Contract extensions might be the biggest offseason assignment

SBUffalo

The list of free agents the Bills have to lock up this offseason is short: Jairus Byrd, Scott Chandler, Dan Carpenter. They should let Chandler walk so that only leaves two big time players unless you also count Alan Branch.

But the list of free agents in 2015 is pretty big...

UFAs include: Marcell Dareus, Fred Jackson, Aaron Williams, Jerry Hughes, Da'Norris Searcy (could be big if Byrd walks)/

Who on that list do you franchise if none are extended beforehand? I'd say Dareus is the clear answer unless a big injury/regression happens next season. Hughes would be next if he has another big year.

So we could be giving out the first big contract to Dareus, Williams and Hughes next offseason (if Williams continues to improve at safety).

Jackson should be signing his last contract. Would give him pretty much the same money he has now. Give him 3 years, $10 mill if he still looks good next year. That's not a back breaker and it locks him up until he's done.

I think Jerry Hughes deserves a nice contract. For all the criticizing myself and others do about roster moves on this team, the Hughes pickup was EXCELLENT. He's a perfect match for this scheme. The guy has 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles and he's only 25. Sign him up!

In a perfect world we extend Dareus this offseason because he's had more than one good year. Then wait on Hughes' next season before giving him an extension. If he has a big year, give him the contract he deserves.

In a perfect world we extend Dareus this offseason because he's had more than one good year. Then wait on Hughes' next season before giving him an extension. If he has a big year, give him the contract he deserves.

In a perfect world, I would prioritize those signings as:

1. Dareus

2. Hughes

3. A. Williams

4. Searcy

5. Freddy

If we can lock up the first 3 I would be very happy.

isn't A. Williams signed through 2014? And Searcy too? And Freddy?

Edited by bobobonators

if they are smart they get A williams and Darius done this offseason

make hughes do it again

searcy will see

fred will take it one year at a time

I think the Bills need to draft incredibly well again b/c all these guys will be thinking about testing the market. This franchise is not the place to be if the same $$ are available elsewhere. Its happened too many times in the past to be just coincidence. It's the old "do I take a chance on getting hurt in my contract year or do I take the cash while healthy and sign an "OK" contract now from a probably going nowhere Bills franchise"? Tough one. Guys must be wondering what they are getting into when they are drafted by the Bills.

Edited by 8and8Forever