Orton unforced error/ Oline Film Review - Week 14 Broncos

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 57 snaps ..or in other words.. an obscenely high amount - (last week was 32 snaps … )

LINE BREAKDOWNS 12 or 21% - last week was 2 snaps or 6% so O Line was much worse this week ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop..)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 45 snaps or 79 % of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw).

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 9 snaps or 20% - last week was 9 snaps or 28 % of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks)

Bottom Line:

Way too many pass attempts put Orton/O Line in tough position (Hackett). Orton was fairly solid between the 20's but the red zone area INTs were killers. Urbik and Woods both had multiple mistakes… rough days in general. The sacks were all legit O line breakdowns. WR's definitely had trouble getting separation.. particularly in 1st half. Credit to Denver dbs. On positive side Orton actually showed some nice escapabilty avoiding pressure, stepping up and hitting throws under duress. He also missed on several throws where he had plenty of time. Most notably he had trouble with hitting the sideline cover 2 hole throws. This game was very similar to the KC game for Orton.

__________ __________

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 - Unforced bad throw to Sammy deep left

Q1 - Timing off in miss to Sammy on out route

Q1 - 4th down - bad throw to Chandler… Woods was wide open over the middle

Q1 Slide Down short of first down ; actually a good decision.. he would have gotten crushed by 53 short of first down if he went for it

Q2 SACK Urbik beaten

Q2 - SACK Wood pushed back into Orton

Q3 - Great throw takes hit and delivers to Woods

Q3; INT no-one open.. should have thrown it away or scrambled..

Q3 Great throw Glenn beaten but Orton steps up and hits Sammy deep left

Q3 ; INT Orton forces in to first read ..stares down

Q3 ; Great throw Orton avoids zero blitz and makes nice completion to Sammy

Q4 SACK cb blitz.. great defensive call

Q4 - Awesome Sammy catch Wood clueless..gets beaten.. Orton has to dump off quick

Q4 Orton misses slant to Goodwin

Q4 Orton doesn&t see wide open Hogan over the middle near goal line

Q4 Henderson beat.. thrown away

Q4 Urbik beaten again.. thrown away

Q4 - Overthrows Goodwin left sideline between safety and cb

Q4 Great throw - Orton avoids pressure throws on the money to Chandler

Q4 - Overthrow to Watkins deep right.. nearly picked off

SUMMARY - On second look Orton did a decent job avoiding pressure and made some nice throws on the move. Strangely.. ( and scarily) most of his bad throws were made when he had time and he was just plain off. His INTs were due to lasering in on his first read and trying to force it in where he shouldnt have been forcing it. WRs did have some trouble getting separation.. but a good QB won't try and force it anyway. Unlike previous games, he wasnt able to bail himself out of the hole he dug with miraculous late game throws. Orton isn;t good enough to overcome a multiple INT game. I think he probably played well enough to earn a start next week against Green Bay.. but if he has a similar performance next week I think its obviously EJ time.

Also..Eric Wood has really looked bad the last few games and at this point it;s hard to blame it on the guards around him.

Edited by Bocephuz

Also..Eric Wood has really looked bad the last few games and at this point it;s hard to blame it on the guards around him.

Nice breakdown. Wood has looked shaky on the A22 all season. The interior of our OL should be declared a disaster area and apply to FEMA. Where have you gone, Joe D'Alessandris? Our fanbase turns its lonely eyes to you.

Indeed... Wood has been bad pretty much all year ( he's way overhyped). Urbik was solid for a while but has regressed. Pears has actually started to settle in.

Mind you all I evaluate is pass protect. One can surmise by 1.) # of pass plays called 2.) poor production of run game that they aren't exactly killing it in the run game either.

It was also interesting that most of the pressure was coming from up the gut... The tackles were by no means dominant but they held up fairly well considering who they were going up against.

Great stuff as always. Thanks for putting in the time to compile these reports.

Regarding Hackett:

How many pass attempts came after we were down 21-3 in the 3rd QTR?

It's easy to say Hackett blindly insisted on passing the ball and stubbornly refused to run it, but game situations have a way of making a team one-dimensional. Hackett was pretty balanced in the first half IIRC. But when you are down 3 possessions, you can't run the clock out on yourself.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice breakdown. Wood has looked shaky on the A22 all season. The interior of our OL should be declared a disaster area and apply to FEMA. Where have you gone, Joe D'Alessandris? Our fanbase turns its lonely eyes to you.

SD's OL is at least as bad as Buffalo's, if not worse--allows just as many sacks and has fewer YPC.

SD's OL is at least as bad as Buffalo's, if not worse--allows just as many sacks and has fewer YPC.

Maybe, but I have seen competent evaluation of linemen when Joe D was here. The OL has been a terrible game of musical chairs since Marrone and Pat Morris walked through the door.

:lol: and sad at the same time. I agree, and the O line has done nothing but regress since Marrone took over.

It wasn't all that great under Gailey either simply because he used a real spread out offense to run out of, and ran a short, quick, passing game in which Fitz found Stevie in around 2.0 seconds. That ability to get rid of the ball so quickly mostly negated any pass rush against him.

