Tobacco Industry

BillsNYC

And that should obviously be forced on everyone around you. 

Being forced to NOT breath in 2nd hand smoke - that's funny!

Help! I'm being forced to breath clean air! My lungs can't take all this oxygen! :w00t:

:w00t:

You're not for the rights of private property owners to allow adults to engage in legal activities at their own discretion?  Is that because you're often forced into bars against your will?

221685[/snapback]

NO...

As I've said this is a dicey proposition for my viewpoints. On one hand, I enjoy the smoke free environments. On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous to ban smoking in bars.

So, I'm torn. Pardon me for havign a Clintonian moment. :D

Lately, I've been noticing a lot of anti-tobacco ads on tv, most notably the TRUTH ads that have anti-cigarette protests in front of a tobacco company headquarters (Which living in NYC I recognize the building as the Philip Morris Headquarters.)

These ads are really starting to annoy me, and I’m now starting to side with the tobacco companies.

First off, I never smoked cigarettes and never will. I can’t stand cigarettes and hate when people light up around me. I do smoke cigars but only occasionally and its either in my home or a cigar lounge. However, I don’t care that people smoke cigarettes. If they want to smoke a butt and risk lung cancer then that’s their problem. Since the New York ban on cigarettes kicked in, I’ve had almost no contact with people smoking, which has been nice. If people need to smoke, they can do it outside or in the privacy of their homes. That’s their choice, as its their choice to smoke.

Alcohol is just as, and maybe more dangerous than tobacco, yet nobody protests the banishment of that. Or even automobiles…

Tobacco companies choose not to advertise on TV (they can, but then anti-tobacco companies can legally advertise the same amount which is why they don’t), they don’t advertise to children, and aren’t half as aggressive as they were 20 years ago. They have had to deal with ridiculous amounts of taxes, their products being banned from all public indoor places and events, and an onslaught of negative press.

I think the tobacco companies have done more than their share in warning people about the potential problems their products carry, and have complied with all of the laws against them.

In the end, its up the PEOPLE whether they want to smoke or not. These TRUTH ads should focus on THEM, not the companies. The tobacco companies simply provide a product, its up to the people to buy and use it.

217022[/snapback]

They don't "simply provide a product" Bill. They have lied and lied and lied in lawsuits, Senate Hearings and to the public. They have specifically engineered their product to burn faster so you smoke more and to be even more addictive than they would be otherwise. They have marketed to children. If making a product that kills people in droves is negative press, then yes, they have recieved lots of negative press. If getting caught shredding documents, burying studies and lying under oath generates negative press, then yes they have recieved plenty of negative press.

I am not losing any sleep over the plight of tobacco companies. People have a right to protest and the past actions of tobacco companies pretty much leaves them open to withering criticism. They reap what they sow.

Hardly.

I'm becoming a health freak. I don't want to be 40 and feel like I'm 60, know what I mean?

221321[/snapback]

No my friend, I do not.

Are you telling us that lifting the ban would hurt you SO much that you would age 20 years? Come now. :lol:

Joe, you are a good guy, and a serious MF. Honestly, you are one of the few people from whom I could even begin to dignify such a flimsy stance. THIS is how much respect I have for your service to our country, and you as a person.

Otoh, you can say what you want about blzrul, but SHE took the correct position on this issue Bro.!!! The decision should rest upon the shoulders of the property owner, not the government (nor the smoker). I hope that deep down, you are not geting "flimsied away," but in any event, I hope to see you at 1/5 this year. I promise to not contaminate you and spoil your health surge by standing too close to you if I am smoking (outdoors). :lol:

No my friend, I do not.

Are you telling us that lifting the ban would hurt you SO much that you would age 20 years? Come now.  :lol:

Joe, you are a good guy, and a serious MF. Honestly, you are one of the few people from whom I could even begin to dignify such a flimsy stance. THIS is how much respect I have for your service to our country, and you as a person.

Otoh, you can say what you want about blzrul, but SHE took the correct position on this issue Bro.!!! The decision should rest upon the shoulders of the property owner, not the government (nor the smoker). I hope that deep down, you are not geting "flimsied away," but in any event, I hope to see you at 1/5 this year. I promise to not contaminate you and spoil your health surge by standing too close to you if I am smoking (outdoors).  :lol:

222376[/snapback]

Oh hogwash I still smoke an occasional cigar. Just have given up the cigarettes.

And as I said, personally I have no problem with people smoking in bars. They still do it here in PA.

It's just nice to occasionally have a beer without the secodnhand smoke, that's all.

SHIITE... have bowling tonight and all sorts of people smoke there.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Oh hogwash I still smoke an occasional cigar. Just have given up the cigarettes.

And as I said, personally I have no problem with people smoking in bars. They still do it here in PA.

It's just nice to occasionally have a beer without the secodnhand smoke, that's all.

SHIITE... have bowling tonight and all sorts of people smoke there.

223676[/snapback]

TWO things that most cigarette smokers HATE:

1. A cigar smoker.

2. Someone who bites their fingernails.

Just an OBSERVATION!! :lol: I happen to do both.. tough smokers! :lol:

1. A cigar smoker.

Just an OBSERVATION!!  :lol:  I happen to do both.. tough smokers! :lol:

223789[/snapback]

Nothing like a nice Macanudo, Punch or Fuente after a steak dinner. Yum.

1. A cigar smoker.

Just an OBSERVATION!!  :lol:  I happen to do both.. tough smokers! :lol:

223789[/snapback]

Wow...I didn't know I was hated?

NO...

As I've said this is a dicey proposition for my viewpoints. On one hand, I enjoy the smoke free environments. On the other hand, I think it's ridiculous to ban smoking in bars.

So, I'm torn. Pardon me for havign a Clintonian moment. :rolleyes:

221838[/snapback]

I'll tell you how I deal with my Clintonian feelings on this... which I also have. On the one hand, private companies should do what they want; on the other, I hate cigarette smoke, especially in places where I eat.

My Clintonian rationalization, and it's a doozy, is this. I fully support the rights of private companies to ban/allow smoking as they see fit, but I've got other more pressing issues that I fight for (write for, vote for, monetarily support, etc.)... so if you want to fight the smoking ban, you have my silent approval.

Who's got a cigar and a blue dress?

I'll tell you how I deal with my Clintonian feelings on this... which I also have. On the one hand, private companies should do what they want; on the other, I hate cigarette smoke, especially in places where I eat.

My Clintonian rationalization, and it's a doozy, is this. I fully support the rights of private companies to ban/allow smoking as they see fit, but I've got other more pressing issues that I fight for (write for, vote for, monetarily support, etc.)... so if you want to fight the smoking ban, you have my silent approval.

Who's got a cigar and a blue dress?

224112[/snapback]

LOL

The problem for me is one of personal preference vs. political ideology.

Sorry if I insulted you in some way with my subtle mockery of Bubba.