Just ordered one of these

Dante

Im new to mp3 players so I cant answer your question Joe.

Im concerned about the skip protection as well. My wife got me a membership at a gym and thats why im getting this so I need it to be able to handle moving around. I thought skip's was only a issue with portable cd players though?

213463[/snapback]

From what I've learned, only Flash MP3 players are skip-free. Hard drive players like the iPod and Zen can be prone to skipping if moved around or jarred vigorously, though I cant say from experience if that is so.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've learned, only Flash MP3 players are skip-free. Hard drive players like the iPod and Zen can be prone to skipping if moved around or jarred vigorously, though I cant say from experience if that is so.

213523[/snapback]

The iPod has a certain amount of buffering or shock protection I believe. At least whatever it has, I have never had a problem with skipping unless you count accidently hitting a button when HOLD isn't on.

213523[/snapback]

The Zen Micro (and the ipod) are hard drive players so they CAN skip, but both have some level of buffering to counteract this. A flash player is better for jogging, etc, but my Zen has not skipped yet under normal circumstances.....

The Zen Micro (and the ipod) are hard drive players so they CAN skip, but both have some level of buffering to counteract this.  A flash player is better for jogging, etc, but my Zen has not skipped yet under normal circumstances.....

213623[/snapback]

Well, I've been running, and I knwo the iPod mini has something like 25 minutes worth of skip protection on it. I just didn't see anything on the zen site about it.

I think one HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE selling point for Zen Micro is the removable battery.

In about 2 to 3 years, all of us iPoders are gonna be left with a fairly expensive paperweight. Why? It costs over $100 to get a new batter for the iPod, and in 2 or 3 years, $100 will get you probably 100gig music and media player...

213415[/snapback]

Not sure which iPod model you have, but for the larger models (I have one of the earlier 10gig models) you can buy replacement batteries for about $20-30 and do it yourself.

G5 i think its called. She bought it cause it looked cool in the kitchen. The CPU is inside the monitor, so all one piece.

213790[/snapback]

The G5 iMac. Nice machine. I had a G4 with the 15" screen and loved it. OSX is a little tricky at first, but once you know how to get around, you'll find it's far superior to anything windows.

The G5 iMac.  Nice machine.  I had a G4 with the 15" screen and loved it.  OSX is a little tricky at first, but once you know how to get around, you'll find it's far superior to anything windows.

213843[/snapback]

I hope so, just hard not right clicking things and such. I call it my $1500 internet machine, as that is about all i can do with it. At least Mozilla works on it, not sure if I could figure out Safari lol

I hope so, just hard not right clicking things and such. I call it my $1500 internet machine, as that is about all i can do with it. At least Mozilla works on it, not sure if I could figure out Safari lol

213864[/snapback]

Oh yeah, use safari. 10.3 should have also come with IE as well, but I shitcanned it and refuse to use it. I set up my safari to open new windows as tabs and it works out really well. Have you used expose yet? Open three or four windows of whatever and press F9. It's a pretty handy tool to have when you are working on several apps at one time. Check out F11 while you are at it. When you set up your email through mail, you can send pics from iPhoto with a click. Also in iPhoto, set your preferences to open photos in Preview rather than in iPhoto's edit window. It works especially well for vertical shots. I could go on... but i hope this helps a bit.

Does it have an airport card?

213864[/snapback]

That's about the Mac in a nutshell.

If you're a gamer, Macs are a joke. If you're into playing poker online, Macs are a joke. If you're serious about accounting, Macs are ridiculous.

About the only thing that a Mac can do well that a PC can't is design.

Adobe apps seem tailor-made for Macs.

Not that I love Microshaft or anything, but until Linux starts growing a bit, it's the best thing out there.

I hope so, just hard not right clicking things and such.

213864[/snapback]

oh man, that's the worst.

When I first moved down here, I lived in a 3-bedroom house. The other two both were graphic designers, so of course they had MACs...

I never realized how often i right-click on things (for file properties, mainly) until i used that frigging mouse... awful.. just awful.

