Looking forward to the season

Yoho

As a lifelong Bills fan (and that means a fan since the Bills began in the AFL), let me play old guy and offer some perspective about this years team.

The most you can hope for in the salary-capped NFL is that you can look at your roster and develop a realistic scenario that this can be the year. There are NO sure things, NO teams without holes and NO teams with comfortable depth.

I see a top ranked defense that needs to improve on turnovers (they have shown improvement in the preseason). If the defense can remain in the top 10 and move to the top 10 in turnovers, we have a chance at a serious run, no matter what the offense does.

I see an offense with a lot of tools- a healthy Moulds, 2 potentially great running backs, a new weapon in Lee Evans and a quarterback who is undoubtedly a great leader with a great arm (please do not feel the need to list his limitations, it has been done here approximately 2.7 million posts). Maybe with the new coaching staff and new philosophy, we can become at least an offense in the top half of the league.

There is no way I can make a realistic assessment of special teams until we get the regulars out there. Yes, Lindell does worry me, but he has shown moments, now can he consistent? Maybe.

Are we guaranteed a playoff berth? No way, neither is anyone else. Could we have another double digit losing season? Of course, especially with injuries.

But, we have a legitimate shot. Believe me, there have been many, many years (2002 being the last), where it was almost impossible to put on rose colored glasses and make a case that we could go a long way. For those of you who are convinced that we have no shot this year, I feel a little bad, because the late 80's, early 90's glory days are over and likely will not be coming back. If you want to root for a sure thing, I would suggest becoming a Yankee fan (who can spend twice as much as other teams) and then you can be successful every year.

Let's hope that this is the year that it all comes together. If you can't do that 10 days before opening day, I am not sure what the fun is in being a Bills fan.

Excuse me?  Didn't anyone tell you we're:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!?!?!?!?!?!

16278[/snapback]

Thanks, but, yes, from reading this board, I am more than well aware of the disaster that is about to befall us.

Don't worry most of the same people who are down were psyched when we hired the "experienced" Kevin Gilbride.

16301[/snapback]

The thing I wonder about is - if Bledsoe has a comeback year and goes to the Pro Bowl again will they be happy that the Bills did well or will they be unhappy that their predictions were so wrong?

The thing I wonder about is - if Bledsoe has a comeback year and goes to the Pro Bowl again will they be happy that the Bills did well or will they be unhappy that their predictions were so wrong?

16308[/snapback]

They'll be happy - and they'll conveniently forget what a bunch of pinheads they were along the way.

Excuse me?  Didn't anyone tell you we're:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!?!?!?!?!?!

16278[/snapback]

You've been listening to too much "Operation Mindcrime." B)

(Yes, I have that album.)

As a lifelong Bills fan (and that means a fan since the Bills began in the AFL), let me play old guy and offer some perspective about this years team.

The most you can hope for in the salary-capped NFL is that you can look at your roster and develop a realistic scenario that this can be the year.  There are NO sure things, NO teams without holes and NO teams with comfortable depth. 

I see a top ranked defense that needs to improve on turnovers (they have shown improvement in the preseason).  If the defense can remain in the top 10 and move to the top 10 in turnovers, we have a chance at a serious run, no matter what the offense does.

I see an offense with a lot of tools- a healthy Moulds, 2 potentially great running backs, a new weapon in Lee Evans and a quarterback who is undoubtedly a great leader with a great arm (please do not feel the need to list his limitations, it has been done here approximately 2.7 million posts).  Maybe with the new coaching staff and new philosophy, we can become at least an offense in the top half of the league. 

There is no way I can make a realistic assessment of special teams until we get the regulars out there.  Yes, Lindell does worry me, but he has shown moments, now can he consistent?  Maybe.

Are we guaranteed a playoff berth?  No way, neither is anyone else.  Could we have another double digit losing season?  Of course, especially with injuries. 

