Taking Sundays Off Again

I've been here a pretty long time. This is actually my second handle, a long time ago when the site changed I lost my log in and restarted. Let's just say I've been around nearly since the beginning. I grew up in Michigan and started to love the Bills as a kid. Lions never interested me, I turn 32 on Tuesday, so that would make me a Bills fan for 24 years now. The last 6-7 years I have to say I feel a bit ashamed, almost like a bandwagon fan. Before that time I could tell you the two deep on the practice squad, I knew every player, every players strengths/weaknesses. I live, cried, and died Bills every Sunday. About 7 years ago I ended up taking a shift at work on Sunday, a fairly lucrative shift, being a Sunday, nobody really wanted it. This meant no more live Bills games. It was a difficult decision, but I have to say it felt a little easier to make just based on the direction of the franchise. This is how I mean it felt sort of bandwagonish, I sort of turned my back on things, I still followed games of course, but live, cry, and die? Not anymore. No postings on potential playoff scenarios in which I so happily used to do on the site. No in depth player knowledge. The bottom line, I was a burned out fan, scorn for many years, looking at a team of players I didn't really care for, drafted by management I didn't really like. I saw no reason to try and enjoy this team because any moment of joy seemed to be so marginal for so many years. We always seemed to draft outside in. I have no hair but if I was blessed with some more I would have certainly ripped it all out.

Well, my hiatus is now over. On Monday I'm going back to requesting Sundays off again at the start of the season and returning to full fandom. I like the front office, I like the coaching staff, for once I think they're working hand and hand and building inside out. In this league you either win with a great team or a great QB, I don't think EJ is going to be a great QB (still up for debate) but i do think we have the pieces in place for this to be a great team. This team is young and athletic. IMO this draft will prove to be the draft that helps break the Playoff drought. I watch a ton of college football (I do have Saturdays off) I think Sammy Watkins will end up being the best WR we have had since Eric Moulds, I also thought he was the top overall player in the draft. Few people can come in at his age and dominate 20/21 year old players as Watkins did as an 18 year old. You just don't see it very often. This is an elite prospect. Cyril Richardson in round 5? That was an unreal value. This kid has dominated the BIG 12 for multiple years. Between Kouandjio and Henderson at Tackle, one will work out and in a potentially big way. Both slid substantially but for different reasons. Bryce Brown has a heck of a lot to show you. Great compliment to Spiller. Loved our FA selections. This team is going back to the playoffs soon, I have waited so long for it, I'm sure as heck not going to miss it now.

Welcome back. I agree. Lots to be optimistic about. The last few weeks have really been something to get excited about. Doug Whaley is making things happen. If Ej sucks this year, expect Whaley to take the appropriate action to get his team back where it belongs. Contentions. I believe in Doug Whaley.

About 7 years ago I ended up taking a shift at work on Sunday, a fairly lucrative shift, being a Sunday, nobody really wanted it. This meant no more live Bills games. It was a difficult decision, but I have to say it felt a little easier to make just based on the direction of the franchise.

dude, no one would consider you a bandwagon fan because you chose your career and financial stability over watching sunday football. a choice between watching a game and making considerably more money ain't no choice at all.

honestly, given buffalo's recent history, i think it would be difficult to label anyone on this board a bandwagoner. if so, they're really, really, really terrible at selecting teams in which to bandwagon.

Well, my hiatus is now over. On Monday I'm going back to requesting Sundays off again at the start of the season and returning to full fandom. I like the front office, I like the coaching staff, for once I think they're working hand and hand and building inside out. In this league you either win with a great team or a great QB, I don't think EJ is going to be a great QB (still up for debate) but i do think we have the pieces in place for this to be a great team. This team is young and athletic. IMO this draft will prove to be the draft that helps break the Playoff drought. I watch a ton of college football (I do have Saturdays off) I think Sammy Watkins will end up being the best WR we have had since Eric Moulds, I also thought he was the top overall player in the draft. Few people can come in at his age and dominate 20/21 year old players as Watkins did as an 18 year old. You just don't see it very often. This is an elite prospect. Cyril Richardson in round 5? That was an unreal value. This kid has dominated the BIG 12 for multiple years. Between Kouandjio and Henderson at Tackle, one will work out and in a potentially big way. Both slid substantially but for different reasons. Bryce Brown has a heck of a lot to show you. Great compliment to Spiller. Loved our FA selections. This team is going back to the playoffs soon, I have waited so long for it, I'm sure as heck not going to miss it now.

Awesome.. This could be a game changer draft indeed.. Just hope that EJ pans out. A lot is in his hands now and also in Hacketts hand to use the weapons.

My hopes for this season:

1. Hope EJ gets to that next stage and can make the throws trusting his WRs to be there at a spot rather than waiting for them to get there. Hope he remains healthy. Hope he can help the safeties push back so that there is running room for Spiller, Jackson and Brown.

2. Hope Hackett can improve his play calling and put his best 11 players on the field. Hope he takes the shackles of EJ.

3. Hope Schwartz can stop the Run. With an unknown QB on the fold, we have to be somewhere around the top-15 against the run for us to be successful.

4. Hope the ST coach turns around an unit that has struggled.

5. Hope Whaley finds a veteran backup QB and does not go into the season with Lewis and Tuel.

6. HOPE We make the playoffs....It is time!!

dude, no one would consider you a bandwagon fan because you chose your career and financial stability over watching sunday football. a choice between watching a game and making considerably more money ain't no choice at all.

honestly, given buffalo's recent history, i think it would be difficult to label anyone on this board a bandwagoner. if so, they're really, really, really terrible at selecting teams in which to bandwagon.

100%.

Thanks my bills brethren. At that time the decision made sense on all fronts. I know I wasn't fair weather, I don't think you can be a fan of this team and hold that title, it just bummed me out that I lost touch with it so much over the last few years and it felt a bit fair weather. I was starting to hate all the innards of the team and what are you supposed to do when it's YOUR team and you hate the front office and don't exactly enjoy the players? I know a lot of you know what I'm talking about. Just the frustration with how the franchise has been ran and the results. Now I'm more stable on the finances, I'm pretty pumped to get back into it again. It was a lot of fun when I took more interest in it. I feel safe for the first time in a long time in doing so. Safe in the sense that it's worth the commitment of time and energy. Everything has seemed to hinge on the QB since Jimbo left which has left us completely SOL for the better part of my life. Now we have a team. A very good collection of players and when you have that it opens a lot of possibilities. I think we have the right front office in place, the right coach, and it sure as heck doesn't hurt that we drafted Sammy. The second I saw him as a True Freshman I thought this guy is going to make one heck of a pro. I would have never thought in a million years he would be wearing our colors. This is going to be an exciting couple years.

Edit* Said since Jimbo left, change that to post MCM. Those Bills Defenses with Flutie and Johnson were nasty.

Edited by KzooMike

If EJ doesn't pan out, I see the Bills going after a proven veteran.... A Drew Bledsoe type move, except, hopefully this time there is more gas in the tank.... We have the pieces in place to win now, and for years to come... Our team is young and loaded with talent!

Bandwagon fans either a) root for a different team during bad times or b) know virtually nothing about their team during bad times. I have a feeling that you were neither in your time of abandonment. Welcome back to Hardcore Town though.