Survivor - Caleb Bankston has died

Just Jack

Wow... Just reading the details of the story. Tragic.

Speaking of railway accidents... My father worked as a conductor on the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad and would unload/load (I forget which) coal @ the foot of Erie Street (now the Erie Basin Marina) in BFLO. The hopper cars would slide down an incline and then back up and then down the side spur (@ least how I was told and picturing it). Picture that being right where the Erie Basin Marina is now, across from Chinaman's (cringe @ the unPC-name, what else do they call it?) and the present day Coast Guard Station. There, if a conductor ran into a pickle, one had the option to ditch into the water of The Lake/harbor/river. I don't think it happened with him, but the option to ditch into the water was open. My grandfather saw a guy caught between the couplings of two cars. It was so bad they called his priest in to deliver last rights before pulling the cars apart to tend to him. All the while the cars were together, the guy was alert. How would you like to be the spouse called into that situation? I think this was in the 30's, so you know there was not much they could do medically, guys whole body was being held together by the cars.

Crazy... Big industrial accidents really suck. Here @ work along the lockwall we have "body blocks" stationed every 100 or so feet. If anybody (say a deckhand on a barge) ever slipped between the wall and the boat, you would immediately throw a bunch of them in the water between the wall and boat... Hopefully that would give the person enough clearance so as not to get crushed between the boat and wall.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Tragic. Speaking of workplace accidents, I work in the middle of dozens of stainless steel tanks full of hundreds of thousands of gallons of high proof alcohol. I'm running toward the flames, not away.

Wow... Just reading the details of the story. Tragic.

Speaking of railway accidents... My father worked as a conductor on the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad and would unload/load (I forget which) coal @ the foot of Erie Street (now the Erie Basin Marina) in BFLO. The hopper cars would slide down an incline and then back up and then down the side spur (@ least how I was told and picturing it). Picture that being right where the Erie Basin Marina is now, across from Chinaman's (cringe @ the unPC-name, what else do they call it?) and the present day Coast Guard Station. There, if a conductor ran into a pickle, one had the option to ditch into the water of The Lake/harbor/river. I don't think it happened with him, but the option to ditch into the water was open. My grandfather saw a guy caught between the couplings of two cars. It was so bad they called his priest in to deliver last rights before pulling the cars apart to tend to him. All the while the cars were together, the guy was alert. How would you like to be the spouse called into that situation? I think this was in the 30's, so you know there was not much they could do medically, guys whole body was being held together by the cars.

Crazy... Big industrial accidents really suck. Here @ work along the lockwall we have "body blocks" stationed every 100 or so feet. If anybody (say a deckhand on a barge) ever slipped between the wall and the boat, you would immediately throw a bunch of them in the water between the wall and boat... Hopefully that would give the person enough clearance so as not to get crushed between the boat and wall.

Like the movie Signs. Can't imagine what is was like for him knowing that as soon as they are moved, he was done. Horrible.

Tragic. Speaking of workplace accidents, I work in the middle of dozens of stainless steel tanks full of hundreds of thousands of gallons of high proof alcohol. I'm running toward the flames, not away.

That is crazy. The fumes/vapors are more dangerous, right? When we get tankers that lock through, an empty tanker is more dangerous than say a barge load(s) of 3,200 bbls of jet fuel. Pleasure craft are not allowed to lock through w/tankers/hazmat... They always give me a hard time when they hear the tanker(s) are empty. The scary chem crap is the benzene... Hate to see that rip open! Free leukemia for everyone!

Like the movie Signs. Can't imagine what is was like for him knowing that as soon as they are moved, he was done. Horrible.

Yeah, totally horrible. I never seen the movie, have to check it out! Both my father and grandfather (and his uncles) worked on the railroad... Incident happened before my father's time. Safety was probably not as good as it is now. Heck, they'd even used agent orange to clear the track ballast of weeds. My father said that his boots and pants would be soaked... Not goooood, not gooood @ all!