If you're a gamer, Macs are a joke. If you're into playing poker online, Macs are a joke. If you're serious about accounting, Macs are ridiculous.

Not that I love Microshaft or anything, but until Linux starts growing a bit, it's the best thing out there.

213898[/snapback]

I don't understand your last point. OS X is UNIX.

213898[/snapback]

Well, I wouldn't exactly call playing online poker a good measure of the usefulness of a computer platform, whatever the type.

As for gaming, I (and I'm certain my wife) would consider myself to be a gamer and I get along just fine on a Mac. It really depends on your perspective. I won't even begin to argue that there are far more games available for the PC than the Mac, but the truth is that, unless you play games for hours every day, there are more than enough available for the Mac.

Right now I'm somewhere in the middle of four separate games, and I have a stack of yet-to-be-installed games sitting on my desk. There are just too many for me to get through. Then again, I don't play for hours every day. I also have more of an attention span than a typical teenager, so I actually play most games all the way through to the end.

Some of the best games out there aren't available for the Mac, that's true, and for many you have to wait for the port...although typically that's getting shorter and shorter.

You can call it a joke if you want, but for the majority of people above the age of, say, 25, it's quite all right.

oh man, that's the worst.

When I first moved down here, I lived in a 3-bedroom house. The other two both were graphic designers, so of course they had MACs...

I never realized how often i right-click on things (for file properties, mainly) until i used that frigging mouse... awful.. just awful.

213905[/snapback]

There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from plugging a two-button mouse into a Mac and having it work exactly as expected without having to do a single other thing.

You can call it a joke if you want, but for the majority of people above the age of, say, 25, it's quite all right.

214235[/snapback]

It's obvious that he doesn't know enough about Mac to call it anything else. Good post, as I'm not a gamer and wasn't sure why people would think that they can't play a game on a Mac. It sure as hell isn't an issue with the hardware, that I do know.

It's obvious that he doesn't know enough about Mac to call it anything else.  Good post, as I'm not a gamer and wasn't sure why people would think that they can't play a game on a Mac.  It sure as hell isn't an issue with the hardware, that I do know.

214248[/snapback]

I can understand it from the perspective of numbers. There is far more software for the PC than for the Mac, games or other. There's also a lot more crap software for the PC than for the Mac.

As far as games go, you can look at it this way: typically the more popular games get ported to the Mac since those are the ones most likely to make enough money. So basically, the good, popular games make it over, and the crap generally stays behind.

Ocasionally one of the really good games (like Half-Life) don't make it over, usually because of greed or stubborness. But that's okay, I still have four games to finish and another four sitting on my desk waiting to get installed. Plus I just bought another one...probably won't get to it for a couple of months.

Mac's are WAY easier to configure.Everything is plug and play.There is no BIOS to screw around with,and you won't run into the hardware conflicts that can happen on PC's (as we well know)You will not have to worry about viruses,and spyware.(I've been using Mac's for 17 years and I have not had a single virus attack)There are in excess of 10,000 applications for the Mac platform.How many do you need?Additionally,the Mac can run most UNIX apps with a little tweaking.If you REALLY need to run a specific Windows app that is not available for the Mac,you can run a program called Virtual PC that will allow you to run most Windows apps on the Mac.(the program is not satisfactory for games though)There are some familiar PC apps available for the Mac such as Microsoft Office 2004 to name one off of the top of my head.

In terms of expense vs. the Windows platform,there is a new stripped down mini Mac on the market.Here is a story about it. It is compared head to head with the cheapest available PC's:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...anges/index.php

213580[/snapback]

