Good news for Sammy Watkin - Adidas gear now allowed

The greed of the NFL as well as other sports never ceases to amaze me. The way they can legally extort companies to give them money for nothing tangible, just so that it will allow it's players to get money for wearing/using said companies products. Amazing.

no, it's not amazing. this is how all businesses operate - to maximize revenues. and they're not "legally extorting" adidas; believe me, adidas is getting more out of this than they're paying (or they wouldn't pay it - thats also how businesses operate).

The greed of the NFL as well as other sports never ceases to amaze me. The way they can legally extort companies to give them money for nothing tangible, just so that it will allow it's players to get money for wearing/using said companies products. Amazing.

It's not greed, it's capitalism.

Why should Adidas receive free exposure/advertising from having their logo on equipment used in NFL-owned competitions?

After all, players could wear Adidas but they could not wear the Adidas logo. Now that Adidas paid, they can also receive the benefit of exposure/advertising.

You mean like how performers need to pay the NFL to play the halftime show for the superbowl?

I know adidas and all the others are raking it in as well. But "pay us money or we will not allow our employees to promote your products, even though you are paying them to promote your products" is legal extortion. At least I assume it's legal???

Why beef on the NFL for this age old concept? Nike and Under Armor had paid a premium to be the "official sponsor/equippers" of the NFL last year. The year before, it was Reebok-Adidas.

Every pro sport (and really, every team) has "official sponsor" deals. It's how they make money. How on earth could this be confused with "illegal" activity??

The NFL players have deal with NFL to split revenue - the players who get these deals actually depress the market shares for the other players who do not get deals AND they get a cut of the other company sponsorship. Once the ability to target players in place a potential sponsor can decide to go with NFL for $XXXX or go with players X ... X for $XXXX spreading their money around and even getting some commercials out of sponsorship and as long as they do not choose a 'Ray Rice' or 'Aaron Hernandez' they are in good shape.

Why beef on the NFL for this age old concept? Nike and Under Armor had paid a premium to be the "official sponsor/equippers" of the NFL last year. The year before, it was Reebok-Adidas.

Every pro sport (and really, every team) has "official sponsor" deals. It's how they make money. How on earth could this be confused with "illegal" activity??

So, now it's Nike and UU and Adidas. When is it going to be Nike and UU and Adidas and Puma? When is it going to be...? How many official equippers can there be, not legally, but before the term official becomes absurd? (obviously the Nike deal didn't include exclusivity, but are they getting a rebate from the NFL because suddenly their deal has less "meaning?")

So, now it's Nike and UU and Adidas. When is it going to be Nike and UU and Adidas and Puma? When is it going to be...? How many official equippers can there be, not legally, but before the term official becomes absurd? (obviously the Nike deal didn't include exclusivity, but are they getting a rebate from the NFL because suddenly their deal has less "meaning?")

I was wondering that too. But I think the uniforms are exclusively Nike still. Shoes and gloves are any of the 3.