Pettine vs. Saints offense 2013?

I am trying to find some optimism for our Game 2 Sunday vs. New Orleans. Frankly, I am pretty scared, but was wondering if any of you remember whether Pettine had any success against Brees, Payton & Co. I looked at the score and saw they scored 30+ but also looked like a lot of that was toward the end. Were they able to run and pass at will? Did you get pressure on Brees? Did Byrd play? Were you able to contain Jimmy Graham? I wondering if having Byrd on the other side here will hurt us, since he knows Pettine's defense and can break it down to Payton (if even that is needed).

I thought Hoyer ended up having a very good 2nd half in Pitt and I am hoping that since the Saints typically don't play as well on the road, and gave up a lot of points to Atlanta last week, maybe we have a chance. Our 1st rounder Gilbert has had a rough start and Haden will really need to be in lock down. Any insight from last year, Bills fans?

Graham was very limited but scored in his limited red zone snaps

Hughes filling in for Lawson was a big hole

Not a great day but I've seen the saints do far worse to teams in the dome

As for Byrd knowing pettine... Pettine is a Rex Ryan guy... Rob is the saints ryan. Saints should be pretty familiar philosophically.

Edited by NoSaint

The saints game is on NFL replay right now. The Saints look great on offense but ATL's D is very suspect; I think Cleveland's is much better. Saints D did give up points but Matty Ice playing out of his mind.

I recall us getting pressure on Brees last year but we had coverage issues. I believe we contained the run pretty well but I think Sproles was either out or limited.

That changes my view a little-- maybe the Brownies can keep it relatively close. I still can't see that defense meaningfully stopping the Saints; the Steelers--at least during the 1st half--really picked the Browns apart. But who knows?

Antonio Brown smoked Hayden in the 1st half and Gilbert was tragic. I think Buster Skrines might see more time than the rook this week on the outside. Whiffner v. Jimmy Graham - well...