football pools --

mead107

I run a season long pool for 15 of us. The entry fee is $200 (works out to about $10/week). You pick 5 games each week. Two pro games, two college games and one more game that can be either college or pro that is your best bet. The best bet is worth 2 points while the others are worth 1 each. You start with 100 points. There is a college bowl round where you pick 4 2-point games, 1- 3-point game, and 1 4-point game. Same is true for the pro playoffs. The cherry on top of the sundae is that before the pro playoffs start, you pick the Super Bowl teams and the winner for bonus points (3 for the conference champs and 6 for the SB winner).

There is prize money for the top 3 spots and our money winners are set. It's going down to the nitty-gritty and the Super Bowl will decide the order of finish. This is the 3rd year I've run the pool and I've yet to finish in the money. I was doing great until the pro playoffs where I went 1-5. Just brutal.

I'll probably get some squares in some pools and maybe a bet on the Pats if the spread narrows. Nothing too big, though. $100 at most. I might be tempted for a teaser on the Pats and the under, but I'm not feeling it right now.

I STARTED ONE FOR 20/SQ. $500 per quarter. the 1st 3 qtrs, the winning square gets 200 and the surrounding squares act as "good neighbors" and they divie up the remaining 300. the final score, that winning square gets 500, no neighbors.

so if you spread out, you get a chance for multiple hits. I won 140 net last week on a playoff pool. spent 20 bucks.