Worst Draft In Bills History

Following up on a comment I made on another site, I vote for the 2000 draft as the worst draft in the Bills' history. What's your pick for the worst draft in Bills' history?

Take a look at John Butler’s last draft, when he may have known he was leaving. This draft really hurt the Bills, given that the previous season was the last season the Bills made the playoffs.

Round Pick Player Position College Notes

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DE UTEP

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

After this draft, with his contract due to expire in Feb. 2001, Butler refused to negotiate a new contract during the summer and fall, and was let go by Ralph Wilson before the end of the regular season in 2000.

Edited by bookeredgerson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the OP's handle as I interviewed Booker a couple years ago. He was an excellent person to chat with for an hour or so.

That said, yes, the 2000 draft set the team backwards to a point that the team still hasn't recovered, unfortunately.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FAN-BASE? It's becoming embarrassing. Talk about beaten dog syndrome.

It's depressing isn't it? This is the crap people talk about right before the season owner?

Man, if Rachel would have went out with me in 3rd grade, my life would be so much better. Damn. :(

My handle kind of gives away the fact that I started following the team in 1964. So I've spent 50 years with the good and the bad, and I always return optimistic for the next season. Looking back on one of that particular draft might make you feel better about more recent drafts, even with a clunker or two in every draft.

The 2002 draft also deserves to be part of this discussion

1 4 Mike Williams, OT

2 36 Josh Reed, WR

2 61 Ryan Denny, DE

3 97 Coy Wire, SS

5 139 Justin Bannan, DT

6 176 Kevin Thomas, CB

7 215 Mike Pucillo, G

7 249 Rodney Wright (no position listed)

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson (no position listed)

7 260 Dominique Stephenson (LB)

Josh Reed spent about three years as a starter, and several more as a backup. So that's something from this draft. But other than him, that draft produced nothing at all.

Granted, the 2000 draft didn't even give us a decent #3/4 WR like Josh Reed. However, the draft of 2000 represented the squandering of the 26th overall pick (700 points). The draft of 2002 represented the squandering of the 4th overall pick (1800 points) :angry: In terms of total value squandered, 2002 was even worse than 2000.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

My handle kind of gives away the fact that I started following the team in 1964. So I've spent 50 years with the good and the bad, and I always return optimistic for the next season. Looking back on one of that particular draft might make you feel better about more recent drafts, even with a clunker or two in every draft.

I truly respect your commitment. I'm 33 so I've only had the Bills be terrible for half my life. The other half was great.

Here's to the next third being amazing!

It's depressing isn't it? This is the crap people talk about right before the season owner?

Man, if Rachel would have went out with me in 3rd grade, my life would be so much better. Damn. :(

You blew it dude. Rachel was one hot babe. Even went to 1st base on the first date, if the rumors are true. You really couldda been somebody!

Yes that was one crappy draft and Butler's FU to the Bills, I think. But it's been too many years for it to be an issue with the current team.

Despite his later transgressions, I got to see Simpson running in his prime. Got to see that fantastic Bills defense in the 60's and Lamonica throwing for the Bills. Loved the receivers the Bills had in the early 70's(?) - Haven Moses, Marlin Briscoe, Bobby Chandler, and JD Hill, the Chuck Knox teams, and the 4 Super Bowl teams. That 2000-2010 decade was the only decade when the Bills didn't make any waves, but I attribute that in part to Wilson's aging.

You blew it dude. Rachel was one hot babe. Even went to 1st base on the first date, if the rumors are true. You really couldda been somebody!

Yes that was one crappy draft and Butler's FU to the Bills, I think. But it's been too many years for it to be an issue with the current team.

First base on the first date? That's a little too fast for my tastes. :)

Despite his later transgressions, I got to see Simpson running in his prime. Got to see that fantastic Bills defense in the 60's and Lamonica throwing for the Bills. Loved the receivers the Bills had in the early 70's(?) - Haven Moses, Marlin Briscoe, Bobby Chandler, and JD Hill, the Chuck Knox teams, and the 4 Super Bowl teams. That 2000-2010 decade was the only decade when the Bills didn't make any waves, but I attribute that in part to Wilson's aging.

That's pretty awesome. I love the Bills unis from that era. And I grew up as kid thinking the Bills were losers because they lost SBs. Oh man, how much do things change.

As much as I want the Bills win for me, I want it for people like yourself. You deserve a winner. A tip of the cap to you sir!