Brandon Spikes

Webster Guy

I thought the Patriots got rid of Spikes because he was a head case, but then we realized that he's a solid dude, good team guy, leader etc. So what was it? He's a great thumper in the middle, but the knock on him was his coverage skills.

Today he looked like he was the slowest guy on the field by a lot. Did anyone else notice it? I understand Vick and Percy can make anyone look slow, but Brandon looked like Ray Lewis in those last few games before he retired, when all he was doing was chasing plays because he was a full step too slow. Even though Spikes is young still, I don't think he is looking very good out there as of late.

Next year Kiko, Bradham and Brown will be the guys, and Spikes isn't costing us a ton so they'll likely keep him for depth, but he really is a situational guy and these extra reps they're trying to get him these last few games is a bad idea. I think the film this week is going to be pretty bad for #51.

Edited by Webster Guy

Kiko was too small to play a traditional MLB. He was taking bad angles and getting pushed back quite a bit at the end of last season. Spikes is an upgrade in the base defense. A healthy Kiko still plays middle LB in the nickel. Sounds like Spikes is not the jerk Fitz made him out to be. If he is back it will be at a low cost. Very few even moderately paid one or two down LB's in this league.

As a Gator fan, I can tell you that Spikes has always been slow in terms of straight line speed. However, he is good between the tackles because he has great instincts. He has always looked painfully slow when put into a chase situation.

Spikes *is* slow. He's a downfield run stopper... he's basically an extra defensive lineman playing MLB.

With the way Brown is playing, and the way Bradham sometimes shows.... I'm actually ok with Kiko getting MLB reps again... but Spikes is better for MLB against certain teams. We have depth (if Spikes comes back) at the position to do different things against different opponents.