possable backup QB (crazy idea)

ch19079

im bored so heres an idea.

looks like bledsoe might not be around next year.

so JP will start and we need a backup.

also looks like harrington might not be a lion next year.

if the 3 things above happen.

would you like the idea of harrington as our backup QB??

im bored so heres an idea.

looks like bledsoe might not be around next year.

so JP will start and we need a backup.

also looks like harrington might not be a lion next year.

if the 3 things above happen.

would you like the idea of harrington as our backup QB??

210948[/snapback]

I cannot see that happening...but what about Mike McMahon, his teammate as a #2 QB?

Here's a crazy thought. I did a quick study on who's out there and who has 5 or so years of decent experience and some degree of success... also someone who'd come at a reasonable price... so, I spun the wheel and out comes this name...

Todd Bouman.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Nooooooooooo!

What about Kitna? He could even step in and become the starter if it becomes clear that JP needs another year on the bench.

210962[/snapback]

Kitna is signed through 2005 and has stated he would like to stay in Cinci, even as a backup. I don't know if he's an option. Fiedler might be cut.

I'm just looking for a backup with starting experience. Fiedler is average but moves well. Isn't he 6-0 or 6-1 as a starter against the Bills ?

I cannot see that happening...but what about Mike McMahon, his teammate as a #2 QB?

210953[/snapback]

If you're in the former Detroit mode charlie Batch looks like a possibility as well. Its tough to say who would want to come here either way whether Bledsoe will take a paycut to backstop JP in case he fails, gets hurt or simply needs more time before he is ready to start or whether Bledsoe plays and produces in minicamp and then in pre-season like this truly is his team.

Either way the pick-up FA is likely a clipboard carrier disaster QB and this role is part of the path that Shane Matthews was on when he was out of a job and sitting at home on the couch until the Bills lost the #2 and #3 QBs to injury.

This drop seems to big for Harrington to take and mostly comes down to whether McMahon or Batch get better offers, as former but failed starters I think they get offers to be the #2 somewhere.

I think the greater likelihood for the Bills if they are looking to back-up JP and Bledsoe would actually be to go the Kordell route who if he resumes the slash role could be an active Bill who can move in at #3 if needed. Word is the chicago piece has not worked out perfectly for him, he knows MM/Clements well and has succeeded under them and if the Bills get QB cap room in their budget the wherewithal will be there to pay Kordell (who is a UFA) a nice dime.

I don't like Kordell as my #2 because I don't think he will ever be an effective #1 at the SB level we want to attain. However, if bad luck hits us and we have to dip down to the #3 level I'd be pleased to have Kordell over oher potential choices like Todd Collins as we actually might get some contribution out of using the Slash in the tricky Clements offenses.

what do you think about HARRINGTON as our backup QB???

You are assuming that JH will be cut... I just don't see that happening. I think the rumors out there are just plain unfounded. Remember, JH was lighting things up when he had both Charlie Rogers and Roy Williams.... plus having to work with a rookie RB in Kevin Jones. So, no way do I see Detroit cutting him. However, I do see this season as a make or break year for him.

Even if Harrington were to be cut... he would have a lot of suitors and would not come cheap. So IMO... "NO" I would not like to see JH as the Bills backup.

I dont know if you are joking, but if Drew is cut, I would take him in a second.

Not that he is great mind you, but he is experienced and mobile.

210965[/snapback]

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, he might be mobile but he has the arm of a 12-year-old girl .........next thing you know you'll suggest we trade Travis for him.

Sincerely,

The Committee to keep bad players out of Buffalo

Count me as one who would take Jay Fiedler as a back-up!!! For those of you who have actually watched him play, he is in the mold of a Trent Dilfer. By that I mean that he will not outright win you games nor will he outright lose you games. He does what needs to be done...no more, no less. He does not commit the critical mistakes that cost you games.

all interesting, but

what do you think about HARRINGTON as our backup QB???

210978[/snapback]

i think that i'm really really happy that detroit snagged him 3rd overall before we had any chance of taking him with our 4th overall. MW may be coming along slowly, but feel SOOOOOO much better about him right now that JH.

Count me as one who would take Jay Fiedler as a back-up!!!  For those of you who have actually watched him play, he is in the mold of a Trent Dilfer.  By that I mean that he will not outright win you games nor will he outright lose you games.  He does what needs to be done...no more, no less.  He does not commit the critical mistakes that cost you games.

211054[/snapback]

And what exactly is Trent Dilfer doing these days???

Count me as one who would take Jay Fiedler as a back-up!!!  For those of you who have actually watched him play, he is in the mold of a Trent Dilfer.  By that I mean that he will not outright win you games nor will he outright lose you games.  He does what needs to be done...no more, no less.  He does not commit the critical mistakes that cost you games.

211054[/snapback]

Uhh, not exactly true...I have seen him play plenty to know that he can "outright lose you games." Even if you had only watched his performances against the Bills, you could see that. He manages a game no better or worse than Drew. One small diference though, Bledsoe is capable of making a nice play or two here or there. Fiedler will absolutely kill you if he has to...he may be smart, but he is very limited. He is also not as mobile as some here are claiming. He is not Bledsoe slow, but another injury filled year in 2004 (and the fact that he a year older) are going to get him caught up to Drew soon enough.