Well, i never imagined this thread would turn into a pissing contest but I have to jump in. I think you are misunderstanding what im saying or maybe I didnt state it properly. Sure mac's are easy to configure. They are made to be for the casual user who just wants the thing to start up to cruise the web and so on. And thats great for that kind of user. Macs are perfect for that(albeit way friggen overpriced) But to each his own. What I meant though was that I can configure a PC much more to what I want as far as components go. I can get cutting edge ram, mobos and 10000rpm hard drives for my pc if I want to in many different makes and flavors. You cant say that for mac. You take what they offer and its all what mac wants. So the choice is really not much of a choice at all. Just try to buy the latest video card for a mac that can push polys and blast out frames like no ones business. You cant. Yea maybe a year later mac will bring it out but by that time video cards for pcs are two generations beyond. As far as the mini mac is concerned you can get a better pc rig for the same money. Yes its cheap for a mac but still not as powerful a comparably priced pc. Go here to check out how cheaply a comparable pc can be built for.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7857

Well, i never imagined this thread would turn into a pissing contest but I have to jump in. I think you are misunderstanding what im saying or maybe I didnt state it properly. Sure mac's are easy to configure. They are made to be for the casual user who just wants the thing to start up to cruise the web and so on. And thats great for that kind of user. Macs are perfect for that(albeit way friggen overpriced) But to each his own. What I meant though was that I can configure a PC much more to what I want as far as components go. I can get cutting edge ram, mobos and 10000rpm hard drives for my pc if I want to in many different makes and flavors. You cant say that for mac. You take what they offer and its all what mac wants. So the choice is really not much of a choice at all. Just try to buy the latest video card for a mac that can push polys and blast out frames like no ones business. You cant. Yea maybe a year later mac will bring it out but by that time video cards for pcs  are two generations beyond.  As far as the mini mac is concerned you can get a better pc rig for the same money. Yes its cheap for a mac but still not as powerful a comparably priced pc. Go here to check out how cheaply a comparable pc can be built for.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7857

214384[/snapback]

Not really trying to make this a pissing contest, just trying to dispel the usual myths that float around. I don't know where you get your information from, but you can configure a Mac when you buy it in any of those ways. And, I've configured my Macs lots of different ways over the years. Added/replaced RAM (nothing special about Mac RAM), added hard drives of all sorts (not much special about Mac hard drives either), switched out video cards many times...yes, you can't use the most cutting edge video cards that the PCs use, but what's out there for Macs is pretty strong and easily handles the most intensive games that are currently available. What more does anyone need?

Not really trying to make this a pissing contest, just trying to dispel the usual myths that float around. I don't know where you get your information from, but you can configure a Mac when you buy it in any of those ways. And, I've configured my Macs lots of different ways over the years. Added/replaced RAM (nothing special about Mac RAM), added hard drives of all sorts (not much special about Mac hard drives either), switched out video cards many times...yes, you can't use the most cutting edge video cards that the PCs use, but what's out there for Macs is pretty strong and easily handles the most intensive games that are currently available. What more does anyone need?

214406[/snapback]

Why do the KOOL-AID DRINKING Mac ZEALOTS never change with time...

God, I have been hearing this same crap for 15 years...

This *** WAS *** a thread about a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player, not a thread to talk about how sweet and upgradeable your current overpriced Mac is..

SIGH

Why do the KOOL-AID DRINKING Mac ZEALOTS never change with time...

God, I have been hearing this same crap for 15 years...

This *** WAS *** a thread about a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player, not a thread to talk about how sweet and upgradeable your current overpriced Mac is..

SIGH

214500[/snapback]

Mostly because people like you can't see past the same old tired arguments and your own nearsightedness. There was nothing particularly zealous about anything I said. It was, if you bothered to actually read it, quite factual and nothing more, and only in response to a false statement that was made. I didn't bring it up. But what do you care? It must just be another Mac zealot.

No, this wasn't a thread to talk about any of this, but so what? Hell, isn't just about every thread here hijacked by someone to talk about whatever it is they want to talk about? Deal with it. And the point, which apparently needs to be made for you, is not how sweet and upgradeable the Mac is. It's just that it is, in fact, upgradeable, unlike what others have said.

Sorry to piss in your cheerios, but if someone is going to say something that isn't true, I'm going to point it out. Just like is done in any other thread here in any other topic. Just cause you're tired of hearing Mac people doesn't mean anyone else should particularly care.