For some unknown reason the brain trust of this Org has had it in their heads that quality players are not needed at the OG positions. Otherwise they would have drafted for the position earlier, and brought in top players in free agency then the lowest graded player in the league. Lets hope all this changes with new ownership, and smarter people at the top.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, in my view any normal individual with a reasonable IQ should comprehend that Kyle Orton is not an elite QB, and shouldn't be throwing 40 times in a game, much less 57. How ridiculous, Its amazing that he didn't have more then 2 INT's or more then 4 sacks.

This week the offensive game plan was working very well to some degree in the first quarter with some rarely seen plays, fake reverses, an end around with Goodwin. Its almost as if Marrone might have started making the play calls instead of Hackett. Then once the team got behind in the score the run game went out the window completely. Abandoning the offensive game is always the worst thing you can do in this situation given that three quarters of game were still left to play. Yet the Bills went pass happy yet again against a very strong defense that ranked higher then the bills, with almost as many sacks.

Kyle Orton played much better then I expected given that the game was on the road, at mile high stadium, and the Bills OC forced him to shoulder the entire offense on his own.

Really the game came down to poor special teams play, and poor field position for Buffalo all day. Out of 11 offensive series only once did the team start past the 26 yard line. Thus forcing the Bills to go 80 yards to score. Also, Denver did the smart thing by taking the ball out of Manning's hands and giving it to their RB CJ Anderson.

Hopefully at some point in the future someone in the Bills Org will realize that building a potent run game is what really helps win games in so many ways. The 90's Bills usually ran more then they threw it, and Thurman was 75% of that supposed "K gun" offense.

:lol: and sad at the same time. I agree, and the O line has done nothing but regress since Marrone took over.

It wasn't all that great under Gailey either simply because he used a real spread out offense to run out of, and ran a short, quick, passing game in which Fitz found Stevie in around 2.0 seconds. That ability to get rid of the ball so quickly mostly negated any pass rush against him.

For some unknown reason the brain trust of this Org has had it in their heads that quality players are not needed at the OG positions. Otherwise they would have drafted for the position earlier, and brought in top players in free agency then the lowest graded player in the league. Lets hope all this changes with new ownership, and smarter people at the top.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, in my view any normal individual with a reasonable IQ should comprehend that Kyle Orton is not an elite QB, and shouldn't be throwing 40 times in a game, much less 57. How ridiculous, Its amazing that he didn't have more then 2 INT's or more then 4 sacks.

This week the offensive game plan was working very well to some degree in the first quarter with some rarely seen plays, fake reverses, an end around with Goodwin. Its almost as if Marrone might have started making the play calls instead of Hackett. Then once the team got behind in the score the run game went out the window completely. Abandoning the offensive game is always the worst thing you can do in this situation given that three quarters of game were still left to play. Yet the Bills went pass happy yet again against a very strong defense that ranked higher then the bills, with almost as many sacks.

Kyle Orton played much better then I expected given that the game was on the road, at mile high stadium, and the Bills OC forced him to shoulder the entire offense on his own.

Really the game came down to poor special teams play, and poor field position for Buffalo all day. Out of 11 offensive series only once did the team start past the 26 yard line. Thus forcing the Bills to go 80 yards to score. Also, Denver did the smart thing by taking the ball out of Manning's hands and giving it to their RB CJ Anderson.

Hopefully at some point in the future someone in the Bills Org will realize that building a potent run game is what really helps win games in so many ways. The 90's Bills usually ran more then they threw it, and Thurman was 75% of that supposed "K gun" offense.

We need an identity on offense one way or another. When EJ was in we were most successful going I formation, 2 TEs with a Fullback and basing everything off of our power running game. We have now gone a complete 180... Frank Summers is not even active most weeks. Screen passes and the short game has basically supplanted our run game. I think Hackett is over enamored with having a vet QB and he totally revamped they system when he really didn't need to. The only thing he needed to change when Orton came is was getting rid of the read option stuff.

We need an identity on offense one way or another. When EJ was in we were most successful going I formation, 2 TEs with a Fullback and basing everything off of our power running game. We have now gone a complete 180... Frank Summers is not even active most weeks. Screen passes and the short game has basically supplanted our run game. I think Hackett is over enamored with having a vet QB and he totally revamped they system when he really didn't need to. The only thing he needed to change when Orton came is was getting rid of the read option stuff.

Yea I agree. Those first two games the Bills rushed 33 times, and passed only 20, and had a clear formula for success. Even at Chicago against a team they weren't supposed to beat or even be in the game against. Cutler throwing 49 times while Forte only getting 17 attempts. Sound like a familiar way to lose?

You would think that after all these games that the offensive coaches would find a clue that going pass happy every game with an average QB isn't the way to win. The Broncos have an elite QB, and they got it after one loss to St Louis, and started running the ball like crazy. Whats interesting is they have almost the same problem as the Bills in terms of a weak interior line. They managed to correct the problem by having the interior players double up on defenders to open up lanes up the middle. Simple better coaching is all it took.

I yearn for some better coaching on the offensive side of the ball for Buffalo. They may in fact find that Orton is good enough with a strong run game, and defense.

The fourth and six play was a total Orton screw up. He had Woods breaking open against a LB on a shallow cross. Easy throw, catch, and run for a first down. The throw to Chandler wasn't bad but he was well defended (could say face guarded/PI but the Denver defender did get his hand/arm on the ball).