NFL Rules That Are Nothing Short of Contradictory ?

T master

I was just watching some recap of the Cinci / San Diego game & Dalton fumbled after running down field & went down and fumbled . Well while watching the Play on the news he was down & slid 2 feet before the ball came out .

I thought the ground couldn't cause a fumble ? Not to mention that his knee , elbow, & pretty much his entire body was on the ground . Yet it was still called a fumble .

It is a fumble. If he was tripped and fell to the ground he would have been down and no fumble.

QBs need to slide feet first but they dont get the yardage from the slide.

A receiver or runner can call themselves down without contact without sliding by just kneeling. This would come into play on a last second pass to set up a half/game ending FG where you know you are in range but if the reciver runs they could burn the clock down to nothing so they stop to then call a time out.

Then in the same report Marshawn got fined for NOT talking to the media :huh: I know there is a rule that every player has to talk to the media but to get fined $50K ?? Come on !! Heck i've seen guys get fined less for hitting a guy leading with his helmet !

Its a violation of league media rules. He will get fined again if Seattle makes it to the super bowl and he doesnt participate in media day.

Then there is the deal of having "control" of the ball all the way through motion of going to the ground, when caught by a WR . But aren't you down when your knee is down ? At least thats what the rule says --- right ?

This is a rule that is getting interpretted very inconsistantly the league needs to relook at what is a catch and what isnt. I have seen similar plays in different games get called opposite ways.

BUT BUT , What happens when the guy is running & puts the ball across the goal line & the ball hits the ground & it comes out or the player loses control when hitting the ground & the player himself is not down but because the ball breaks the plain of the goal line it's a TD :blink: ??

The instant you break the plane from running in makes it a TD. The moment its broken the play is over. Its different if you catch in the end zone. you need to establish possession first before the play then is considered dead because of the score.

I don't know but it seems as though the rules comity needs to take a long hard look at some of their rules because they don't make a lot of sense .

Are there any thoughts about some other calls that may have been made in these play offs that are contradictory in what the out come may have been in a game ?

Lastly would any of you know how to get in touch with the NFL to complain about some of these rules they need to change ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic