Confused about the genuine feeling of those surprised ?????

machinist

First of all let me state that I am a first time poster but long time fan of this site and its forum. I have enjoyed a number of people's topics and have gained some really nice insight to the Buffalo Bills via numerous posters on the wall so for that I thank you for both your time and effort.

I have been a Bills fan for over 30 years and love our city, our team, and the diehard dedication of this fan base that is second to none. Show me another NFL franchise that can sell out (1) home game let alone the majority of home games yet miss the playoff's for 15 years. The thing I don't understand is the overwhelming disbelief that we are sitting at 5-5.

We have a .500 coach, an inexperienced and unimaginative O.C., and a .500 QB.........why would anyone expect us to be more than a .500 team ????? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and One Bills Drive has repeated the same cycle now for a 15th year. I catch a lot of crap for calling this team out at the start of the season as a 6-10 team with EJ or an 8-8 team with Orton but it makes me a realist not less of a fan. I still tune in every week and invest emotionally into every victory or defeat for 16 weeks of our NFL season but really don't find myself surprised at where we end up come week 16.

The organization talks about a "winning culture" but my question is how do you create such a culture when the actions taken are that of signing an outdated GM (Nix), followed by passing the torch to an unproven GM who signs a .500 college coach along with his inexperienced OC (which when Marrone was hired he stated he would fill all positions with "proven" staff that have succeeded in the NFL) who in turn draft a 3rd round QB with their 1st round pick ??????

Know that I am excited, as most, about Pegula buying "our team" as it would have broken my heart to watch the Bills leave. The fact remains though that none of us should be surprised at the state of our team and their record when taking a honest look at what has been done (or lack of what has been done) to create a so called "winning culture".

Thank you for you time and God bless America, the Buffalo Bills, and their loyal fans !

First of all let me state that I am a first time poster but long time fan of this site and its forum. I have enjoyed a number of people's topics and have gained some really nice insight to the Buffalo Bills via numerous posters on the wall so for that I thank you for both your time and effort.

I have been a Bills fan for over 30 years and love our city, our team, and the diehard dedication of this fan base that is second to none. Show me another NFL franchise that can sell out (1) home game let alone the majority of home games yet miss the playoff's for 15 years. The thing I don't understand is the overwhelming disbelief that we are sitting at 5-5.

We have a .500 coach, an inexperienced and unimaginative O.C., and a .500 QB.........why would anyone expect us to be more than a .500 team ????? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and One Bills Drive has repeated the same cycle now for a 15th year. I catch a lot of crap for calling this team out at the start of the season as a 6-10 team with EJ or an 8-8 team with Orton but it makes me a realist not less of a fan. I still tune in every week and invest emotionally into every victory or defeat for 16 weeks of our NFL season but really don't find myself surprised at where we end up come week 16.

The organization talks about a "winning culture" but my question is how do you create such a culture when the actions taken are that of signing an outdated GM (Nix), followed by passing the torch to an unproven GM who signs a .500 college coach along with his inexperienced OC (which when Marrone was hired he stated he would fill all positions with "proven" staff that have succeeded in the NFL) who in turn draft a 3rd round QB with their 1st round pick ??????

Know that I am excited, as most, about Pegula buying "our team" as it would have broken my heart to watch the Bills leave. The fact remains though that none of us should be surprised at the state of our team and their record when taking a honest look at what has been done (or lack of what has been done) to create a so called "winning culture".

Thank you for you time and God bless America, the Buffalo Bills, and their loyal fans !

spot on. we need a changing of the guard, through and through. the well has been poisoned for many years. fill it in and build a new one.

I am not a first time poster but still very new to contributing on various topics. If some can call it that.

But I have been a fan since I started watching football in 2007. It rubbed off from some room mates my first year in college that were die hard Bills fans. If I watched a game with them and they won I was required to be there the next week. Drinking the same drink. Out of the same cup. Sitting in the same spot.

I have since stalked this forum for the majority of my information and, sadly, depression.

I do however disagree with your assertion that we drafted a 3rd round QB in the 1st as a fact. Around the time of the draft the QB that was moving up ALL mock drafts was EJ Manuel. There was significant talk about Philly being interested. There was very little chatter about the Bills and EJ though. Everyone was too willing to connect the dots with Nassib. It only takes a couple out of 32 teams to become enamored with a well spoken, hard working natural leader QB for him to sneak into the first round as EJ did. Obviously Buffalo was worried he would not be there any later with Philly coming up shortly. It's completely unknown where he would have been drafted if the Bills didn't take him. So realistically he is just a 1st round pick. No asterisk or caveat needed. It is what it is now.

