Vince Young officially retires

I think it's o bad that when a player get's a bad rap they don't get a REAL second chance …

Contrary to some popular opinion, VY was given several second chances. He just didn't have the mental capacity to make any other NFL roster. "Winging it" by using your physical talents alone doesn't work.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's definitely official, I think... "

Box of rocks > VY

I think he was referring to his experiences in Green Bay and Cleveland....he would sign somewhere if he was guranteed a chance to stick on a roster. When Ted Thompson let him go in Green Bay, he said that it was 'on him"...he felt that if he had signed Young earlier in the off-season, he could have made the roster. As I recall, Young played better than their third QB in his limited pre-season last summer in GB (sorry, can't remember who it was off the top of my head) and getting cut by the Packers was a "mild surprise" to a lot who followed the team. Perhaps he wasn't picking up the offense quick enough?

As for Cleveland, he was simply and arm for their first set of OTA's... like I said earlier, unless he was just incredibly out of shape, I am not sure how they could have done much of an assessment.

Who cares... VY failed every where he went.

Well, not that it necessarily means he is a great QB, but he is 31-18 as a starting NFL QB. He may not have been the reason the Ttians won that many games with him as a starter (13-3 one year), but that is an indication that he can (or could) start in the NFL, and he is capable of doing enough to, at the very least, not cost his team those games.

I thought the Bills were foolish to cut him when they did. If rumors are to be believed, the Bills were spooked because somebody came to a Bills practice to "serve him" on some financial issues. He wasn't fantastic, but he wasn't awufl either. He was certainly more capable of a big play than Fitz was...just think he is the kind of guy, when he was still in the game, at the very least, who could come in and bail a team out on a bad day, with his athleticism. He did it time and again with the Titans... made a big game changing play or two, almost every game... I remember him doing it twice to the Bills, pulling out games with his legs, and huge arm, when the Bills were otherwise dominating the Titans.

There must be something about his personality that keeps him from sticking anywhere...I just don't see how there is no room for him on any NFL roster, particularly when you see some of the junk teams have to drag out when their starter gets hurt. I might not ever want him as a long-term starter...but for a game or two? Sure. Even in his couple of starts for the Eagles, he came out and played lights out his first game....looked great. Came back to earth the next week...

Well, not that it necessarily means he is a great QB, but he is 31-18 as a starting NFL QB. He may not have been the reason the Ttians won that many games with him as a starter (13-3 one year), but that is an indication that he can (or could) start in the NFL, and he is capable of doing enough to, at the very least, not cost his team those games.

I thought the Bills were foolish to cut him when they did. If rumors are to be believed, the Bills were spooked because somebody came to a Bills practice to "serve him" on some financial issues. He wasn't fantastic, but he wasn't awufl either. He was certainly more capable of a big play than Fitz was...just think he is the kind of guy, when he was still in the game, at the very least, who could come in and bail a team out on a bad day, with his athleticism. He did it time and again with the Titans... made a big game changing play or two, almost every game... I remember him doing it twice to the Bills, pulling out games with his legs, and huge arm, when the Bills were otherwise dominating the Titans.

There must be something about his personality that keeps him from sticking anywhere...I just don't see how there is no room for him on any NFL roster, particularly when you see some of the junk teams have to drag out when their starter gets hurt. I might not ever want him as a long-term starter...but for a game or two? Sure. Even in his couple of starts for the Eagles, he came out and played lights out his first game....looked great. Came back to earth the next week...

I think to a lesser extent teams would rather not have the "circus," that comes with him. I agree with the game or two. Bring in a big name backup and the QB struggles and people want him in.

I think to a lesser extent teams would rather not have the "circus," that comes with him. I agree with the game or two. Bring in a big name backup and the QB struggles and people want him in.

There are a few layers to the discussion. As a vet he costs more than a young guy. As a guy that doesn't learn the playbook cold and probably doesn't practice well, he's a terrible scout team qb. Generally speaking he doesn't strike me as a guy that'll ever win a job in the film room or OTAs- as a backup that's where you stake your claim. Being on fishers bad side is not a good place in the nfl. And his upside isn't high enough to deal with the drama.

In a lot of ways he's a starter or unemployed type - unlike a Fitzpatrick who is probably no better a starter but infinitely more employable as a vet backup.

He's better than most give him credit for but that doesn't mean he has an obvious spot in the nfl either,