16th picks in the draft the past 10 years......let's be fair

I think people are overreacting to EJ's slow growth process. It's not like he was a top 10 pick, like Tanneyhill, Locker, Gabbert, Bradford, Sanchez, Jamarcus, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, David Carr. He was taken 16th, and here are the last several 16th picks.

Manuel, Quentin Coples, Ryan Kerrigan, Derrick Morgan, Larry English, Rodgers-Cromatrie, Jason Allen and Travis Johnson.

People trash the Bills like this pick was the most precious pick in draft history. Gotta give the kid time on the bench to see if he's got the goods.

If we target somebody in the first round next year, we can make a move and get one. For now, I think we're doing the right thing.

I just wanted to give historical examples of failed first round quarterbacks. And a great big pile of mediocre players chosen at number 16. The Bills got who they wanted at 16, and used the bonus pick on a certain linebacker who shall remain nameless till he chooses to return. Had they taken EJ number 8 and not gotten Kiko, that may have been a lot more of a disaster.

Let's look at the Rams. They chose Greg Robinson number 2 this year, and he hasn't seen the field yet. A few years ago they took a tackle from Baylor, Jason Smith, number 2 in the draft. I'm not sure they've gotten their money's worth on Tavon Austin either.

Edited by TC in St. Louis

I am looking at last years draft right now as Kiko, Woods, Goodwin as 1,2,3. This year sammy, seantrel, Preston.. And mike Williams in the 6th.

Next year we could very well get a player in the 2nd worthy of the 1st round and everyone can breathe again.

As for EJ, the timing of the pick clashed with what happened to 1) Kolb and 2)ownership. Kolbs injury forced him to start too soon as a project QB and new ownership didn't allow him time to get to where the team needed him to be quickly enough. Add to that the extreme pressure he had to be under from all angles. Hope he bounces back. He seems like a great kid.

it continues to amaze me how people go out of their way to make excuses for EJ. At least this was a new spin on an old excuse

I never understand the point of comparing failures to other teams like it's supposed to make fans feel better. I don't care about what other teams do or where they took players so it certainly doesn't make me feel better

"Gotta give the kid time on the bench to see if he's got the goods."....what does that even mean? How will putting him on the bench show anyone if he's got the goods? Makes no sense

Edited by Max997

The issue is accuracy. It is a very difficult thing to teach and EJ misses way too many throws, especially to wide open receivers. He looks so unnatural in the pocket....almost stiff...I don't know that EJ will ever get to the degree of accuracy needed to achieve success in the NFL.

it continues to amaze me how people go out of their way to make excuses for EJ. At least this was a new spin on an old excuse

I never understand the point of comparing failures to other teams like it's supposed to make fans feel better. I don't care about what other teams do or where they took players so it certainly doesn't make me feel better

"Gotta give the kid time on the bench to see if he's got the goods."....what does that even mean? How will putting him on the bench show anyone if he's got the goods? Makes no sense

Does it make you feel better that Kyle Orton is the QB?

The handling of the QB position in Buffalo is keystone cop incompetence over the past 15 years. They trade for when they should not, draft too early, then not at all. Cut when you need a veteran.

Just once I'd like the see the Bills find the river instead of the rocks.

EJ has made those throws in other games and in practice. His inaccuracy in the past 2 games was alarming. Look at his poor mechanics. They are a mess. Step into the throws instead off his back foot. His biggest hindrance is his offensive line. They have been awful in the past 2 games. Orton is not mobile and they will get him killed if they don't block better. EJ, was never an elite talent but I thought a middle of the pack kind of guy who can manage the offense. Run the ball first and establish line dominance. The O-line will be in the spot light again against a very good Detroit Defense.

Look, man. He's only played 14 games. Most quarterbacks sit the pines for a couple years. Look at the Packers. If it doesn't make sense to you, that's fine. It makes sense to me. What should we do, cut the guy?

EJ has made those throws in other games and in practice. His inaccuracy in the past 2 games was alarming. Look at his poor mechanics. They are a mess. Step into the throws instead off his back foot. His biggest hindrance is his offensive line. They have been awful in the past 2 games. Orton is not mobile and they will get him killed if they don't block better. EJ, was never an elite talent but I thought a middle of the pack kind of guy who can manage the offense. Run the ball first and establish line dominance. The O-line will be in the spot light again against a very good Detroit Defense.

He panics. He needs to learn the art of cool.

The part about comparing 16th picks in the draft is to illustrate a point that maybe the 16th pick is not guaranteed to be a success, and if they whiffed on it, it's not that big a deal in the big picture. Moveon.org.