New Pink Floyd Album and Tour?

slothrop

This would be huge. I would easily drop $200 for a ticket. When I saw Waters do the Wall at MSG, I was praying that Gilmour would show up. He didn't (was still a monumental performance), but a new album and tour would make up for it.

I saw Waters do The Wall at Citzens Bank Park in Philly and was completely blown away by the show, granted the visuals had a lot to do with it, but musically, Waters and his band were incredible. Saw them on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at the Carrier Dome and that was also an incredible performance. This would be incredible news, but first I need to cross Macca off my bucket list.

This would be huge. I would easily drop $200 for a ticket. When I saw Waters do the Wall at MSG, I was praying that Gilmour would show up. He didn't (was still a monumental performance), but a new album and tour would make up for it.

I saw Waters do The Wall at Citzens Bank Park in Philly and was completely blown away by the show, granted the visuals had a lot to do with it, but musically, Waters and his band were incredible. Saw them on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour at the Carrier Dome and that was also an incredible performance. This would be incredible news, but first I need to cross Macca off my bucket list.

Macca comes off of my list on Saturday in Albany. I am absolutely GIDDY with excitement.

i am hoping he adds more shows once he heals...i think i would probably cry if i got to see him, and i suspect i would not be the only 50+ year old male in the audience crying

Macca comes off of my list on Saturday in Albany. I am absolutely GIDDY with excitement.

i am hoping he adds more shows once he heals...i think i would probably cry if i got to see him, and i suspect i would not be the only 50+ year old male in the audience crying

When I saw Jimmy Page in concert I got weak in the knees when I saw him walking up the stairs at side stage on his way to perform.

When I saw the Police for the first time, it was more butterflies and a feeling of pure awe.

Page was in 1987, probably 5 years after becoming a Zeppelin fan.

Police were in 2007 ... and I was a big fan dating back to 1982

I have no idea what impact seeing Sir Paul is going to have on me (physically). I've been a McCartney fan since 1981. I was more into his solo stuff than I was into the Beatles for many years. Since then, I've gotten way more into the Beatles, but have never lost interest in Sir Paul's solo stuff (not so much the new stuff, admittedly).

I'm just gonna "let it be."

RxSo, a buddy from work invited me to see 311 tomorrow night. Has anyone here ever been to one of their shows?

Sorry to go off topic. Im a huge Floyd fan - saw them in Dallas in '95ish (tripped balls, lol).

Anyway my buddy and I are also both big metal fans, so I was a bit surprised when he told me that 311 is his favorite concert band and that he's seen them live 12 times. He says it is a great show, and there are lots and lots of fine females at their show.

I like 311, but they don't even crack my top 100. But a great live performance could persuade me otherwise.

Anyone here seen them before?

In the link I posted earlier, both Waters and Gilmour are known to be working on separate albums. Perhaps Gilmour can call his a Floyd album based on the lawsuit that Waters lost against his former bandmates. I certainly hope it is good but, IMO, based on their solo projects thus far, their collaborative work in Floyd has been better than their individual accomplishments. My favorite solo may be Wright's 'Wet Dream' which can be difficult to find. Btw - I am quite the PF fanatic as a few on TBD can attest based on unreleased and live PF recordings I have sent them and I am a contributor on Yeeshkul. I mention that because I had been a firm believer that other bands did not do Floyd very well. I stand corrected as there is a band from NYC, The Machine, that tours and does an admirable and creative job with Floyd music. They are all good musicians, fairly young, and will sometimes spin their own take on the songs...and they also play early Floyd. :worthy:

http://www.themachinelive.com/tour/

seems like the rumors of a new album may be true, no word on whether Roger Waters is involved

http://www.straight....ink-floyd-album

Edited by Mr Info

I get where you are coming from...pink Floyd isn't pink floyd without all the members...but if they want to record an album minus one or two....I guess I'll have to take what they are offering. I am not even close to the fan that you are, so I completely understand your POV.

