What To Do If Kaepernick Is Your Starter?

Dante

I have a bye for the first round but really not comfortable with Colin. The usual suspects are available including McCowen, Fitz, Bortles, Bridgewater, Mettenberger, Manzeil and Orton and McCoy. McCoy has Giants and Phili so thats pretty good. Kinda leaning him or maybe stick with the one who brought you?

Dance with who brung ya...not the best philosophy for fantasy football, but in this instance you may have to. All those QB's should still be available after this week, so I guess I would wait and see how they perform. Maybe watch the Browns game closely and if JM is lighting it up, pick him up. Other than that, I wouldn't be comfortable going into the playoff's with any of those other QB's, just too inconsistent.

Hoyer to start so that's out...

Edited by ricojes

I also have a first round bye in one league and start Matt Ryan. Due to his inconsistencies I speculatively added Manziel. He is worth a stash spot and today won't cost you in waiver order. As for Kap he is absolutely maddening. A sneaky add if there (and I feel dirty saying this) is tannehil. Other than this lasy week he has been playing and scoring quite well.

Yeah there isn't a qb in the bunch that is a significantly better option. Going to add McCoy just in case he has another good week

Tannehil not there now section 122

Fitz against the Colts is intriguing, Do not like Tannehill against the Pats anyway. Cap at Seattle, yuck. McCoy against the Giant, could be your best bet. Orton vs GB? tough situation, have to wait until after this week to see what happens.

Yeah there isn't a qb in the bunch that is a significantly better option. Going to add McCoy just in case he has another good week

Tannehil not there now section 122

I am in almost the same boat. First week bye, and have started Cutler every week (except his bye). He was great early in the season, but has cooled off some down the stretch..the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season, he was getting me 25-30 pts a week...now it is more in the 18-21 range. I had Andy Dalton as my backup, but after his disastrerous Thursday night game, I got rid of him, and picked up Orton, who, I thought, was going to be a solid backup..dumbest move I made this season...Orton has cooled off quite a bit (averaging about 10-12 pts a week)...I picked up Drew Stanton...yuck. Not may great options in my league. I don't like Cutlers schedule for as my playoff QB...he's got the Saints next week (not bad), but if I win, and make it to the Championship game, he plays the Lions on championship week (week 16).

But, like you, I don't have any better option. If Orton was playing at home, or even on the east coast, I might think of gambling and starting him over Cutler week 16. However, he is playing in Oakland...don't want to be pessimistic, and I know the Raiders suck and all, but if the Bills lose to either Denver or Green Bay, their thin playoff hopes pretty much trashed, I could see the Bills playing a very flat game on the west coast, against a team that has known their season was over for months..Sunday before Christmas...don't feel good about that.

Long story short, I think you gotta stick with Kaepernick, unless a much better option falls in your lap. One of those other guys might get hot that particular week, But wouldn't you kick yourself if you started Zack Mettenberg and he gets you 10 points, while Kaep goes off and gets 30? We know Kaepernick can do that from time to time, and the 49ers are going to likely be desperate down the stretch.

I am in almost the same boat. First week bye, and have started Cutler every week (except his bye). He was great early in the season, but has cooled off some down the stretch..the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season, he was getting me 25-30 pts a week...now it is more in the 18-21 range. I had Andy Dalton as my backup, but after his disastrerous Thursday night game, I got rid of him, and picked up Orton, who, I thought, was going to be a solid backup..dumbest move I made this season...Orton has cooled off quite a bit (averaging about 10-12 pts a week)...I picked up Drew Stanton...yuck. Not may great options in my league. I don't like Cutlers schedule for as my playoff QB...he's got the Saints next week (not bad), but if I win, and make it to the Championship game, he plays the Lions on championship week (week 16).

But, like you, I don't have any better option. If Orton was playing at home, or even on the east coast, I might think of gambling and starting him over Cutler week 16. However, he is playing in Oakland...don't want to be pessimistic, and I know the Raiders suck and all, but if the Bills lose to either Denver or Green Bay, their thin playoff hopes pretty much trashed, I could see the Bills playing a very flat game on the west coast, against a team that has known their season was over for months..Sunday before Christmas...don't feel good about that.

Long story short, I think you gotta stick with Kaepernick, unless a much better option falls in your lap. One of those other guys might get hot that particular week, But wouldn't you kick yourself if you started Zack Mettenberg and he gets you 10 points, while Kaep goes off and gets 30? We know Kaepernick can do that from time to time, and the 49ers are going to likely be desperate down the stretch.

Thanks for the input. I do think Cutler is still a pretty good option though. His upside with the weapons he has is attractive. I don't think he is a top 5 type elite guy but he shouldn't hurt you either. Tonight he should be ok as against the Saints. Lions is not great but you never really know. Hopefully he can grab you 20-25 points and the rest of your team makes it up a bit.

Thanks for the input. I do think Cutler is still a pretty good option though. His upside with the weapons he has is attractive. I don't think he is a top 5 type elite guy but he shouldn't hurt you either. Tonight he should be ok as against the Saints. Lions is not great but you never really know. Hopefully he can grab you 20-25 points and the rest of your team makes it up a bit.

Yeah. You got a good matchup for Kaepernick against the Raiders. I can understand that game in Seattle looking a little ominous. If the 49ers have anything in them, though, they should at least give the Hawks a good game after being embarassed by them a few weeks ago. Kaepernick has had a rough season, but if they just resign themselves to the fact that he has to run the ball to be effective, he could pay off, like he did early in the season.

Yeah. You got a good matchup for Kaepernick against the Raiders. I can understand that game in Seattle looking a little ominous. If the 49ers have anything in them, though, they should at least give the Hawks a good game after being embarassed by them a few weeks ago. Kaepernick has had a rough season, but if they just resign themselves to the fact that he has to run the ball to be effective, he could pay off, like he did early in the season.

Got a bye this week so I can't take advantage of the faiders. Would be nice if it were next week!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.