Football in Bflo from a historical standpoint

bowery4

The curse has been a part of the Buffalo NFL teams as long as there has been an NFL (and actually a bit before it was called the NFL).

Was just reading about Geo. Halas and came across this tid bit.

http://en.wikipedia....hip_controversy

Interesting stuff, I didn't even know Buffalo had an NFL team in the 20s, but like the name "The Buffalo All Americans". Hope you enjoy it. BTW Halas was the coach and owner of the Bears 40 freaking years! And won 6 NFL championships, including his first against our Buffalo team (cough..... cough BS!)

Edit. haha PTR I was writting the below as you typed that out.

BTW here is a link to more 1920's Buffalo teams(and earlier) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_(1920s_NFL_teams)

There was no team again until the first edition of the Bills, in the AAFC which I know a lot of you already know about from 1946-49

Edited by bowery4

Buffalo also had a franchise in the All-American Football League in the 40's, along with the 49'ers and Browns and Colts. Those three franchises were merged into the NFL. We got left out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills_(AAFC)

There was some controversy over Buffalo's exclusion from the enlarged NFL. Buffalo had experienced more success on the field and at the gate than Baltimore, and the original three-team plan would have left the league with 13 teams, not only an odd number, but also one considered to be bad luck. The move had left Buffalo as the only AAFC market without an NFL team post-merger, and one that had outdrawn the NFL average in fan attendance. With that in mind, Buffalo fans produced more than 15,000 season ticket pledges, raised $175,000 in a stock offering,[3] and filed a separate application to join. When the vote to admit Buffalo was held on January 20, 1950, a majority of league owners (including the three already-admitted AAFC teams) were willing to accept Buffalo. However, league rules required a unanimous vote, but the vote was only 9-4 in favor. The opposition to the Bills' entry was led by Chicago Bears owner George Halas (who had a longstanding animosity toward Buffalo's previous NFL franchise) and Los Angeles Rams owner Dan Reeves.[4] League commissioner Bert Bell had already put out a schedule based on the 13 teams, and Reeves cited as his excuse for voting against admission was simply that "it was silly to vote in a new city without first having a good idea where my teams would be playing and when."
Edited by PromoTheRobot

Buffalo also had a franchise in the All-American Football League in the 40's, along with the 49'ers and Browns and Colts. Those three franchises were merged into the NFL. We got left out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills_(AAFC)

[/size]

It is just amazing to see in another way just how the prominence of Buffalo has receded. I love the city and the region and hope that it is now truly stabilizing from its long decline in stature among cities.

The curse has been a part of the Buffalo NFL teams as long as there has been an NFL (and actually a bit before it was called the NFL).

Was just reading about Geo. Halas and came across this tid bit.

http://en.wikipedia....hip_controversy

Interesting stuff, I didn't even know Buffalo had an NFL team in the 20s, but like the name "The Buffalo All Americans". Hope you enjoy it. BTW Halas was the coach and owner of the Bears 40 freaking years! And won 6 NFL championships, including his first against our Buffalo team (cough..... cough BS!)

Edit. haha PTR I was writting the below as you typed that out.

BTW here is a link to more 1920's Buffalo teams(and earlier) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_(1920s_NFL_teams)

There was no team again until the first edition of the Bills, in the AAFC which I know a lot of you already know about from 1946-49

From the second article:

but the Professional Football Researchers Association is dismissive of any claim that does not come from the Ohio League,

I can tell you that is just flat out wrong. First, the Ohio League never existed. People still claim that it does, but it is just a myth. Second, the PFRA does not care where the team played. They chose the strongest team, and the strongest team happened to play in Ohio.

Next, Buffalo screwed themselves in 1921. They saw what happened to them in 1920, and yet they still thought that they could just end the season whenever they wanted. Secondly, why would you schedule a game against Decatur the day after you played Akron. Especially, when you screwed yourself over the sharing of players with another team?

Since both of these articles used me as source material, I would have hoped that they would get it right.

Finally, there were two teams that played in Buffalo in the many incarnations of the AFL: 1940 Buffalo Indians and the 1941 Buffalo Tigers. Not on the same level as the NFL, but at least it was pro football.

From the second article:

I can tell you that is just flat out wrong. First, the Ohio League never existed. People still claim that it does, but it is just a myth. Second, the PFRA does not care where the team played. They chose the strongest team, and the strongest team happened to play in Ohio.

Next, Buffalo screwed themselves in 1921. They saw what happened to them in 1920, and yet they still thought that they could just end the season whenever they wanted. Secondly, why would you schedule a game against Decatur the day after you played Akron. Especially, when you screwed yourself over the sharing of players with another team?

Since both of these articles used me as source material, I would have hoped that they would get it right.

Finally, there were two teams that played in Buffalo in the many incarnations of the AFL: 1940 Buffalo Indians and the 1941 Buffalo Tigers. Not on the same level as the NFL, but at least it was pro football.

Thanks for that Ken. I am happy to be straightened out about wiki info (wiki is often wrong but honestly is a great thing anyway) . I enjoyed reading some posts from your site as well. I knew you were on here but wasn't sure of your id.

Cheers

Thanks for that Ken. I am happy to be straightened out about wiki info (wiki is often wrong but honestly is a great thing anyway) . I enjoyed reading some posts from your site as well. I knew you were on here but wasn't sure of your id.

Cheers

Thank you. Glad that you enjoyed the posts.