(OT) Johnny Carson dies at 79

Draconator

didnt know he was still alive

216242[/snapback]

\

Interesting point.

His public voyage to oblivion occurred 12 1/2 years ago with his retirement. His public life ended long before his own life. The obits mention he had bypass surgery in '99, gave two or three interviews, and nothing else since '92.

RIP Johnny.  An icon in the truest sense.  Would Rodney have ever attained the status he did without Johnny?  Jay?  Dave?  Robin Williams?  Orson Beane (sp?)...remember him?  Joan Rivers?  David Brenner?  Joan the animal lady.  Jim Fowler.  Dom Deloise.  Used to love seeing Jimmy Stewart and Johnny together.  Jimmy would usually read a poem he had written.    Orson Welles doing dramatic readings. 

Johnny, you were and are the man.

215365[/snapback]

Buddy Hackett was fun when he was on too....always had a joke he couldn't repeat on air, but he'd try....

Buddy Hackett was fun when he was on too....always had a joke he couldn't repeat on air, but he'd try....

216542[/snapback]

Jerry Lewis was on Letterman the other night and he is starting to look and sound very much like Buddy Hacket.

RIP Johnny, Buddy and soon Jerry. :D

I rarely laugh at something Leno says; Carson was, as you say, a true comic genius.

Leno is a hack. He's worse at reading cue cards than Bob Hope ever was. I'll miss Canrac and the Mighty Carson Art players.

Letterman is far superior.  Leno is awful!

215296[/snapback]

Last month, I set the recorder incorrectly and ended up recording Letterman.

Even though I didn't want to record it, I watched Letterman anyway.

Quite painful to watch.

He's still trying to do that overage adolsecent shtick, with that smart-alecky "I'm smarter than you" attitude.

20 years ago, it was genius. Now, with hs pushing 60, it looks ridiculous.

Leno is no great shakes either, but Letterman's time has clearly passed.

How 'bout the time Raquel Welch was on and she brought a cat. The cat was sitting in her lap and she asked Johnny 'would you like to pet my kitty?'... Carson said dryly 'Sure, get rid of the cat!' :w00t:

216771[/snapback]

He stole that lock-stock-barrel from Steve Allen, orignator of the "Tonigh Show". That comedy took place years before Carson.

Actually, Carson's re-enactment was with Honor Blackman ( The Bond flick, Goldfinger).

Carson was excellent, but he took his persona from the great Jack Paar, 2nd host of the Tonight Show...if you see a retrospective about Parr, you will see where Johnny filched his material.

Jerry Lewis was on Letterman the other night and he is starting to look and sound very much like Buddy Hacket.

RIP Johnny,  Buddy and soon Jerry. :w00t:

216560[/snapback]

Actually Jerry Lewis is looking better. He's off that medicine that swelled him up and he looks more like his old self.