Brady vs The Clock

I think that Tom Brady will retire in one or at the most two years. He has too good a life ahead of him to retire as a banged up cripple and I believe he will want to go out on top. The Doors that are open to he and Gisele on an international basis are unlimited. Forget Buffalo and Boston It's about Life on the jet set for them with few stops in Hollywood, Milan, Paris and Singapore to pick up periodic cash infusions. Ocasional stops to meet with agents and financial advisors at Credit Suisse or Goldman Sachs. Then back to the Riveria, Monte Carlo and Rio working in some skiing in Switzerland and Aspen. Why in the world would he want to play football beyond two years?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. I thought the title was "Brady vs. the Glock" and got excited, thinking Aron Hernandez was released.

Is it wrong that I laughed at this??

In looking at the bright side, in another thread I recall people expressing wanting to beat NE while they still have Brady. This will give us plenty more opportunities.

It sure would feel better to beat Brady and the Pats* while he still has some game...

Kellyto83TD - yup.

WRT the topic at hand, history is not on Brady's side. The drop off in QB production from age 36 to 37 is precipitous. Brady may become an outlier, but there is really no evidence to suggest he will be.

For some reason I can't embed this chart, but here are the all time numbers - the age 36 to 37 drop off is the most alarming. There is no reason to believe Brady will be any different.

http://www.profootba...posite01_sm.jpg

But this comes from a very small sample. How many 37 year old NFL QBs did they actually analyze?

It's easier to be an outlier of a small sample set than a large one.

But this comes from a very small sample. How many 37 year old NFL QBs did they actually analyze?

It's easier to be an outlier of a small sample set than a large one.

Not many. Brady has had the luxury of playing in an era where the QB is much more protected, especially Brady. That fact will extend his career along with others.

Not many. Brady has had the luxury of playing in an era where the QB is much more protected, especially Brady. That fact will extend his career along with others.

Brady is not protected more. He's just one of the smartest QB's at avoiding injuries. We all call him a baby for curling up when he gets sacked, but it's smart.

Brady is not protected more. He's just one of the smartest QB's at avoiding injuries. We all call him a baby for curling up when he gets sacked, but it's smart.

I believe Brady. is protected more. The most blatant example occurred in a Bills, Pats game a few years ago. Brady threw an interception, he was jogging in the direction of the interceptor, one of the Bills pushed him on the shoulder with one hand. Brady at that point is no longer the QB, he is now a defender. The Bills were called for unnessisary roughness.

I believe Brady. is protected more. The most blatant example occurred in a Bills, Pats game a few years ago. Brady threw an interception, he was jogging in the direction of the interceptor, one of the Bills pushed him on the shoulder with one hand. Brady at that point is no longer the QB, he is now a defender. The Bills were called for unnessisary roughness.

One bad call is not "protected."

How about a rule change?

http://www.boston.co...nees/?page=full

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this.

http://itiswhatitis....ment-from-refs/

This topic has been done to death the last few years. Besides a few "anecdotal pieces" from disgruntled rivals of star QB's, the stats recorded have never supported a Brady bias.

How many Broncos/Colts rivals think Peyton gets protected? How many Saints rivals think Brees gets protected?

This topic has been done to death the last few years. Besides a few "anecdotal pieces" from disgruntled rivals of star QB's, the stats recorded have never supported a Brady bias.

How many Broncos/Colts rivals think Peyton gets protected? How many Saints rivals think Brees gets protected?

You are aware that Dan Fouts is a HOF QB and not a disgruntled rival?

I started this thread, because I'm sick of a Brady, sick of Belichick, sick of the Patriots and sick of their front running smug fans. I find it depressing that this could go on for years. I believe that rule changes and preferential treatment of star QBs, Brady in particular, have contributed to his longevity.

Edited by chris heff

You are aware that Dan Fouts is a HOF QB and not a disgruntled rival?

I started this thread, because I'm sick of a Brady, sick of Belichick, sick of the Patriots and sick of their front running smug fans. I find it depressing that this could go on for years. I believe that rule changes and preferential treatment of star QBs, Brady in particular, have contributed to his longevity.

