Article on 'Tonawanda Kardex,' early NFL, quoting TBD regular

l< j

Interesting read on a team that folded after losing its first game in the NFL in 1921, the Tonawanda Kardex, named for an office furniture company there. I believe the Ken Crippen quoted here is a regular here.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/the-nfl-team-that-only-survived-long-enough-to-lose-1-game-tonawanda-kardex-73499/

kj

Cool find. I love NFL historical stuff like this. By the way, 1921 was the same year Buffalo was cheated out of the NFL championship.

Would most definitely recommed Ken Crippens (twobillsdrives' KRC) "The Original Buffalo Bills"....excellent book. I purchased it for myself back in 2009, then picked up one for my dad at Albright Knox, when they had their Buffalo Bills 50th anniversary exhibit...he loved it. My dad mentioned the Tonawanda Kardex a few times (we lived in Kenmore/Tonawada)...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Buffalo-Bills-All-America/dp/0786446196/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391489688&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=buffalo+bills+cripen

Couldn't help but notice that somebody on Amazon is trying to get $1934 for an original edition of this book....a more realistically priced copy can be had for about $35.

Mr Crippen isn't one to boast around here, or self advertise, but the man knows his stuff!

Edited by Buftex

Cool find. I love NFL historical stuff like this. By the way, 1921 was the same year Buffalo was cheated out of the NFL championship.

They kinda screwed themselves.

Would most definitely recommed Ken Crippens (twobillsdrives' KRC) "The Original Buffalo Bills"....excellent book. I purchased it for myself back in 2009, then picked up one for my dad at Albright Knox, when they had their Buffalo Bills 50th anniversary exhibit...he loved it. My dad mentioned the Tonawanda Kardex a few times (we lived in Kenmore/Tonawada)...

http://www.amazon.co...lo bills cripen

Couldn't help but notice that somebody on Amazon is trying to get $1934 for an original edition of this book....a more realistically priced copy can be had for about $35.

Mr Crippen isn't one to boast around here, or self advertise, but the man knows his stuff!

$1934 for the book? Damn. I'll sell you an autographed copy for less than that. How does an even $1900 sound? :P Thank you for the compliments.

Furniture? I thought Kardex was a womanly product. Thanks for the link though.

Kardex is a visible filing system used for applications like inventory and countless others. It was very popular in the pre computer age. Generally the system consisted of overlapping 8 X 5 cards so that only a quarter inch of each card was visible through a transparent plastic "window" The cards were kept in trays in a cabinet and were filed alphabetically or numerically. You pulled out the appropriate tray and could quickly scan the entire tray for the correct title and then flipped the appropriate card for editing. A Kardex file was an excellent manual system and it was the best way to locate a file in a pre computer age. I am certain there are some still in use today. Kardex eventually became part of Remington Rand and was located in Tonawanda. The site of the plant is a restaurant today with the name of Remington. You could purchase a Kardex file in a number of configurations and it was a kind of office furniture.

Edited by Trader