But, we have a legitimate shot.  Believe me, there have been many, many years (2002 being the last), where it was almost impossible to put on rose colored glasses and make a case that we could go a long way.  For those of you who are convinced that we have no shot this year, I feel a little bad, because the late 80's, early 90's glory days are over and likely will not be coming back.  If you want to root for a sure thing, I would suggest becoming a Yankee fan (who can spend twice as much as other teams) and then you can be successful every year. 

Let's hope that this is the year that it all comes together.  If you can't do that 10 days before opening day, I am not sure what the fun is in being a Bills fan.

16264[/snapback]

Well said. Football is like most sports, a half-inch here or there throughout a season can make a team a dog or a champion. Who would have figured BAL winning a SB a few years back, for example.

The Bills open the season with as good a chance as any other club, warts and all...

16308[/snapback]

If Drew goes to the Pro Bowl, there will be some who will find fault with his selection. It will probably be the same geniuses who knocked Ruben Brown for his 8 consecutive appearances.

They'll be happy - and they'll conveniently forget what a bunch of pinheads they were along the way.

16327[/snapback]

My theory is that they are protecting themselves from another devastating season like last year - heck, we were writing friggin' haikus prior to the Fish game fiasco.

Last season was tough on the fans because we fell so short of the expectations set early in the season and watched the Pats that we thumped early go on to win the Superbowl.

This year, I forgive the naysayers for being hesitant to jump on the wagon BUT I admit I've started to use the all-powerful ignore option on a few posters :w00t:

If Drew goes to the Pro Bowl, there will be some who will find fault with his selection. It will probably be the same geniuses who knocked Ruben Brown for his 8 consecutive appearances.

16332[/snapback]

Oh man, without a doubt!!!

Nothing is good enough for them.

Not possible to listen to too much "Mindcrime."  I was thinking about going home and watching the Live DVD performance tonight.  It's really quite amazing.

16335[/snapback]

Can't argue with you there. Don't have the DVD, but bought the album a few years ago with no prior knowledge of Queensryche other than "Silent Lucidity." But, I was looking for a smart, heavy concept ablum and, after reading a few online reviews, picked it up. As a prog fan, I think it holds a very high place in the genre.

All I can say is this:

Last year, we really stunk. Bad. That team was painful to watch sometimes, maybe even most of the time. Sure the defense was pretty good, but the lack of turnovers was really pathetic, and really hurt us. The offense and special teams were dismal.

Yet, as bad we were, we still managed 6-10. A few balls bouncing the other way and it's easily 8-8.

I just refuse to believe we will be as damn awful as we were last year. And we won't be. The offense WILL be better. The defense WILL get more turnovers. The special teams WILL improve, at least some.

There is reason to be hopeful, that is for sure. How hopeful, me not know.

Guest Guesteroo
All I can say is this:

Last year, we really stunk. Bad. That team was painful to watch sometimes, maybe even most of the time. Sure the defense was pretty good, but the lack of turnovers was really pathetic, and really hurt us. The offense and special teams were dismal.

Yet, as bad we were, we still managed 6-10. A few balls bouncing the other way and it's easily 8-8.

I just refuse to believe we will be as damn awful as we were last year. And we won't be. The offense WILL be better. The defense WILL get more turnovers. The special teams WILL improve, at least some.

There is reason to be hopeful, that is for sure. How hopeful, me not know.

16395[/snapback]

Then again, the chances are equally as good that the defense slides back to the pack, and we finish 4-12. Food for thought. . .

Then again, the chances are equally as good that the defense slides back to the pack, and we finish 4-12. Food for thought. . .

16419[/snapback]

Of course, we could backward, but that was exactly my original point. All you can hope for as a fan is that there is a reasonable chance if things go right that there is enough talent and potential to make a run.

We all know that things can go wrong and we can be 4-12. If you are as old as me you know that we can only one game all year (happened twice). We can all write a scenario where the season is an utter disaster.

Maybe some of you were spoiled by the Super Bowl years, but I remember Bills teams in the 70's and 80's that were picking people up on the waiver wire the week before the season and starting them on opening day. Those were teams without hope. This team has a lot of talent and potentially good coaching. Let's hope it comes together rather than obsessing about all that can go wrong and highlighting the limitations of every player. Lighten up and have fun.