ESPN AFC East Blog... What a Joke

TheMunsch

that is sadly his best article because it relies on simple points and provides no real insight to anything. It'd have been nice to have him talk about what players are actually doing good and bad vs some strange metric ESPN uses. Or at least, tell us who's atop those lists. If it is Newton, Brady, Manning, rivers, Brees and Rodgers ok. If it is Tannehill, Geno Smith, and Kaep then I call the results suspect at best.

Just saw this - lots of interesting info here. It probably deserves a new thread, and i recommend putting a link to it on the home page.

What I like most about this is that it raises the pros and cons of bringing in competition or not for Manuel. It's what Badolbeelz has been harping on and it's an interesting subject.

Edited by dave mcbride

that is sadly his best article because it relies on simple points and provides no real insight to anything. It'd have been nice to have him talk about what players are actually doing good and bad vs some strange metric ESPN uses. Or at least, tell us who's atop those lists. If it is Newton, Brady, Manning, rivers, Brees and Rodgers ok. If it is Tannehill, Geno Smith, and Kaep then I call the results suspect at best.

You can pull the rank based on any portion of the QBR here.

Now I did me some homework of a more telling stat that will mean more to us. Not once did EJ Manuel get in the top 20% of all performances for the year. He got in @ 21%.

32 other teams QB's were ranked in the top 100 performances @ QBR for the year.

Manning

Kaep

Rivers

Palmer

Romo

Dalton

Cutler

Brady

Ryan

Stafford

Fitzpatrick

Brees

Weeden

Griffin

McCown

Cousins

Wilson

Cassel

Campbell

Foles

Locker

the other Manning

Rodgers

Tannehill

A.Smith

Roethlisberger

Flacco

Keenum

Schaub

Glennon

Pryor

Hoyer

G.Smith

____

Geno Smith had 1 top 20% performance. Many of the other QB's were listed more then once, including Fitzpatrick (14th and 44th). Tannehill had two positions, 40 and 42. Romo 5th and 48th. Dalton 7th, 13th.

EJ's first appearance was 2nd lowest among starters, at 111th. Ponder was rated lower at 127th but Cassel finished higher twice (29th and 103rd).

In fact, our entire QB roster finished quite poorly:

111 Car

190 Jax

213 @Mia (Thad Lewis)

242 NYJ

246 NE

304 @NO (Thad Lewis)

327 Cin (Thad Lewis)

346 @NYJ

378 @NE (Thad Lewis)

390 Mia (Thad Lewis)

401 @Cle

404 Bal

432 ATL

459 KC (Jeff Tuel)

475 @TB

489 @Pit

511 @Cle (Jeff Tuel)

of 256 games, or 512 starting QB's in competition, 519 QB performances graded. The stats above only show 17 QB's performances with both Manuels and Tuel's Cleveland game performances

This tells me that 1) I spent 20-25 minutes compiling this and this is just a hobby vs Rodrak who's job it is to create content. 2) We need to keep perspective on QB's and be open to better options.

Edited by jboyst62