ said next chance he get's he's going to sling it all over the field.

This was blurb i found from January...

Bills coach Doug Marrone recently said the Bills plan to expand Buffalo’s passing attack in 2014. Only eight teams attempted fewer passes than the Bills last year, but no team had more rushing attempts. The results were pretty poor — the team only reached the 30-point mark in two of their 16 regular season games in 2013 and were held at 24 or under the rest of the time. “We would like to be able to take more shots, throw it more on first down and become more productive from the standpoint of scoring,” said Marrone.

It would be nice if the Bills were "more productive from the standpoint of scoring"....