Fans of Other Teams Before the Bills?

Were you a fan of another team before you became a Bills fan?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a fan of another team before you became a Bills fan?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of...

Just curious. As for me, growing up in central NY, I kind of was in that when I was really little I thought that the New York Giants somehow represented all of New York State and didn't know what the hell Buffalo was. Thankfully in time I realized that Buffalo was the only true New York team and one that represented more where I was from. Was able to be a full-fledged Bills fan at 8 and just in time to see them lose to those same Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

When I was a 14-15, and living in Burlington, Ont, I was kinda a half assed Bronco fan. I liked Otis Armstrong. That was before I ever went to a Bills game. One year, I think it was 75, my brother pre ordered tickets for a bunch of Bills games because there was still the excitement due to the newness of Rich Stadium. I remember not really being a Bills fan that year but every game we went to the Bills got destroyed. It was one qb after the other coming in and picking them apart. One week it was Dan Fouts, the Bert Jones. After him it was Grogan. Every game seemed to end with the Bills losing 31-13. Over in the 3rd quarter. I started to feel sorry for them and I started to cheer for them and when the season was over I was hooked for life, for better or worse I suppose.

I was an eagles fan when I was about 4-5 years old. Everytime they were on tv I'd sit up and watchin cunningham play. I guess thats why I liked them, that or the logo. I guess it's kind of hard to appreciate athletic ability at 5 years old. I became a bills fan for life the first time I saw them on tv which was the 1990 divisional playoff game against the miami dolphins a 44-34 victory. I don't remember much about the game other than the score, but I knew that I liked Jim Kelly and Thurman thomas

Having been born in Chicago in 1959 I was a became a big time Chicago sports fan from the age of 8 or 9 or so. Since the Cubs were doing well in the late 60s (leading to the demolition year and the Amazin' Mets of 1969) it got me used to rooting for teams which came heartbreaking close to being great but would break my heart in the end. This made me an easy mark for the Bills of the early 90s.

I actually came to the Bills and Buffalo for the best reason possible, my lovely wife! I went away to college in NJ in the late 70s but kept my Chicago sports rootin roots. I lived in DC in the 80s but Chicago teams were my teams.

In 1989 I came to my senses, got married and moved to the promised land of Buffalo and a weird thing happened to my rooting interests. It was great to finally root for an SB winner with my psychotic addiction to the Bears in 1985 (our answering machine song featured the Bears' Super Bowl shuffle that year much to the confusion of the Mom of one of the two women I was sharing a house with). The Bulls finally rode MJ to a series of great payoffs which warmed the soul of a kid who had spent many an evening in the stygian depths of Chicago Stadium as a kid.

However, my move to Buffalo coincided with the bulding of a great team, the K-Gun and a town which simply went wild over its team making the SB and losing, and making the SB and losing, and making the SB agsin and losing, and making the SB again (weerr'rree back) and losing.

I was hooked and have enjoyed the ride. I think even with the pain of the losses, the ride has given me some of humankinds finest hours like the heartfelt outpouring to Scott Norwood in Niagara Square.

Don't get me wrong, as I was there with the 1985 Bears, rooting for a team which wins the SB is great, but I actually think the moments like the Norwood "group hug" were even better sports moments for me. It may be easy for me to say because I have rooted for winners, but I actually wouldn't trade 1 SB win for the Bills 4 SB losses. 1 SB win can be a great episode, but the 4 losses provided me with so much entertainment and sharing with the community in a community which because of its fears of an economic downturn like the 70s and 89s there is not enough sharing that if forced to choose I would take the 4 losses over winning just once.

Life is such that we are not in control over such things so there is no choice. Thus, since i can make a meaningless pick, i will take 4 SB wins for the Bills instead.

In the end, I am a Buffaloanian and a Buffalo rooter. The most relevant sports caveat for this is that I have fully adopted my Buffalo hometown pro sports teams (the Bills and Sabres) over my childhood Chicago sports teams (the Bears and Blackhawks). I root for the Bills and Sabreas to beat and in fact enbarass my childhood affiliations quite easily. However, out of unfulfilled dreams and first love (the Cubs) and having the best player to ever play the game (MJ) it has been quite convenient to have Buffalo only do the AAA thing in baseball (I have had full year season tickets to the Bisons and shared a set with several friends other years because it was the first time I could afford this outlay for a sport) and that the lamented Braves gone because I remain a Cub and Bull fan.

Yet overall, I am a Bills boy and hope and expect to be for life (or as long as my wife willl have me).

Just curious. As for me, growing up in central NY, I kind of was in that when I was really little I thought that the New York Giants somehow represented all of New York State and didn't know what the hell Buffalo was. Thankfully in time I realized that Buffalo was the only true New York team and one that represented more where I was from. Was able to be a full-fledged Bills fan at 8 and just in time to see them lose to those same Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

214641[/snapback]

Always a Bills fan from early 60's however I did root for charges in late 60's as well I had a chargers football helmet ( not sure why I got it) but really liked them along with the Bills.

Grew up a Steeler fan. It was in 1989 I fell in love with Buffalo. I was a kid and didn't know much about football when I liked the Steelers. Everything in my room was Steelers. I didn't even watch football as a kid. I have not missed a Bills game since 1990.

Was more of a baseball fan growing up in the sixties (Mets). First football team I remember liking was the Baltimore Colts - liked Johnny U. The first SB I remember was the Colts over the Cowboys. Even then I hated Dallas.

Anyhow, wasn't that into football until I went to college in Buffalo in the early 80s. Got into the Bills at that point and there's been no turning back.

Grew up a Steeler fan. It was in 1989 I fell in love with Buffalo. I was a kid and didn't know much about football when I liked the Steelers. Everything in my room was Steelers. I didn't even watch football as a kid. I have not missed a Bills game since 1990.

214843[/snapback]

I started like the bills in like 89 as well I was like in the 4th grade or something, I started liking thurmos........and here I am now

I was a 49ers fan..........after I started like the bills.......I never have liked the niners again lol

Ah HA ! I knew some of you were bandwagon fans ! :o You started liking the Bills during the Kelly,Smith,Thurman years. How brave. ;)

I started going to games in 1968. 1-12-1 that year. Suffered through the no-win 70's vs. the Dolphins. Multiple losing years.

I can only repsect those who are older and understand true bitterness and hate, like myself. :D

Late 80's,early 90's..pfffffffffft. Fu#*ing front runners. :rolleyes:

Ah HA !  I knew some of you were bandwagon fans !  :o  You started liking the Bills during the Kelly,Smith,Thurman years. How brave.  ;) 

I started going to games in 1968. 1-12-1 that year. Suffered through the no-win 70's vs. the Dolphins. Multiple losing years.

I can only repsect those who are older and understand true bitterness and hate, like myself.  :D

Late 80's,early 90's..pfffffffffft.  Fu#*ing front runners.  :rolleyes:

214866[/snapback]

You're just an old fart, don't blame us for that!

lol :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Ah HA !  I knew some of you were bandwagon fans !  ;)  You started liking the Bills during the Kelly,Smith,Thurman years. How brave.  :blink: 

I can only repsect those who are older and understand true bitterness and hate, like myself.  :D

Late 80's,early 90's..pfffffffffft.  Fu#*ing front runners.  :rolleyes:

214866[/snapback]

Some of us were only 4 years old in 1968. But I have disowned my parents for not bringing me to the Rockpile at that young impressionable age. However, I like you have bled Red, white and blue forever.......a lot of bleed'n too! :o