Gilmore's "tackling"

Gisele

If only we had proof that other teams don't convert long plays like a 4th and 20 or something like that.....

completely differently play, dont try and spin it...we were debating the Gilmore play which you stated as a comeback where Chandler was over the middle...lets at least talk about the same thing

if the comeback is so difficult to cover and so easy for the offense to complete then why dont we see more teams using it and convertaing 3rd and longs? fact is thats a pass that shouldnt be completed or at least should be challenged but Gilmore was nowhere in site

Yes i know i know, all CBs get beat and he was only targeted twice...so what does it say that on one of his two targets he was beat that badly for a huge first down by the offense?

Edited by Max997

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

completely differently play, dont try and spin it...we were debating the Gilmore play which you stated as a comeback where Chandler was over the middle...lets at least talk about the same thing

if the comeback is so difficult to cover and so easy for the offense to complete then why dont we see more teams using it and convertaing 3rd and longs? fact is thats a pass that shouldnt be completed or at least should be challenged but Gilmore was nowhere in site

Yes i know i know, all CBs get beat and he was only targeted twice...so what does it say that on one of his two targets he was beat that badly for a huge first down by the offense?

That QB's dont want to throw the ball his way? That on his other attempt he shut down a TD throw attempt.

way to sidestep the actual question

That is the actual question. He was only targeted two times. He gave up one first down. You're saying that's bad. The other alternative is that he never gives up one pass completion the entire game. The fact he was only targeted twice means one of two things, he had good coverage or they were scared of throwing against him, both of which are great outcomes.

I'll answer. It says that Schwartz needs to reconsider his playcalling on 3rd and long. We are constantly rushing three and playing some soft zone garbage and it's not working.

It's been working a lot. It's won us a couple games.

IMO, because the Vikings suffered the two interior injuries earlier in the game, Schwartz decided that he didn't need to blitz because our front four should dominate them. We did well a lot but gave him too much time a few times. In those situations, IMO, because we had the extra defender back there. The DBs and LBs let us down more than Schwartz or the DL. You cannot stop teams from making plays the entire game. We gave up 16 points.

It's been working a lot. It's won us a couple games.

It also lost, or nearly lost a couple games. You can't play that way against Tom Brady, for instance. We had two 3rd and long opportunities and then gave Brady plenty of time to find an open guy for the conversion. Sure, some of that is the fault of the LBs and DBs, but you give a QB enough time, especially a great one, someone will get open and he will find them. Brady can still beat a blitz, I know, but I think we better set ourselves up to make the stop with pressure and force an earlier read/throw.

It also lost, or nearly lost a couple games. You can't play that way against Tom Brady, for instance. We had two 3rd and long opportunities and then gave Brady plenty of time to find an open guy for the conversion. Sure, some of that is the fault of the LBs and DBs, but you give a QB enough time, especially a great one, someone will get open and he will find them. Brady can still beat a blitz, I know, but I think we better set ourselves up to make the stop with pressure and force an earlier read/throw.

Agreed.

We ask too much of DC (and OC for that matter) to almost always know beforehand when to just rush four and when to blitz and what defenses to call. Success sometimes hurts you down the line because it gives you a sense of over-confidence in the front four getting pressure.

The thing is, you have to pick your poison. Preston brown plays every play. For what can be expected, he's played well. For a guy at his position in the NFL, you have to protect him. Nigel Bradham is good but he hasn't played a lot. Duke Williams has been forced into a lot of action and hasn't played a lot. Robey is great as a slot guy and 15 yards in but we are seeing some weaknesses in his game further downfield. We need that extra guy back there, and for the most part our front four has been ridiculously good getting pressure with four.

I think Schwartz is just doing what is necessary and overall he's doing a terrific job.

Agreed.

We ask too much of DC (and OC for that matter) to almost always know beforehand when to just rush four and when to blitz and what defenses to call. Success sometimes hurts you down the line because it gives you a sense of over-confidence in the front four getting pressure.

The thing is, you have to pick your poison. Preston brown plays every play. For what can be expected, he's played well. For a guy at his position in the NFL, you have to protect him. Nigel Bradham is good but he hasn't played a lot. Duke Williams has been forced into a lot of action and hasn't played a lot. Robey is great as a slot guy and 15 yards in but we are seeing some weaknesses in his game further downfield. We need that extra guy back there, and for the most part our front four has been ridiculously good getting pressure with four.

I think Schwartz is just doing what is necessary and overall he's doing a terrific job.

Absolutely. By and large I am very happy with this defense.