Worst playoffs ever?

Simon

I think a lot of the disappointment comes from how they market the product, The marketing angle is so intensive around the efforts to emphasize it as an individual versus and individual (usually ywo quarterbacks or a quarterback vying against history that the games usually disappoint as a team mashes that QB, or the pressure to perform becomes so large on that individual he breaks down.

Certainly in these playoffs a big part of the disappointment was that Manning was over-hyped and did nothing, RoboQB was overhyped and he folded under the pressure (as most rookies would) and oddly enough Philly finally triumphed but most had written them off because their new star Owens got hurt and the media anf network had beaten the MCNabb horse so many times before they couldn't get excited much again.

It is interesting that it is NE who keeps triumphing and a big part of its sucess it that they are a TEAM where players don't specialize but do what's necessary, where there is actually debate about whether a player challenging Bart Starr's record for playoff wins is a good player or not, and the team has no controversies because they don't fight in public.

It is just more evidence that the QB focus of the NFL may be great for marketing but does not add up to winning it all.

Hey, I think there's something to be said for Seahawks-Rams.  I mean, if it was ANY two other teams in the NFL, that'd've been a classic.  But ignore the names on the jerseys and the faces on the sideline, and it was a great game.

216203[/snapback]

Yeah, I kind of forgot about that one. It would have been a good regular season game, but it was so sloppy, and the lack of defensive intensity was atrocious. But, it was entertaining. The Falcons trashing of the Rams the next week was entertaining, in the sense that it was such an unusual game. It was ultimatley a blow out, and not worth watching until the end. Although, that didn't stop me......

I had a feeling the playoffs would be a bit predictable and short on drama. The Pats seemed to tower over the AFC while the Eagles beat up an incredibly weak NFC.

The key for the SB is whether Philly can get any pressure on Brady or the talented secondary can shut down the Pats receivers. If not, it's a Pats blowout.

I think a lot of the disappointment comes from how they market the product,

This would be a workable hypothesis for me provided one of the following 3 conditions held true:

1)I had watched a single snippet of any pregame show in the last decade

2)I tuned my television to one of the networks at any time other than 17 Sunday afternoons and 12-15 Monday nights throughout the year.

3)I read any football "journalists" aside from the occasional Dr Z article/mailbag.

However none of them hold true and as a result I must conclude that regardless of any marketing or media hype, the majority of these games were anti-climactic disappoinments.

Cya