The rea; deal on Bledsoe

personally I think its just a bunch of rumors. There were blurbs from analysts who claim to have inside information that were posted here.

For Drew to take a paycut they will have to restructure his deal which means adding a year. I don't see that happening.

For him to take just a paycut I do believe they would have rip up the current deal which would force his bonus money to come due on our salary cap immediately. Then we would have to resign him which would effectively wipe out anything we would have saved.

Drew is due a 1 million $ signing bonus on March 1. If we are going to release him it will be before 3/1. It doesn't seem logical for Ralph to allow the team to pay Drew 1 mil then cut him afterwards.

However I'm not sure about the contract deals. This is just what I've pieced together. We really do not save much money cutting Drew, and for all we would save we would probably end up spending much of it replacing him.

Has TD officially said that Bledsoe needs to take a pay cut, or is this just a bunch of rumors??

I haven't read or heard him say anything directly about Drew. If he has, please send me the links

213707[/snapback]

I've had the same question. If what TD said yesterday was as substantial as listeners have posted--i.e there is a good chance DB will be cut or something like that--isn't that news for a team that finished 9-3 with him as the starter? But not a peep from the News or the D&C. Are they asleep? It seems to me given all the drivel that is written, this is a pretty big oversight if reports are accurate...CD

I understand what you guys mean, and normally I would agree. However, there is usually at least a grain of truth when rumours like this are leaked. Also, it came from Chris Mortenson. He is pretty legit, and on his ESPN chat yesterday (someone posted it) he emphatically said it was a FACT! Mort is well respected by most observers, both inside and outside the NFL. He is credible, and is known to at least be on good terms with Tom Donohoe. I think there is something to the "paycut or get cut rumour". What I think is off, is that everyone on the board seems to be just assuming that Bledsoe won't take the paycut. I believe he will, because he is smart enough to know that the Bills are his best option, and he is the Bills best option, starting or back-up!

I've had the same question.  If what TD said yesterday was as substantial as listeners have posted--i.e there is a good chance DB will be cut or something like that--isn't that news for a team that finished 9-3 with him as the starter?  But not a peep from the News or the D&C.  Are they asleep?  It seems to me given all the drivel that is written, this is a pretty big oversight if reports are accurate...CD

213744[/snapback]

What TD said yesterday was "a decision will be made about the quarterback position in the next couple of weeks"

Take from that what you will.

I understand what you guys mean, and normally I would agree.  However, there is usually at least a grain of truth when rumours like this are leaked.  Also, it came from Chris Mortenson.  He is pretty legit, and on his ESPN chat yesterday (someone posted it) he emphatically said it was a FACT!  Mort is well respected by most observers, both inside and outside the NFL.  He is credible, and is known to at least be on good terms with Tom Donohoe.  I think there is something to the "paycut or get cut rumour".  What I think is off, is that everyone on the board seems to be just assuming that Bledsoe won't take the paycut.  I believe he will, because he is smart enough to know that the Bills are his best option, and he is the Bills best option, starting or back-up!

213851[/snapback]

I disagree. The Bills' best option would be to cut Bledsoe and sign Warner. Warner could start; and if he played as well for us as he did the Giants, that would be a solid improvement at the QB position. If Warner faltered, he'd accept the backup role with the same grace and team-first approach that he had when he was benched in NY and St. Louis.

I disagree. The Bills' best option would be to cut Bledsoe and sign Warner. Warner could start; and if he played as well for us as he did the Giants, that would be a solid improvement at the QB position. If Warner faltered, he'd accept the backup role with the same grace and team-first approach that he had when he was benched in NY and St. Louis.

214078[/snapback]

Well, there are three problems with that. Firstly, Warner is only, maybe, marginally better than Bledsoe at this point. When he made his "comeback" earlier this season, he really didn't play any better than Bledsoe did during the latter half of this season.

Secondly, I can't pretend to know all the salary cap ramifications, but to cut Bledsoe, and sign Warner doesn't sound very financialy wise. Warner will command some big dollars, wherever he ends up. So what, we sign him to a big deal, and then face this same situation all over again later in the season, or next year?

Third, even if you believe that Warner is a significant upgrade to Bledsoe, why would Warner come to Buffalo? He is leaving the NY Giants, because he believes he is an NFL starter still, and has said himself, it would be very difficult for him to be a back-up at this stage in his career....I am not saying that Bledsoe is the best QB in the leauge (although I think his awfulness is being exagerrated a bit), only that from a financial, and ultimately a football standpoint, he is our best option...