Whats the rule on running picks?

I always thought the refs would throw the flag when they saw it. Living here in new England and watching the pats get away with it week after weeks it so obvious, I just always thought the refs were just afraid of Brady. But today on several plays, the WR started blocking while the ball was still in the air. That last completion to Douglas was so obvious that if that wasn't called it should never be. Why can't we run pick plays, what with these long fades down the sideline.

There are legal and illegal picks

I believe on screens you can block as long as the ball is in the air but not before

The Bills offense is too simplistic to incorporate anything that would help get the receivers open

Denver's whole passing attack is based on WR picks. They have perfected it

Atlantas big WRs are also well known league wide for being very physical. Picks, push offs, etc.... It seems they have found the line and operate right on the edge of it. Having watched them often, it's amazing white hasn't collected more flags.

So it wasn't just me... I thought Atlanta got away with a ridiculous number of poorly disguised picks.

I agree. If the refs are going to let this go, maybe we need to do more of it. The problem is, a pick takes a receiver out of the play and limits a quarterback's options. So you need an experienced quarterback to run an offense based on picks. Like Manning, Brady, or Ryan.

So it wasn't just me... I thought Atlanta got away with a ridiculous number of poorly disguised picks.

I agree. If the refs are going to let this go, maybe we need to do more of it. The problem is, a pick takes a receiver out of the play and limits a quarterback's options. So you need an experienced quarterback to run an offense based on picks. Like Manning, Brady, or Ryan.

It also helps when you have beasts like Julio, and roddy white or decker, Thomas and Thomas--- big guys both are expected to have some more jostling around them and lesser (ie easier to justify as incidental) contact has bigger effects.

Couple the qb you describe with the WR I did AND give them lots of continuity and reps..... Can be very effective.

Have a rookie qb, rookie WRs, little guys, and a new system and it's going to take time.

I think the rule is that you can block as long as the ball is thrown to a receiver behind the line of scrimmage. That happened on the final Atlanta drive. That's what I think you are referring to.

I could be wrong though.