I also had little reason an overwhelmingly talented roster would not contend for a play off spot until the Patriots game. We have had abysmal performance on the offensive side of the ball. So completely surprised, no, not based on how the offense has looked. With all the close games we knew it was going to cost us wins. But disappointed after expectation were not met, absolutely.

But here's to the Bills magically solving the elusive red zone and at least have us playing with the play off calculator to get the best tie breaker scenarios for us.

-Rich

Added clarification on EJ point.

Edited by RichVP

Do not confuse where we are now and where we have been for 15 years with where we are going.

Pegula's fingerprints are on NO ASPECT of this organization at the moment.

That is going to change shortly. I promise.

Hang in there my Bills Brother!

Rich,

I respect your "rebuttal" regarding EJ and you bring up some very valid points. I am somewhat a spectator of college football therefore in no way consider myself a seasoned fan of the game on said level but guess I get hung up on the number of question marks that surrounded EJ at draft time (accuracy, ability to scan the field, etc.) that seem to have come to fruition in a Bills uniform. Just seems like a lot of unknowns surrounding a young man not only being considered for a 1st round pick but to be the first QB taken off the board to fill the most essential position on the roster. I agree with you on the fact that his personality (articulate and hard working) could drive up his stock because on all accounts he appears to be a great embassador for the game on a personal level. I do question your "natural leader" comment though on the basis of what I have witnessed is a young man, though personable, does not have the "moxy" or "swagger" within himself to inspire others to follow him onto the field of battle.

I appreciate and respect the opinion you have put forth but, at this time, have to believe EJ could have been had as an early 3rd rounder. Your point about my statement regarding EJ's draft value is dead on as you are correct in that none of us no for sure if another franchise would have taken him earlier than expected therefore it is solely my opinion and did not intend it to come off as factual.

Stopthe pain,

Love the enthusiasm and wouldn't hang any other way than as a Bills fan !!!!!

Hey who knows. Maybe this rough spot is just what this coaching staff and our offense needs....a major MAJOR kick in the ass.....

If this team truly is a playoff team, then from the next game going forward, they should win all of them, right? I mean seriously....if this team plays like every game is their last....maybe...just maybe they answer the bell and win out.

Green Bay....Denver.....New England........they can all lose and why not have it be at the hands of a desperate, wounded animal like the Bills?

Let's see what this team is really made of.

That's......why they play the games.

The team was 5-3 and sitting in the 6th playoff spot.

In 5 days they fumbled away an easy victory at home, then the offense no-showed against a division rival that the team smashed earlier in the season.

It is not that in those 5 days (It is not 4 days as many reporters keep saying. It is 5 days you have to count Sunday too. ) the Bills revealed their true nature as Playoff Pretenders.

It is not a sense of disbelief that the team is 500 that fans are feeling.

Bills fans are dealing with the grief that the 2014 Bills are the same old Bills and the playoffs are all but officially out of reach.

There were many that wanted to believe the team would keep that 6th seed even though they knew all of the issues you pointed out, after knowing the outcome of the season.

Another wasted year without the playoffs, an undeveloped "QB of the future" with an offensive coaching staff that couldn't develop a Polaroid picture. Bills fans can't even placate themselves with talk of the 2015 1st round pick.

This will be a tough lame duck, rest of the season and off season. If your post is supposed to help by saying "Hey we are .500 at least we're not 3-5" I guess that might help some.

Losing in the typical Washington Generals of the NFL style where the Bills find ways to lose is a tough Pill to swallow.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I guess the reason behind my post lies more in the assumption that most fans can see what is before them therefore expectations would be tailored to the fact that we continually construct a subpar front office and coaching staff. Until expectations and accountability are risen we should expect to witness 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 seasons for years to come.

I hopefully will be around to witness a time where the organization realizes they need to put together a professional NFL staff from the GM, coaches, and scouts to the waterboy to be efficient in obtaining talent, growing talent, and putting the talent in the proper schemes to best utilize said talent while effectively attacking our opponents weakness week end and week out via innovative and strategic game planning to acheive victory on a regular basis.

The old Ralph Wilson Era made it very difficult to attract top NFL front office talent and every time you fire a head coach you basically start over, a semi rebuilding project at best.

This is the NFL merry-go-round every Buffalo fan is well aware of.........am I surprised ...no.

Hopefully this is all behind us now and I am not interested in discussing the past anymore, you will drive yourself crazy with that.

One quality franchise Quarterback will change and repair everything

Edited by HOUSE