In the link I posted earlier, both Waters and Gilmour are known to be working on separate albums. Perhaps Gilmour can call his a Floyd album based on the lawsuit that Waters lost against his former bandmates. I certainly hope it is good but, IMO, based on their solo projects thus far, their collaborative work in Floyd has been better than their individual accomplishments. My favorite solo may be Wright's 'Wet Dream' which can be difficult to find. Btw - I am quite the PF fanatic as a few on TBD can attest based on unreleased and live PF recordings I have sent them and I am a contributor on Yeeshkul. I mention that because I had been a firm believer that other bands did not do Floyd very well. I stand corrected as there is a band from NYC, The Machine, that tours and does an admirable and creative job with Floyd music. They are all good musicians, fairly young, and will sometimes spin their own take on the songs...and they also play early Floyd. :worthy:

http://www.themachinelive.com/tour/

Ditto. I will certainly pick it up and listen to it and I look forward to hearing it. I am optimistic but my expectations are not high.

Some bands can lose a member and still make good music together. The Stones lost Brian Jones like Floyd lost Syd Barrett and both evolved into better bands. CSN made some good music without Neil Young. The Dead lost Pigpen but Donna and Keith brought something different to the band. In the case of Pink Floyd, eventually Roger Waters wanted to create everything. I like the concept of 'The Wall' and the production is amazing live. I saw Floyd do it and have also seen Waters perform it twice and they were all outstanding. But I do not believe it's musically as good as their previous work. The Final Cut was, for the most part, songs that were cut from The Wall. IMO, the best music that Floyd made was when all members were contributing. Waters wrote great lyrics and Gilmour and Wright (along with Waters and Mason) crafted outstanding music. A bunch of their split was Waters' ego but Wright's lack of contribution after WYWH may have been due to a well-documented drug problem and depression from his divorce. It was an acrimonious end but better than trotting them out and playing greatest hits tours (though, to be honest, I did enjoy their last appearance together at the Live 8 concert). I have all their solo stuff and I like it and listen to it but (again, IMO) their individual talent does not match their collaborative talent.

I get where you are coming from...pink Floyd isn't pink floyd without all the members...but if they want to record an album minus one or two....I guess I'll have to take what they are offering. I am not even close to the fan that you are, so I completely understand your POV.

seems like the rumors of a new album may be true, no word on whether Roger Waters is involved

http://www.straight....ink-floyd-album

I heard, on the radio yesterday, that there is a new album due for an October release. It's stuff that was recorded, "many years ago," and mostly instrumental. That's all they said; no mention of whether Gilmour and/or Waters played on the recordings.

i think it is BASED on recording sessions from back then, not necessarily the sessions themselves....it confused me when i read that but that is my take away

I heard, on the radio yesterday, that there is a new album due for an October release. It's stuff that was recorded, "many years ago," and mostly instrumental. That's all they said; no mention of whether Gilmour and/or Waters played on the recordings.

i think it is BASED on recording sessions from back then, not necessarily the sessions themselves....it confused me when i read that but that is my take away

Yup. Here you have it.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6150349/pink-floyd-confirms-october-release-of-the-endless-river-describes-album-as

I, personally, did not like any of the Water-less Pink Floyd. And it's not that I'm a big Waters fan; I also wasn't crazy about his solo stuff. I like what the two of them were able to do together. If/when the two of them collaborate again, I will be very excited. I think this is cool ... but it's not my thing. I'm happy for the Pink Floyd fans who like the Water-less era. I know there are lots of them.

I like much of the vintage Pink Floyd stuff. This new thing sounds like a hot ripe turd to me. Some noodly reworkings of outtakes from the Division Bell? Ambient...instrumental...? No thanks.

The title, "The Endless River" sounds like it was named after their marketing strategy.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I like much of the vintage Pink Floyd stuff. This new thing sounds like a hot ripe turd to me. Some noodly reworkings of outtakes from the Division Bell? Ambient...instrumental...? No thanks.

The title, "The Endless River" sounds like it was named after their marketing strategy.

I am biased because I am a huge Floyd fan, but "bad" floyd (i would argue that there is no bad floyd) is like bad sex - it is still awesome!