(OT) Webpage Question

R. Rich

I'm thinking of getting a webpage just to do stuff like post pictures or even do a daily journal or something like that.  Any tips on who I should check with?  Prices?  What things should I look for?  Any help is appreciated.

16108[/snapback]

Websites are pretty easy to do. Hell, I have multiple sites. If I can do it, anyone can. :w00t:

If you need some help, send me a PM with specifics of what you want.

if you go to lunarpages.com you can have a great server package that is SUPER easy to use for less than $8.00 a month... that's what I have and it is UNBELIEVABLE all the options that I get...

here are some comparison sites that rate the cheap server packages...

http://www.web-hosting-reviews.org/

http://www.webhostinginspector.com/index.php?from=1

http://cheap-web-hosting-directory.com/

I'm thinking of getting a webpage just to do stuff like post pictures or even do a daily journal or something like that.  Any tips on who I should check with?  Prices?  What things should I look for?  Any help is appreciated.

16108[/snapback]

What's a webpage? Seriously though it sounds like you want to do a blog and there's tons of site that allow you to do one unless you were thinking of doing r.rich.com. As fun as webpages are, if you want a good one, they are a lot of work.

You got a point there.  What an ass  hole.

16160[/snapback]

He is only a junior a-hole. He has a while before reaching senior or mega status.

Now, will you PPP bastards stop ruining Rich's thread? Take your stuff back to that board.

to add to my above post and get this thread back on topic....

I get

40 GB bandwidth transfer a month

800 MB storage space

unlimited email accounts

a kick a$$ message board

subdomains, parked domains, add-on domains

MySQL database

easy webmail

and a lot more....look into it, there are many companies offering really good packages for less than $10 a month

to add to my above post and get this thread back on topic....

I get

40 GB bandwidth transfer a month

800 MB storage space

unlimited email accounts

a kick a$$ message board

subdomains, parked domains, add-on domains

MySQL database

easy webmail

and a lot more....look into it, there are many companies offering really good packages for less than $10 a month

16223[/snapback]

What company do you use?

16108[/snapback]

R, I've used Earthlink for years, and they say they will give you a personal site for free. I've never looked into it, but IIRC you have said you have used them as a provider. Might be worth a look if you still are one of their subscribers.

R, I've used Earthlink for years, and they say they will give you a personal site for free. I've never looked into it, but IIRC you have said you have used them as a provider.  Might be worth a look if you still are one of their subscribers.

16236[/snapback]

That's a good point. Most ISP's have some hosting services. Usually, it is a good place to start. If things grow outside the host's limits, then you can start looking for other hosting services.

That is how I started, many moons ago.

Ask G.Host....he's pretty smart about that stuff.

16112[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment but I am pretty dumb about it.

Prices are really determined by following things

- what features you need

- how much bandwidth you need

- how much software do you want ISP or other provider to provide

- So you care abour ads?

You can display pictures on free sites like Tripod

http://members.tripod.com/~g_host/

(a backup of my regular site)

And they even provide software and web interface

Otherwise for low activity sites you can pay pretty little, $5-$10 per month for abre bone sites. Fancier sites will cost you more but they come with more features.

What company do you use?

16230[/snapback]

I'm with lunarpages.com

we have a message board for our friends and family and it is pretty active for the 20 members that we have as well as our regular website and we have had no problems. The "private" message board we have has been one of the greatest ideas we came up with, my friends and family are very spread out all over the U.S. so it keeps us all in touch and discussing topics on a daily basis without having to be on the phone constantly.

I know, that is way more than what you asked... :w00t:

I'm with lunarpages.com

we have a message board for our friends and family and it is pretty active for the 20 members that we have as well as our regular website and we have had no problems.  The "private" message board we have has been one of the greatest ideas we came up with, my friends and family are very spread out all over the U.S. so it keeps us all in touch and discussing topics on a daily basis without having to be on the phone constantly.

I know, that is way more than what you asked...  :w00t:

16290[/snapback]

Nothing better than not having to be on the phone with your family. :wacko:

Nothing better than not having to be on the phone with your family.  :wacko:

16294[/snapback]

you know what I mean!!! good for the spur of the moment thoughts and discussions... and wasting a ton of time at work... as I do all day long, if I'm not here, I'm there :w00t:

16108[/snapback]

Try Smugmug. It's $29 for the year and unlimited space. I have been using it for a few months and it is as esy as it looks. You can use the basics and it works just fine. If you know HTML, you can snaz it up if you like. I tried a few of 'em and it was the best. I use it to share photos. The price also includes no ads or registration and it won't spam the people who use it. You can restrict which photos to publish. Send me a PM if you want more info.