Jeremy White: All-22 Review - Bills at Jets

Re JW's All-22

My big problem is the play calling in the 2nd/3rd quarter (which he doesn't break down) when we had a bunch of three and outs. I really, really, really would have liked to see us throw a play action in there somewhere. Other than that, I was pretty happy, especially what we did early and late in the game, and obviously, the result was we won the game, so... woot :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re JW's All-22

My big problem is the play calling in the 2nd/3rd quarter (which he doesn't break down) when we had a bunch of three and outs. I really, really, really would have liked to see us throw a play action in there somewhere. Other than that, I was pretty happy, especially what we did early and late in the game, and obviously, the result was we won the game, so... woot :)

I hate the run play Hackett calls....I think it is called run into the pile and fall down. What I REALLY don't understand is how can we run so much last year and this year (even though from a yard per carry weak) HOW can we NOT run play action. Isn't that a huge benefit to the other team thinking your are going to run. I think we have earned the right from everyone in the NFL that they should think we are running. How you never throw play action.....ahhhh! Is this crazy or just me. It is like losing twice, throwing good money after bad money....you get the point.

Actually I completely understand that. The guys I watch the games with I was saying this is the first time I have ever felt this way in 50 years of watching the Bills (not anything but thrilled with a 20 point win). And I actually am thrilled with 90% of that game. But I think White made a terrible case for his argument, that is why I was ridiculing it, not the argument itself. That's self-evident. Pointing out how successful they were the few times they were unpredictable, while saying that they should throw more to Watkins because no one can cover or stop him, especially early before they established the run, run tendency, begs for more passes to Watkins, not showing how smart they were.

Just started rewatching the All-22 and it hit me again why I was frustrated with the game in real time. Again, it was the inability to quickly jump on the Jets throat. After having a nice long opening drive to score, with vast majority of yardage coming on passing plays, Hackett inexplicably ran on 1st & 2nd downs on succeeding drives following the first two INTs. It was that sequence, followed by the third quarter when the game was still in play that they stuck to the run, when the pass was clearly working is what gets people worked up.

Great to lay down 43 points, but the team shouldn't count on 6 turnovers and average drive starts at the 50 for many more games.

Just started rewatching the All-22 and it hit me again why I was frustrated with the game in real time. Again, it was the inability to quickly jump on the Jets throat. After having a nice long opening drive to score, with vast majority of yardage coming on passing plays, Hackett inexplicably ran on 1st & 2nd downs on succeeding drives following the first two INTs. It was that sequence, followed by the third quarter when the game was still in play that they stuck to the run, when the pass was clearly working is what gets people worked up.

Great to lay down 43 points, but the team shouldn't count on 6 turnovers and average drive starts at the 50 for many more games.

Spot on.

Edited by GreggyT

This did not annoy me as much as not going for it on 4th down at their 43 yard line. They punt into the endzone and now the Jets are on the 20. So silly, if you miss their previous drive picks up on the 43 if not you are at least within field goal range!

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso