TD is setting up to get a player out of Miami

Maybe they should just bring in a few Bills fans and let them pick who they want off the Dolphins roster and then TD can send them Travis in return

221512[/snapback]

How fun would that be????

Hey Nicky Saban, I'll take Chambers, McMichael and Surtain. You can have Henry and Rian Lindell.

Thanks buddy.

I am not sure of the salary ramifications, but I would take Randy McMichael.  I know he is a punk, but a pretty good offensive threat.  Whether it is Drew or JP starting next year, either would benefit from a bonifide offensive weapon at TE.  I like the three TE's we have, but so far, they have not done much to distinguish themselves from one another.  All may be better blockers than McMichael, but none is as big a threat to catch a 7 yard pass, and break it for 30 yards.

Incidently, I would have taken Ogunleye last year, for Henry.  Miami pretty much ended up giving him away to Chicago....

221244[/snapback]

Randy will be a UFA after the 2005 season and will want top 3 TE money. I

don't see us spening big dollars on TE on this roster.

Randy will be a UFA after the 2005 season and will want top 3 TE money. I

don't see us spening big dollars on TE on this roster.

221634[/snapback]

You may be right, but lets just say the trade did take place, and McMichael produced like a top 5 TE, say like a Gonzaelz, Crumpler, or Whitten. His production in the receiveing game would lessen the importance of guys like Josh Reed, Sam Aiken, Fred Smith, etc. etc.

Bottom line, if he is a major part of the offense, TD will work out a deal with him. TE is the one position that he seems to be constantly on the move to upgrade. The three guys we got are all sound, decent blockers, and decent receivers, but not explosive. McMichael, or someone of his calliber, could really not only help the offense out tremedously, but could also help JP Losman's (or Bledsoe for that matter) transition as a starter that much smoother, and sucessful...I agree the trade likely won't happen, just answering the original question. I seriously doubt that Henry ends up in Miami.

I sm getting so psyched up. I am really having to work at not getting prematurely excited about the potential to actually get some real value for Henry rather than a mere draft choice.

TD is quoted in two FLA papers making comments that trading Henry within the division is defintely doable at the right price.  Its nice to see that the Miami media and thus the fans deem the trade for Travis talk as newsworthy and thus a not unreasonable thing to do,

The articles also provided some new news to me because they quote Nick Saban as saying getting an RB is critical for the team.  Again, this is not news as their RB deficits are clear, but it is new to here Saban setting the table for them to spend valuable resources of some kind to get an RB.

Finally, the real kicker here for me are the TD quotes:

Are the Bills seeking a second-round draft choice for Henry?

"You could look at it that way," Donahoe said. "We want to do something that is fair, whether it's a player, a draft pick or a pick and a player.

"We want something that would indicate somebody is serious about having Travis. And if they are, we told his agent to have them call us and we'll take it from there."

Miami does not have a second round draft choice so if this deal is going to get it done then its got to be a player or a pick and a player to allow the Bills to say yes.

The other option of course are even higher value future picks, but my personal feeling isthat even current fraft picks are so speculative as to have a reasonable shot at giving you delayed or no value and future picks are even more potentially worthless.

Some folks may argue that a good GM values the future because the future one day will be the present.  This certainly true, but the present is definitely the present and after 4 years of no playoffs, TD appears in no danger, but playing to make the playoffs right now has got to be a priority for TD, Ralph and the Bills so in my mind trading Travis for even a first rounder in 2006 is worthless for this year and thus pretty worthless to me and I suspect TD as well.

221215[/snapback]

I don't think TD is as short sighted as you are. If ofered a #1 in 2006 I would take it, and I think TD would also.

Incidently, I would have taken Ogunleye last year, for Henry.  Miami pretty much ended up giving him away to Chicago....

221244[/snapback]

But he was a restricted free agent and he was due a gigantic payday. That's why they had to give him away.

possable trades:

P. Surtain for Henry. (would be nice)

J. Taylor for Henry and a 3rd rounder. (would be great, but NO WAY IN HELL WILL THIS HAPPEN)

possable releases from miami:

R. Konrad (would be HUGE for us)

221560[/snapback]

Surtain? After the Moulds spitting issue?

Never going to happen. And I don't want that jerk on the team anyway. He's seen his best years and we are pretty much set in the defensive backfield. We just need backups at CB.

But he was a restricted free agent and he was due a gigantic payday.  That's why they had to give him away.

222532[/snapback]

they had to "give him away" because they screwed up and didn't deal him when they had the chance i.e. spring, before the draft........when will teams learn that it's not smart to stare down these types of guys? just cash out, trade him in the spring when they're is a market, and move on........

green bay dropped the ball with mckenzie in the same fashion and also sold themselves short.......they could have dealt him before the draft for more.......

I don't think TD is as short sighted as you are. If ofered a #1 in 2006 I would take it, and I think TD would also.

222526[/snapback]

I definitely agree that TD is not as short-sighted as me. He is the GM who has to put bacon on the table through job performance and I'm just a fan who can hatch all sorts of plots and suggest outrageous risks.

However, I think the things which I see that put TD more toward my future is now thinking than a George Halas throws nickels around like their manhole covers approach are:

1. The unlikely aspiration for the Bills when they came here was a three year plan to make the playoffs and compete for it all. He's moving into his fifth year and while the 3 year plan was an unlikely aspiration given the cap hell TD inherited when he got here, 4 years without even a playoff berth is a long time and for Ralph who signs the checks and is not getting younger the absence is even longer. TD must have a long-term view but he does need to produce on the field now and that is also real. Getting a draft choice who will almost certainly pay off not next season but the season after that compared to a player who might make us a playoff team now is a rough deal.

2. TD's handling of the draft as a Bill clearly devalues the #1 pick as some sort of Holy Grail the team must have. He simply has a history of using it as a tool which he has been quite willing to trade away even within the division to meet immediate needs (Bledsoe), be inventive in acquiring a new one from next to nothing (PP), use that newly acquired #1 for a speculative pick with no immediate payoff (WM), or trade the future #1 again because the market dictated getting a guy who needed training now who seemed a better choice than what would likely be available in 2005 (JP).

TD seems to see that in what is generally thought to be a weak draft, that the cap hit that comes with a #1 choice this year may be a negative so acquiring a player for Henry is more than useful and getting value for him from the draft next year is not a straight-forward process since we lose out big on the time issue as it raises both cap management and contribution on the field in 2006 issues to have 2 #1s in 2006. Does that draft look that strong? What are our likely needs that year (Clements is an FA?)

3. Who else is involved is a factor. One of the wildcards I see for the Bills (which I may post on later as there are many uncertainties it would be good to get info on and different perspectives I have not reached conclusions about) is I do wonder how former TE MM views developing the TE position and its role.

MM clearly values TE contribution as a former TE, but also seems to see his knowledge of the position allowing him to squeeze solid development out of prospects like Peters and also to get potential good players like Euhus to step up to greatness.

I'm not sure whether he would view a McMichael as unnecaary because he feels he and Clements are good enough to get good production out of Euhus, Campbell, Peters, Trafford, Neufeld even if none are atthe Shannon Sharpe level, or alternately does he feel that the can take a very good producer like McMichael and make him great.

At any rate, I think that TD is looking at the whole picture and making decisions that he feels will allow us to win now and win in the future.

My sense is that after a heart-breaking loss to Pitts 3rd and 4th string, the future weighs even more heavily on him as a motivator.