USMNT Pre-World Cup Thread - Next Game 6/7 vs. Nigeria

PTS

PRE-CUP GAMES:

5/28 vs Azerbaijan - ESPN2 (10PM ET) - W 2-0

6/1 vs Turkey - ESPN2 (2PM ET) - W 2-1

6/7 vs Nigeria - ESPN (6PM ET)

Klinsmann names USA's 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup: http://www.ussoccer....m/latest-roster

NO DONOVAN?!?!?!?

This is mind-boggling and obviously personal as evidenced by Klinsmann's son's now deleted Twitter account.

It's pretty clear that Klinsmann's Type A personality does not mesh with Donovan's Type B personality. Klinsmann's a killer with a smile while Donovan's efficient, emotional and honest to a fault. If Donovan was a Type A personality like most professional athletes, he would have broken down doors for American players in Europe but that's not who he is. He does not seek fame or attention and he always had trouble accepting the role as the flag bearer for American soccer players.

I'm still thinking this is some last minute effort by Klinsmann to get Donovan extra motivated for the World Cup because someone will get hurt between now and June 2nd when official rosters are due. Donovan in his current form is still a starter on this team but a motivated Donovan can be one of the best players in the World Cup.

That said, if Donovan is not in Brazil this will be a HUGE mistake that can only spiral out of control on and off the field for the program.

Edited by PTS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt and accept that it's performance based. Donovan himself has spoken recently about how his body is not performing the same way as when he was younger. In the recent Mexico game, he was visibly heavier.

Still, it's a huge surprise to me.

What's this about Klinsmann's son's twitter? I'm not familiar.

I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt and accept that it's performance based. Donovan himself has spoken recently about how his body is not performing the same way as when he was younger. In the recent Mexico game, he was visibly heavier.

His son posted this...

CBF

post-10811-0-79393000-1400853789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Kid seems like a little ****. Can't even spell Donovan right. I don't know what this is supposed to evidence of.

As been rumored for two years, Klinsmann and Donovan have some serious personal issues off the field. I follow the team closely and the top three issues seem to be:

1. Donovan not being a fan of mercenaries making the team (most of the German-Americans)

2. The sabbatical Donovan took last year before the Gold Cup

3. Klinsmann and Donovan's contrasting philosophy on life and soccer (Type A vs. Type B)

As been rumored for two years, Klinsmann and Donovan have some serious personal issues off the field. I follow the team closely and the top three issues seem to be:

1. Donovan not being a fan of mercenaries making the team (most of the German-Americans)

2. The sabbatical Donovan took last year before the Gold Cup

3. Klinsmann and Donovan's contrasting philosophy on life and soccer (Type A vs. Type B)

Yes, I understand this, but the kid's tweet is not evidence of anything that I can see except that he's a little ****.

It's going to be tough sledding in the group of death, with or without Donovan, but I do wish he was on the team. I REALLY hope we don't lose to Ghana again.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

That group (D) will be interesting. England, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Italy. I have no doubt Italy will advance, but how the rest plays out...I'm curious. Costa Rica is capable of surprising somebody.

I hope the younger players like immobile and verratti make their mark in this tournament. Cassano is in superb form which is encouraging.

Suarez is supposedly out of this world cup which changes the whole group.

!@#$ england.

Like hell it's performance based. Jozy Altidore has been an embarassment all year. !@#$ing Chris Wondolowski is a joke. This is a zero point, zero goal joke of a team that was guaranteed by Klinsy's lack of balls and guaranteed contract. !@#$ him, !@#$ fat slob no talent Jozy, get Ghana every World Cup and die.

If nothing else this should show these morons that putting good talent into the MLS is idiotic.

My own amateur opinion on this WC:

There will be tremendous pressure on Brazil: anything less than world cup champions will be seen as a failure. I don't think the team has the leadership, character, and composure to deal with that pressure, so I predict a loss in the quarterfinals or semifinals. I am probably wrong, but that is my hunch.

