Updated Visits Mock - Astro

Astrobot

The Bills are not going to take a running back in the 2nd round. They will need one eventually- maybe next year- and they can take one then. They do not need a 3rd string running back in 2014. They can just as easily take next year's Carlos Hyde in 2015. Lord knows there will always be serviceable running backs to draft.

Spiller is gone next year and Freddy is old. Are you sure?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller is gone next year and Freddy is old. Are you sure?

Positive. Then take one next year. It is the easiest position to acclimate yourself to in the NFL. Take one next year and they'll be just fine as a rookie. Also, let's see what Spiller does this year before whishing him goodbye. I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Yo, Astro. I been looking at this kid from Geo. Southern. Jerick Mc Kinnon Rb. . His Profile runs 4.35 forty,32 bench reps. 41 verticle , 11 foot broad jump. Ran a different offense . Big play ability and tough. Fast and strong. Would need some pro- style RB coaching. Could be a real sleeper.Maybe a 4th or 5th.

McKinnon's in for a visit. We have him as a UDFA #359.

He blew up the Combine but would need major work as he was a spread QB primarily, but also played on DEFENSE, did some RB, sold popcorn, etc. The NFL site has him #21 RB; we have him #19 RB.

I updated the OP with the visits of Watkins, Duvernay-Tardif, and McKinnon.

Edited by Astrobot

Astro, I personally like short R.B.s . Having played a little,these fast strong short guys are hard to see coming through holes,behind big lineman. I think this kid is a real sleeper. Best rb numbers at the combine,by far. I think a little work in a pro-set offense,will help him to become a full time RB. You can`t coach speed with strength. He will get picked in the 5th by somebody.

Astro, I personally like short R.B.s . Having played a little,these fast strong short guys are hard to see coming through holes,behind big lineman. I think this kid is a real sleeper. Best rb numbers at the combine,by far. I think a little work in a pro-set offense,will help him to become a full time RB. You can`t coach speed with strength. He will get picked in the 5th by somebody.

You forgot versatile. :nana:

Second round for RB is a huge stretch. Let's evaluate:

Carlos Hyde - He's much more like Freddy than CJ. Not elusive and not very quick. Late 2nd projection or 3rd on most boards.

Jerick McKinnon - Essentially a read option quarterback in college that couldn't throw. Projected as late as the 5th round.

Terrance Cobb - He's not even listed on some boards and projected to be a UFA. Not sure why they had him in for visit.

Jeremy Hill - Another pounder like Hyde and also an early 3rd round projection by most.

Lache Seastrunk - Early 4th round projection that didn't look all that spectacular at the college level.

When all is said and done, these were they guys they brought in at that position. Except for Hyde, all are later round forecasts. If they really had a plan to draft a running back in the second, I would have to ask myself why they wouldn't have swapped out Cobb, Hill, and Seastrunk for Mason, Sanky, and Williams. After all, why spend 4 of your 30 player visits when you would never reach for those players? 3rd or 4th round target makes the most sense to me if the right value is there.

Updated Bills’ Visit Mock Draft

Each of the Bills’ past four RD1 picks made a pre-draft visit to the Bills.

All #Bills visitors here, with #DraftTek Current Mock Draft pick number (UPDATED 4-23-14):

RD1#9- WR Watkins (4), WR Evans (7), OT Jake Matthews (9), Zack Martin (16), TE Ebron (19), WR Beckham (22), OT CBFS Kyle Fuller (17), CB Bradley Roby (36)

RD2#41- OLB Shazier (42), RB Carlos Hyde (49), TE Seferian-Jenkins (53), DE Scott Crichton (55),

CBFS Bashaud Breeland (59), C Marcus Martin (53), TE Niklas (58)

RD3#73- WR Latimer (98), RB Jeremy Hill (101)

RD4#109- RB Andre Williams (123)

RD5#149- RB Seastrunk (149), S Ahmad Dixon (155), CBFS Walt Aikens (158),

RB Terrence West (187), CB Ross Cockrell (192), OG John Urschel (214), ILB Preston Brown (217)

RD6#185-(Traded For WR Mike Williams)

RD7#224-

OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (224), CB Philip Gaines (230), RB Jerick McKinnon (233)

UDFA

RB Terrance Cobb, Cumberlands

OT Charles Siddoway, Mississippi State

Like others have stated I don't see a RB in the 2nd unless the Bills want to trade Spiller. Which is a strong possibility if they think they won't be able to resign him.

I'm hoping for an OT at #9-OG in the 2nd with the first two picks, or a trade back to get Martin, and an extra #2 to pick up a TE & OG. That line needs some serious upgrading.

