Geno v. EJ... part 2

cage

Well, we had a decent enough test of that in Week 12 when these 2 QBs squared off against one another. The Bills were minus any sembalnce of a running game, Chandler was essentially a non-factor, and BOTH Stevie and Woods were out. Which QB prevailed?

In all honesty it is going to take some time before we know for sure what is up with these 2. There are some things about Geno that I like, and I do believe that he entered the league as a more polished passer than EJ. I do think he throws a pretty ball -- and his footwork is better than EJ's. That said, I think EJ is miles ahead in the leadership department. I also think that EJ entered the league in a more favorbale situation: better supporting cast, greater continuity (if you can believe that) -- and minus the fishbowl in NYC. Geno made matters worse by running his mouth and complaining about not being drafted in the first round. He definitely has some maturity issues going on. Of course, those are the same things that drove Atlanta to trade away Brett Favre after just one season.

All in all, despite the many issues I have had with the offensive coaching and play calling, I do believe that they have down a commndable job of bringing EJ along. He may have a tendency to check-down too soon, but he does not have that deer-in-the-headlights look or start succomb to pressure in the pocket. His confidence remains en tact. If he can continue to improve his footwork and improve his accuracy, I think he is a keeper. That is, of course, if he can stay healthy.

I agree, it is way too early to tell about either. That being said I believed and still believe that Manuel was the top QB in the draft. I watched a lot of his games. Not as many for Smith. Smith lost me when Syracuse beat WV in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Manuel has been checking down too much. As opposed to Trent Edwards, who did have the deer in headlights look, I think Manual is being overly cautious. In Manuel's case I believe it is fixable.

For the life of me I can't understand why you draft a QB to be the future of the franchise and then don't hire a QB coach.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is far from clear at this point that EJ is definitely better than Geno. Although, he likely is. That said, being better than trash makes you slightly less disgusting trash. Who cares who the best QB was this year...they are all terrible...and in all likelihood it's that dweeb in Tampa anyway.

Compare his first 8 games to other star QBs' first 8 games...he's doing alright for a rookie QB (really, we're complaining about 9 TDs and 4 INTs in first eight games). And had Stevie held on to the ball, what would we be saying about poised 4th qtr comeback EJ. Also, fans complain that the Bills need to rebuild with a potential franchise QB (whatever we think that means)...we lose games in his first year (which is what generally happens in rebuilding) and we panic.

Lastly, the difference is not exactly slight -- 8 TDs, 19 INTs vs. 9 TDs, 4 INTs

EJ Manuel gets his chance to stake his claim as top rookie QB of '13 this week in Tampa. Manuel vs Glennon is an interesting matchup that goes back to their days in the ACC.

In case anyone was wondering here is their head to head stats:

EJ record 1-1, win 2011, loss 2012

EJ 42/63 66.7%, 539 yds, 3 tds, 2 ints

Glennon 444/68 64.7%, 451 yds, 2 tds, 3ints

Manual should be 2-0 vs Glennon. In that loss FSU had a 16 point lead at halftime. Fisher put his offense into a shell, let NCS back into it.