Show me just one piece of non-anecdotal evidence. Just one.

Dan Fouts' mush brain doesn't count.

Show me just one piece of non-anecdotal evidence. Just one.

Dan Fouts' mush brain doesn't count.

So Fouts doesn't count because he has a mush brain from playing in an NFL where the star QBs were not given special treatment?

So Fouts doesn't count because he has a mush brain from playing in an NFL where the star QBs were not given special treatment?

I don't disagree with "star QB's" or even all QB's today. I disagree with "Brady in particular."

Because you have a bias. And Fouts is anecdotal as well. Show the stats or you have no grounds to claim.

Edited by FireChan

I don't disagree with "star QB's" or even all QB's today. I disagree with "Brady in particular."

Because you have a bias. And Fouts is anecdotal as well. Show the stats or you have no grounds to claim.

Wouldn't your observation that Fouts is a mush brain be anecdotal or do you have statistics to prove that? Perhaps you are a neurologist that has examined him? Fouts along with a number of former and current NFL players believe Brady receives preferential treatment, are they all mush brains? Are statistics the only evidence? Does eye witness observation, because it is "anecdotal" not count?

"Your honor I observed that man, the defendant, shoot Bill Smith." "I'm sorry your testimony is anecdotal, do you have any statistics to back that up? You don't like The defendant do you? " "No your Honor I don't, but he still shot Bill Smith."

Edited by chris heff

Wouldn't your observation that Fouts is a mush brain be anecdotal or do you have statistics to prove that? Perhaps you are a neurologist that has examined him? Fouts along with a number of former and current NFL players believe Brady receives preferential treatment, are they all mush brains? Are statistics the only evidence? Does eye witness observation, because it is "anecdotal" not count?

"Your honor I observed that man, the defendant, shoot Bill Smith." "I'm sorry your testimony is anecdotal, do you have any statistics to back that up? You don't like The defendant do you? " "No your Honor I don't, but he still shot Bill Smith."

We aren't in court. This isn't a crime, you need to evaluate every single roughing call on every single QB. I'll believe it if you prove you've seen every single roughing call and juxtaposed it on how many hits each QB has taken and shown me a ratio where Brady leads or at least is in the top 5.

Saying, "I sometimes watch the Pats and Brady gets calls," doesn't prove anything. Hell, your only example was one game from a "few" years ago. I saw a game where Robert Woods punched a guy. "He's the most thuggish in the NFL."

Your analogy is silly and bad.

Edited by FireChan

We aren't in court. This isn't a crime, you need to evaluate every single roughing call on every single QB. I'll believe it if you prove you've seen every single roughing call and juxtaposed it on how many hits each QB has taken and shown me a ratio where Brady leads or at least is in the top 5.

Saying, "I sometimes watch the Pats and Brady gets calls," doesn't prove anything. Hell, your only example was one game from a "few" years ago. I saw a game where Robert Woods punched a guy. "He's the most thuggish in the NFL."

Your analogy is silly and bad.

Do you have any statistics to prove I'm wrong?

And do you know what silly? Calling someone you have never met a "mush brain".

I thought it was humorous, actually.

Burden of proof is on you to prove unverified claims. I know you know that.

But here. I'll toss this out. It doesn't fully prove you wrong, but it is better than fairy dust and "I saw it with my own two eyes!"

http://profootballta...sser-penalties/

Now I know what you are thinking. "But FC, NE's offensive line is very good, that article doesn't account for knockdowns vs RTP calls!!!oneone!!11eleven!"

Have no fear my friend. A quick Google search provided this link!

http://www.footballo...roughing-passer

2009 through week 3 of 2011.

Brady with a 21.8 average KD/RTP ratio. Let's break down the numbers. Who had the lowest ratio? Ryan Fitsnoodles! He got more calls than Brady over 2 and 1/4 seasons! Peyton had a lower ratio than Brady, Pey Pey gets more calls! Brees had the exact same ratio as Brady!

And so my friend, it's over.

Edited by FireChan