I like the trade-back for Martin/Seferian-Jenkins/ plus OG or Breeland (CB/FS). With whom would we trade?

Well...

Tennessee wants to get ahead of Detroit at 10, who they fear will take Dennard. That would only be trading down to 11. Not likely.

Giants are in the market for a OT at 12. Lewan will be there but might they want Matthews if he slips to us? A bit more likely.

St. Louis at 13 makes some sense. They're at 13 and HaHa is no longer a certainty there, and they need to get ahead of Detroit as well. Even more likely.

Like others have stated I don't see a RB in the 2nd unless the Bills want to trade Spiller. Which is a strong possibility if they think they won't be able to resign him.

I'm hoping for an OT at #9-OG in the 2nd with the first two picks, or a trade back to get Martin, and an extra #2 to pick up a TE & OG. That line needs some serious upgrading.

What if that trade-back involves our RD3 pick? If you look at the dearth of players brought in at RD3, it is a possibility. Look at this custom trade chart. Say HOU trades back with ATL to 6. If HOU (now at 6) wants our RD3 pick for us to move up to 6 ahead of TB for either Evans or Matthews, it's an even swap.

One more mock draft to go.

I just updated this with the new draft slots from our new mock.

I added Khalil Mack, picked 1st in our mock draft, but he's 20 minutes away so I counted him as a visit.

snapback.pngBeerball, on 17 April 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

:thumbsup: on moving Hyde up to the second round. If they want him I believe they better grab in in the second.

That is the best reason for trading our 9th pick for Beckham and Hyde, allowing us the extra 2nd for OT, OG, DE, FSCB, or TE.

That is an interesting thought process. I can't wait to watch this draft pan out!! 7 days to go!

I think Marcus Martin is a damn good lineman. He's the best center in the draft, just like Eric Wood was and he can play guard too. This could very well be our second rounder. He would be great insurance in case Wood goes down and he would also likely be a starting guard this season. This would put some good depth on that OL. I am beginning to think the Bills may be picking something other than OLman in the 1st round. If they decide to wait until the 2nd round for OL help he could be it. If you only have one weakness on the OL they may be able to get away with what they have at RT by using TEs, RBs chip blocking.

I'd rather have a good RT, but this would not surprise me.

THE 13 PLAYERS WHO "WON'T BE THERE AT PICK 9":

1. Jadeveon Clowney South Carolina DE43
  2. Greg Robinson Auburn LOT
  3. Jake Matthews Texas A&M LOT
  4. Taylor Lewan Michigan LOT
  5. Johnny Manziel Texas A&M QB
  6. Teddy Bridgewater Louisville QB
  7. Blake Bortles UCF QB
  8. Khalil Mack Buffalo OLB43
  9. Sammy Watkins Clemson WRF
  10. Mike Evans Texas A&M WRF
  11. Aaron Donald Pittsburgh DT43
  12. C.J. Mosley Alabama ILB
  13. Darqueze Dennard Michigan State CB

This does not include:

1. Anthony Barr UCLA DE43
  2. Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech CB
  3. Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB
  4. Zack Martin Notre Dame OG LT
  5. Odell Beckham LSU WRF

THE 13 PLAYERS WHO "WON'T BE THERE AT PICK 9":

1. Jadeveon Clowney South Carolina DE43

2. Greg Robinson Auburn LOT

3. Jake Matthews Texas A&M LOT

4. Taylor Lewan Michigan LOT

5. Johnny Manziel Texas A&M QB

6. Teddy Bridgewater Louisville QB

7. Blake Bortles UCF QB

8. Khalil Mack Buffalo OLB43

9. Sammy Watkins Clemson WRF

10. Mike Evans Texas A&M WRF

11. Aaron Donald Pittsburgh DT43

12. C.J. Mosley Alabama ILB

13. Darqueze Dennard Michigan State CB

This does not include:

1. Anthony Barr UCLA DE43

2. Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech CB

3. Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB

4. Zack Martin Notre Dame OG LT

5. Odell Beckham LSU WRF

Of those I expect Mosley, Bortles, and Dennard to be available. I figure one of the OT's will also join the outside looking in.

At work today we were talking about it and it seems to be smoke but there is a chance there could be 3 QB's taken in the top 10.

Of those I expect Mosley, Bortles, and Dennard to be available. I figure one of the OT's will also join the outside looking in.

At work today we were talking about it and it seems to be smoke but there is a chance there could be 3 QB's taken in the top 10.

I think 2 will allow this to happen: http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp