Is Officiating Ruining the Game?

The rate of over-officiating seems to be increasing on direct relation to the growth of government. We live in a rule-obsessed society.

We'll said. And true. The minutiae of our lives is increasingly being controlled by control freaks. The NFL is no exception. One rule begets another begets another begets another bureaucracy to manage it. It's relentless. There are so many rules it's become impossible to enforce them consistently.

It starts with these off-season meetings where the competition committee decides how they're going to tweak the game. It's all geared towards more offense =more fan excitement = more viewers = more advertising/more swag sold/more concessions.

ALL EQUALING more $ to the owners.

Right on. The casual fan might like a lot of offense, but many of us enjoy good defensive play just as much. If it weren't for FF &/or gambling, viewership would be down.

Can we talk about the call no call penalties? There were a couple of them. Do the officials confer and then decide since it's in the Bills favor they should pick it up? That Watkins call was one of the worst I've ever seen. And then the explanation was that the "contact" was legal. Since when is contact with a receiver with the ball in the air legal? I think we deserve an explanation on that one. That was a crucial 3rd down that cost us at least 3 points and almost the game

A DB has just as much right to go for the football as a WR. Sometimes, a DB's legitimate efforts to try to catch the ball result in incidental contact. Incidental contact is considered legal.

But a DB isn't allowed to hug a WR, hold down his arms, or otherwise interfere with the WR's attempt to catch the football. The play you're describing is one of the most blatant cases of pass interference I've ever seen. A terrible, terrible non-call by the officials. If the NFL ever decided to start fining officials for missed calls or bad non-calls, that play would be a textbook example of an officiating call bad enough to deserve a fine.