Commitment to Routine Makes Jerry Hughes Special

Commitment to routine makes Jerry Hughes special

hughes-feature-story.jpg

Sticking to a routine is the very thing that has made Hughes into the quarterback terrorizer he is today.

He’s a half sack away from posting back-to-back 10-sack seasons, but this past Sunday Jerry Hughes showed there’s far more to his game than just taking down quarterbacks behind the line of scrimmage. On a third quarter pitch play by the Browns the defensive end forced Terrance West to the sideline and stripped the ball from him as he made the tackle. This, all while being held by Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas, who was flagged on the play. Then he scooped up the loose ball and runs 18 yards to the end zone for a touchdown.

The thing that has begun to concern me about Hughes is Mario Williams.

Coming out of NC State Mario Williams was the stud. He had two other guys on his D line drafted in the first round- Lawson and McCargo.

My Concern is does Hughes look like he does due to what is on the line now. Mario, Dareus, Kyle all help Hughes become engaged in one on ones. Yes Hughes has had a great year. I think however this will be another case of him cashing in with another team and then looking more average.

Bills need to find another competent pass rusher to replace Hughes. I think a quality end with pass rushing ability will excel just like Hughes has. Maybe not to the same number of sacks. There is room for improvement in the run game from Hughes DE spot though.

Coming out of NC State Mario Williams was the stud. He had two other guys on his D line drafted in the first round- Lawson and McCargo.

My Concern is does Hughes look like he does due to what is on the line now. Mario, Dareus, Kyle all help Hughes become engaged in one on ones. Yes Hughes has had a great year. I think however this will be another case of him cashing in with another team and then looking more average.

Bills need to find another competent pass rusher to replace Hughes. I think a quality end with pass rushing ability will excel just like Hughes has. Maybe not to the same number of sacks. There is room for improvement in the run game from Hughes DE spot though.

I disagree. Hughes was a first round pick and at TCU he had no Mario Williams or Manny Lawson. He was the guy the other team targeted defensively, and he still got his. This team hasn't had an identity since the early 90's, this DL can be what Buffalo is recognized for. I'm all for keeping him. However, i also have my eye on 49ers OG Mike Iupati. They might let him hit the market.

LOL

Article posted Dec 2014....

"Hughes posted his first sack of the 2014 season last Sunday. One might think in a contract year that he’s focused on personal stats or a Pro Bowl nod, but Hughes’ goals are different."

Yeah, this is a copy job from earlier in the year.

Personally, I think Hughes is a 5-8 sack guy on a weaker line, he'll still get some sacks, he still has a motor, but he won't get the crazy numbers with defenses not having to worry about KW and Dareus next to him.

I hope we can keep him, because I like him on this line, he fits well. But more than likely the Bills won't pay him what another team might (likely a team desperate for a pass rush). I could see him going to another team, being a "disappointment", and losing out on money down the line, when he's cut/replaced for someone more well rounded.

If someone didn't see it the first time, it's new to them. Either way it's no big deal worth calling out.

its not like hes saying you cant post it or no one should read it - he even said good article. but lifting something from september, adding a paragraph and not even updating the contents to reflect up to date stats/anecdotes is pretty bad on CBs part. its worth a "c'mon man."

its not like hes saying you cant post it or no one should read it - he even said good article. but lifting something from september, adding a paragraph and not even updating the contents to reflect up to date stats/anecdotes is pretty bad on CBs part. its worth a "c'mon man."

Okay. :thumbsup:

Good luck finding a pass rusher to consistently beat NFL left tackles. Hughes may benefit from not having to face double teams, but he has to beat the other team's best offensive lineman every play. If you let Hughes go you have to slide Mario to RDE or sign someone to play that position. If we move Mario we lose the match-up problems caused by him playing against a right tackle, and teams don't have to keep an extra blocker in to chip Mario. Jerry Hughes is far more valuable than you are making him out to be.

Personally, I think Hughes is a 5-8 sack guy on a weaker line, he'll still get some sacks, he still has a motor, but he won't get the crazy numbers with defenses not having to worry about KW and Dareus next to him.

I hope we can keep him, because I like him on this line, he fits well. But more than likely the Bills won't pay him what another team might (likely a team desperate for a pass rush). I could see him going to another team, being a "disappointment", and losing out on money down the line, when he's cut/replaced for someone more well rounded.

im curious to see if they see that opposite end as a premium position, or a product of the system. hughes will be pricy, and there are always some vets floating around that are a bit 1 dimensional, or second tier. heck, hughes might even qualify as that type of player that dropped in the right scheme becomes overvalued. ill be curious to see how it plays out. i do like what we have a lot, and he seems to be proving more and more that he might not just be a product of a great line.

im curious to see if they see that opposite end as a premium position, or a product of the system. hughes will be pricy, and there are always some vets floating around that are a bit 1 dimensional, or second tier. heck, hughes might even qualify as that type of player that dropped in the right scheme becomes overvalued. ill be curious to see how it plays out. i do like what we have a lot, and he seems to be proving more and more that he might not just be a product of a great line.

The contrary to this is that Hughes was excellent in Pettine's scheme too. In Indy he was stuck behind Mathis and Freeney and didn't really get a chance to shine.

The contrary to this is that Hughes was excellent in Pettine's scheme too. In Indy he was stuck behind Mathis and Freeney and didn't really get a chance to shine.

he still plays next to MW, MD and KW. That and his role hasn't changed from last year. I've noticed he plays out of a two point stance a lot for a "DE".

in this case, scheme may not have been the best word, as i was getting more at being the 4th best player on the line instead of the #1 player on the line. the scheme pushing a ton of talent in the front 4.