social responsibility of businesses

tomato can

Yes, by pointing out that you mischaracterized what happened I'm clearly stating that it was not an environmental problem, even though I said no such thing.

Bingo.

I'm sorry, I had no idea what you were screaming about. Perhaps when something upsets you so much you should elaborate more. This was a failure of both business and government. Hooker WAS responsible for simply toss metal drums of extremely toxic ooze in the ground and not screaming about it when the ignorant city forced them to sell. This is a perfect case of both government and business failing us.

Hooker WAS responsible for simply toss metal drums of extremely toxic ooze in the ground and not screaming about it when the ignorant city forced them to sell.

Except that they didn't simply toss extremely toxic ooze in the ground, and they did scream about it when the city forced them to sell.

Other than that, you're right. :rolleyes:

Except that they didn't simply toss extremely toxic ooze in the ground, and they did scream about it when the city forced them to sell.

Other than that, you're right. :rolleyes:

You are right! They tossed it in metal drums that rusted away in a few years. Got me there!

Merry Christmas Tom!! :beer:

The short version is: Hooker Chemical followed all possible contemporary precautions and regulations, then explicitly warned the city (with a disclaimer in the deed) when they forced the sale of the land for development. 25 years later, after building a subdivision on a disclosed toxic landfill, Niagara Falls turned around and blamed Oxy (who purchased Hooker) for improperly disposing of chemicals in a residential neighborhood.

It's actually an interesting test case for the idea of "corporate responsibility." Hooker originally refused to sell the land to Niagara Falls specifically because it was a toxic waste site. Then when it was clear the city was going to take the land one way or another, Hooker took $1 for it, and filed a quit-claim deed with specific warnings to not build on the site. Did Hooker have any responsibility after the sale for anything that happened on that site?

No, the reposnsiblity was then on the City and the Developer. They acted with the utmost integrity, building a fine residential neighborhood for unsuspecting hardworking Americans to buy into. I mean yes the puddle in the streets during a hard rain were red and burned a kids foot, but thats normal, right?

So who eventually was liable for that mess?

No, the reposnsiblity was then on the City and the Developer. They acted with the utmost integrity, building a fine residential neighborhood for unsuspecting hardworking Americans to buy into. I mean yes the puddle in the streets during a hard rain were red and burned a kids foot, but thats normal, right?

So who eventually was liable for that mess?

Yep, sticking dangerous chemicals, in metal drums, in a pit right above 167' Niagara Falls... Even if encapsulated in clay... Sounds like such a great idea! Hey, won't The Falls just be a serious of rapids when it finally reaches Buffalo and Lake Erie in so many thousands of years? When that happens, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan will suddenly drop 100 feet in elevation and all that water will flush the dioxin (what ever happened to seep out the sides of the cut gorge) out to Lake Ontario and to the sea!

All humor aside... How the heck was that ever picked as a pemananent site in the first place! Who would ever think anybody would do something like that? Maybe the gov't was a naive bully! But come on.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois