The Bills' method of losing is unsustainable

Its my opinion that the Bills can continue to lose well into the foreseeable future. Its more than just turnovers. Over the past 15 years we've seen losses which defied the laws of physics wherein a forward pass moved backward, iced the kicker before a failed attempt, last second missed field goals, defensive breakdowns, INTs, fumbles, muffed punts, special teams meltdowns, total mismanagement of the clock, even divine intervention. The Bills methods for losing are so broadly diversified that they can overcome any lucky break, favorable bounce or preferential call and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have a friend in Boston who is a Pat's fan. Every week during football season he asks me "what new way to lose a football game will the Bills invent this week?" followed by "the Bills aren't as bad as they seem.........on paper".

Coincidentally, "unfortunate series of events that isn't likely to repeat" has been our rationale for 15 years.

This is true.

I have a friend in Boston who is a Pat's fan. Every week during football season he asks me "what new way to lose a football game will the Bills invent this week?" followed by "the Bills aren't as bad as they seem.........on paper".

Jebus that must be painful . . . because it is true.

I wish the Bills just played all of their games on paper....

I am starting to think circling the wagons is synonymous with finding unique and improbable ways to lose.... And it's all Chris Berman's fault

Someone here once said something to the effect, "Quit circling the damn wagons! Form a wedge and CHARGE!!!!" Someone should send this to Berman. I bet he could make it catchier.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

The title is a bit of a joke based on a thread from a few years ago when we were 4-1, largely resulting from a large turnover differential in our favor. It will be clear to me that anyone who responds with some numbskull comment about 15 seasons of sustainable losing did not actually read the post.

It seems many here are ready to throw in the towel (or have already done so) based on one half of football where three separate players caused three costly turnovers. This leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it doesn't bode well that the team completely self destructed in the first half.

With that said, IMO it is very unlikely that we will see these kind of ball security issues (at least at this level) continue. And if you take away (or reduce) the turnovers, I think Saturday's game looks very different, and maybe the panic / hysteria is slightly reduced?

I'm not saying it's good that we had so many turnovers, I'm not saying we should overlook the loss, or the way the team seemed to fall apart after a few bad plays, although I did take some comfort in the fact that they seemed to rebound in the second half. I'm not even saying I'm optimistic going into this season.

I am saying it's usually not as bad as you think after a loss, and it's usually not as good as you think after a win (or even when you're 4-1.) We'll see where things shake out, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

This is an extremely rational reaction. It doesn't mean the Bills won't stink this season, but it offers more reason to watch them than the (understandable) knee-jerk pessimism that seems to prevail right now.