Spain will be tough, but I think their time has passed. Their core is four years older, with some (Pujols) retired. I think they too will lose in the quarters or semifinals.

Germany will be very tough. They are my pick to win it all. They have an excellent coach, and a veteran core. However, they do have injury questions (Lahm, Sweinsteiger, etc.). If the injuries are an issue, it could prevent them from even advancing out of the group stage. They are in a very tough group.

My dark horse team? France. They went home with their tails between their legs in 2010. They are talented and hungry.

Second dark horse? Argentina. They are talented and due.

As for the USA, I think they surprise everyone and reach the QF.

So, my choices: #1 Germany, #2 France, #3 Argentina, #4 Brazil

There will be tremendous pressure on Brazil: anything less than world cup champions will be seen as a failure. I don't think the team has the leadership, character, and composure to deal with that pressure, so I predict a loss in the quarterfinals or semifinals. I am probably wrong, but that is my hunch.

Spain will be tough, but I think their time has passed. Their core is four years older, with some (Pujols) retired. I think they too will lose in the quarters or semifinals.

Germany will be very tough. They are my pick to win it all. They have an excellent coach, and a veteran core. However, they do have injury questions (Lahm, Sweinsteiger, etc.). If the injuries are an issue, it could prevent them from even advancing out of the group stage. They are in a very tough group.

My dark horse team? France. They went home with their tails between their legs in 2010. They are talented and hungry.

Don't forget Belgium. They have a fantastic group of players and Hazard has been unstoppable.

I don't know enough about soccer to have an opinion on this, but The tweet form the kid has me leaning in the direction of " personal" .

BTW, the 30 for 30'Soccer Series has been great, the one Hiilsborough was just riveting.

The last couple of weeks of the EPL I was drawn to watching the matched that involved the relegation teams more than the ones fighting for 1st...man what a great idea that is.

Brazil is lacking offense. I don't think they'll win it. Germany's forwards are old (Klose) and not quite good enough (Schuerrle). I still like Spain. Their lineup is still filled with all stars and they won't have to play Torres up top. Their second team would be competitive in the tournament.

Don't forget Belgium. They have a fantastic group of players and Hazard has been unstoppable.

Great call, I liked them a lot more before Benteke got hurt, though. Lukaku might be enough to get them a knockout stage win or two.

I think the top four would be Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Italy

Predictions:

1. Spain wins world cup

2. Germany and Portugal advance from US group

3. Suarez plays and carries Uruguay to a win over England thanks to a ridiculous dive and equally ridiculously good free kick goal. Suarez becomes the most hated player in England outside of Liverpool.

4. US earns 0 points.

5. Jozy Altidore plays like the lazy, fat-headed, lumbering oaf that he is. US soccer fans will continue to deny the obvious and continue to tout him as a great player.

Brazil is lacking offense. I don't think they'll win it. Germany's forwards are old (Klose) and not quite good enough (Schuerrle). I still like Spain. Their lineup is still filled with all stars and they won't have to play Torres up top. Their second team would be competitive in the tournament.

Great call, I liked them a lot more before Benteke got hurt, though. Lukaku might be enough to get them a knockout stage win or two.

I think the top four would be Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Italy

Predictions:

1. Spain wins world cup

2. Germany and Portugal advance from US group

3. Suarez plays and carries Uruguay to a win over England thanks to a ridiculous dive and equally ridiculously good free kick goal. Suarez becomes the most hated player in England outside of Liverpool.

4. US earns 0 points.

5. Jozy Altidore plays like the lazy, fat-headed, lumbering oaf that he is. US soccer fans will continue to deny the obvious and continue to tout him as a great player.

I don't think suarez is going. Brazil's attack may be weaker and neymar sucks but their defence is the best in the world at the moment.

Another team that might surprise everyone is Switzerland. They are impossible to score against at the moment. I know everyone is doubting the USA to advance to the round of 16, but I think Klinsy knows what he is doing, and has assembled the best team USA has fielded in many years. We have to beat Ghana, and at least tie Portugal, and we have a chance.