Bills Fans?

bonechiller

It would have been nice if the team bucked that trend in over a decade.

And it isn't the case of coming back to dance on the grave of yet another season, it's pointing out the glaring faults that are seen in preseason, only to be met with the standard response of - it's only preseason so it doesn't matter. Or, these guys are professionals, they know what they're doing. How has that worked out?

Until the team starts playing to the expectations that it sets out (how many times have we heard, playoffs or bust), fans have the right to be skeptical.

I agree the're nothing wrong with being skeptical. That said, skepticism and negativity aren't synonymous.

Edited by Campy

Yeah, everybody likes to be the one who says " I told you so". especially when it is bad.

I've been a fan since you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. It hasnt been this bad in a long time time. To quote the Duke of Wellington: "They came on in the same old way, and we killed them in the same old way."

I made my choice based on the make up of the team. Its not negative its called being realistic.

Actually, you referred to negative several times in your post. I'm not attacking you, I'm just pointing it out. Realistically, this team has a top 10 Defense, good running backs, a good WR core, an improved O line and they brought in a backup QB to help if needed. Realistically, this team is trying to get better. Yes the coaching staff and the QB are big question marks at this point, but to say the make up of the team makes your choice realistic, I'd have to disagree, it's negativity, not realistic.

The whole "I will be happy when they win..." thing sounds good, but is probably not true. Any Red Sox fans might agree with me. For years and years, we trapsed along crying about our fate until finally winning in '04. It was nice, don't get me wrong. But I realized that some of the best times of being a fan had nothing to do with winning the World Series.

I truly believe there are negative and positive people in the world. We all have friends who are upbeat and happy and then there are the friends who always have something to complain about and they never seem to really enjoy their life. I wonder if the optimists are happier in life and the pessimists around here really are more depressed and negative in real life

I understand the frustration/hurt from previous seasons, I feel it myself. But I don't understand the negativity toward a season that hasn't even started. I prefer to look forward as a fan, not backward. It is easy to get sucked into the negativity perpetuated by the national media and which snowballs because the irrelevance of the team ensures no one, especially the national media, does any real research on the team and rather just regurgitates what they read on twitter about the preseason - which is all subjective OPINION that then turns into conclusions - unless you find someone who broke down the film. Rather than watch film or dissect a roster, coaching staff and schedule/matchups. - its all about the "hot takes." Exampls - someone says EJ stared down his WR. Now everyone uses this as "analysis." Also, it means he will never be good and the team is doomed. No one in the media cares enough to do the work, and the local media is a beaten down as the fans and negativity gets clicks and ratings. Clearly after many years of not making the playoffs, the team won't be given the benefit of the doubt. Last year's team wasn't bad. I think this year's team is better. You can choose to base your opinion on the most recent regular season, where our offense averaged 20+ pts/game with rookie QB carousel, and now has added weapons, experience and coaches, or the preseason which matters, but ultimately means nothing. I choose to look forward.

Ill be honest I don't understand why people get so upset about it, one of the things that is great about the board (and has gotten better since I have been here) has been the sense of realism. Of course you get the homers from both sides but all-in-all most people take things as they are. We get overexcited when something goes right and overreact when something goes wrong.

I've been a fan since you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. It hasnt been this bad in a long time time. To quote the Duke of Wellington: "They came on in the same old way, and we killed them in the same old way."

I don't know how long you have been a fan; however, I have been a die hard fan since the late sixties. To say "It hasn't been this bad in a long time" is to completely ignore some absolutely horrific seasons. If you are talking about the past 14 seasons in total, yes, it has been tough and hasn't been this bad in awhile. However, the team went through a stretch like this before from 1967-1979 where the team made the playoffs once, fielded some absolutely atrocious teams, and lost to Miami 20 consecutive times. This is the Bills' 54th year of existence and, during that time, they have made the playoffs only 17 times. To be honest, this team has only had two good periods in regard to playoff caliber consistency: 1963-1966 and 1989-1999. To be a long time Bills fan is to have experienced many more lows than highs.

Yet, each year I choose to go into the season with some level of hope and optimism. It is tempered by history and reality...but it is still positive. I have a deep emotional attachment to my team that can never be broken. However, in the grand scheme of things, it is still only a game. I hope they do well this year and make the playoffs. If so, I will be ecstatic with the improvement. If not, then I will be as disappointed as any fan and begin looking forward to next year with the same sense of optimism.

I understand the frustration/hurt from previous seasons, I feel it myself. But I don't understand the negativity toward a season that hasn't even started. I prefer to look forward as a fan, not backward. It is easy to get sucked into the negativity perpetuated by the national media and which snowballs because the irrelevance of the team ensures no one, especially the national media, does any real research on the team and rather just regurgitates what they read on twitter about the preseason - which is all subjective OPINION that then turns into conclusions - unless you find someone who broke down the film. Rather than watch film or dissect a roster, coaching staff and schedule/matchups. - its all about the "hot takes." Exampls - someone says EJ stared down his WR. Now everyone uses this as "analysis." Also, it means he will never be good and the team is doomed. No one in the media cares enough to do the work, and the local media is a beaten down as the fans and negativity gets clicks and ratings. Clearly after many years of not making the playoffs, the team won't be given the benefit of the doubt. Last year's team wasn't bad. I think this year's team is better. You can choose to base your opinion on the most recent regular season, where our offense averaged 20+ pts/game with rookie QB carousel, and now has added weapons, experience and coaches, or the preseason which matters, but ultimately means nothing. I choose to look forward.

Well said ^^^^^^^^