SB Nation: NFL's best linebacker corps: Bills, 49ers lead the way

Here is Robert Woods talking about the receivers:

“On paper it looks good, but that doesn’t matter. It’s all what happens on the grass, Woods said. “We need to prove why we’re a good top three.”

After the Mario signing you read the same comments from Kyle Williams when talking about stopping the run and becoming an elite defense

(we know how that turned out). The same is true of the LBs. We've got Spikes who historically has been a solid run stopper. Kiko is playing a new position and one I feel he's much better suited for. Still, you can't ignore the fact that he tailed off last season. Can he hold the edge against a pulling guard? Can he maintain outside contain? We'll see, he certainly has potential.

Woods comments can be found here:

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone rate our LB corp as elite when we haven't played a down yet? You can make some of the positive assertions in our RB's as we rated 2nd in the NFL. last year. Meanwhile, as much as I like Kiko, we were horrible against the run.

I believe we improved over last year in talent, but they have not gelled yet, and we'll see if Spikes can defend against the pass. I would not compare these guys though to SF. Those guys are the best in the NFL.

It's a "projection." Not unlike a preseason Heisman list or preseason top 25 in CFB, it is a projection based on the production to date of the roster talent at the position and the additions/upgrades in FA and the draft. No one takes projections as gospel. They are just predictions based on the knowledge and analysis at hand. There will be many more to come this summer, some will agree and some will not.

Let's look big picture...

Very Good to Elite:

-RB's

-WR's

-DL

-LB's

-CB

Looks promising:

-OL

The two positions that We have to really wait and see are QB and S... I originally put QB under looks promising- but that's more hope than reality...

Can't say it enough... Things are looking up at OBD

• 2 weeks later...