it's a QUARTERBACK driven league

papazoid

Funny how an offensive line is needed for both a running game and a good passing game... Not saying the line needs to be great at both but it would be nice to be dominant in one phase and at least competent in the other.

Bills have the young QB, they have the two B's, they have speed at WR, build the line and get the kid a TE. How would EJ look behind San Francisco's wall of first rounders throwing to Vernon Davis....

I was about to post almost the same thing, but you beat me to it.

The Seahawks are essentially what (I think) Buddy Nix was trying to build. He drafted a lot of defense and he/Whaley drafted a good/not great QB prospect. If they want to continue in the Seahawk mold, they need to shore up the LB corp a bit, keep Byrd and fill in the OL a bit to improve the run game.

I still think a great WR or TE would help open up the offense a lot. I just heard a stat that Colin Kaepernick was almost 5 percentage points better in completion percentage when he has all three of Michael Crabtree, Bolden and Vernon Davis - any of those 3 would have been the best/most experienced receiver on the Bills this year. Now, I think Robert Woods is going to be very good, but another good threat (preferably bigger, but not necessarily) would help a great deal.

I agree. Just look at how Rivers' made a huge comeback when he got Keenan Allen and Danny Woodhead, look at how horrible Eli Manning looked when he lost his TE Bennett and Nicks imploded on him.

IMO the Bills need a "prime" target for Manuel to progress to the next level. I don't know if that's the first or second round, but I think a very good prospect will be there at either of the Bills' first two draft picks. Graham is a proven disappointment who needs to get replaced asap.

Edited by 1billsfan

Funny how an offensive line is needed for both a running game and a good passing game... Not saying the line needs to be great at both but it would be nice to be dominant in one phase and at least competent in the other.

Bills have the young QB, they have the two B's, they have speed at WR, build the line and get the kid a TE. How would EJ look behind San Francisco's wall of first rounders throwing to Vernon Davis....

Helps, not needed.

Seattle's OL has been atrocious this year, and their offense hums along just fine.

+1

I have said this before.....trading down and selecting Manuel WORKED, but it was a very odd move imo. If I was GM and truly believed that EJ was going to be a top 10 QB at some point, I would NOT have taken the chance. My fear would have been that 1 other GM saw what I saw in him and would grab him before we picked at 16.

I will always believe that the Bills had another QB (Geno Smith?) rated about as high as EJ or they never would have traded down. This of course is simply my opinion.

This actually makes a ton of sense.

No the worst you can do is draft another QB in the 1st round, now both a competing for snaps and neither gets enough to improve. I've heard from multiple outlets once the regular season starts, the back up QB gets around 2 snaps per week with the first team. So how's he going to improve which ever one it it? These days with all the new rules reducing OTA's two-a-days, and other off season work, it also reduces the amount of snaps you get in training camp too. You could use a lower round pick on another QB, but with a rookie, it's unlikely he'd look any better than either Lewis or Tuell.

I agree it is a QB driven league and the problem is there aren't enough to go around. Adding up all the teams I count 14 teams that if I were the GM, I'm completely happy with my QB, I count nine teams that are either actively looking for a new QB or have someone they believe is their #1, but is completely unproven like the Bills and Jets. Then there's another seven teams left that have a solid QB, has proven they are somewhat capable, but not enough to move up into the group of 14 teams whom have no plans to upgrade and two years from now these teams could all find themselves in the group of teams looking to make a change. I'd include teams like Miami, Cinnci, and would also include teams like Wash, Balt (a year ago people were claiming Flacco was a bust, then he wins the SB, this year not looking so good again)

So the Bill's had Fitz who had games where he looked like he could move up to the "A" league so again don't want to waste a high draft pick to sit the bench when have many other needs. So you keep the guy and try and ride him hoping he plays steady, eventually most of these guys tail off and then you move on to the next choice. The problem too why teams are reluctant to move on to the next guy is look at he high rate of failures of rookies. I've heard this year they expect around five QB's to go in the first round. I'll promise you at least two will be labeled busts in five years, trouble is you don't know which ones and another one or two will become the Fitz of 2018 or so. But given those odds you tend to ride the middle of the road guy a little longer and hope he can move up to the next level or at least close to the next level.

The worst that you can do by drafting a good QB AND having EJ develop into a top 10 guy, is have a good player to trade in the future. The worst you can do by not drafting someone is have EJ bust out and be right back where we are... rebuilding. So, if 2015 doesn't look good for QBs, take one ..or two.. now!

The NFL is, more than ever before, a quarterback league. And we’ve got some great ones playing in these playoffs.

If the wild card weekend taught us anything, it’s that the NFL in 2014 is dominated by quarterbacks.

There were no 100-yard rushers. The flip side of the NFL being a league of great quarterbacks is that the running game has been de-emphasized. There wasn’t a single 100-yard runner in the NFL this weekend. In fact, it was a quarterback, Kaepernick, who led all runners in the wild card round with his 98-yard game against the Packers. Running backs just aren’t the NFL’s marquee players anymore.

http://profootballta...t-quarterbacks/

look at the regular season ending Total QBR rankings.

11 of the 12 QB's who made the playoffs are in the TOP 15....... 8 of 8 of the remaining QB's are in the Top 15.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

EJ Manuel is ranked 28th in QBR. in my opinion, the best he will do is crack the Top 20. that ain't good enough.

if the 2013 Bills had a Top 15 QB we would of had 5 more wins. our team, warts and all is good enough just the way it is, if you just fix the QB position.

you could upgrade any other position on the team and it will only result in 1 more win.

I agree about the importance of QB but there has been quite a bit of running in these playoffs, reminds of when men were men ... (cue Archie Bunker song)