Re: Optimisticly sure that we are out of the playoffs

JTO

It sounds crazy considering no playoffs since 1999, but the goal isn't to make the playoffs, it's to win the Super Bowl. If the Bills had been lucky with regard to injuries, they might have had a chance a a wildcard berth, but once Kolb/Manuel/Lewis got hurt, along with Byrd and Gilmore being out, and Carrington going out, it was over.

I'm OK with that, because Marrone's NOT OK with that. I've been a Bills fan a lot longer than Marrone's been their coach (longer than he's been alive) so I've seen this movie. But there is a rising sense on the team that things are changing, and Marrone's attitude and Whaley's drafting are two big reasons. This year's draft is the first one with multiple impact players in many many years. Look at the drafts over the past 10 years, prior to 2012, and you'll see immediately why the Bills have floundered. I agree Whaley is invested in Manuel and will not want to pick someone else (unless Manuel has a devastating injury), and that's OK too. The Bills need a lot of help at linebacker and cornerback, and need upgrades at both guard positions and at DE (yes, even with the guys we have). I think an impact player on defense, either LB or DE, in round 1, and a guard in round 2, are coming.

I am sick and tired of watching teams that can't run the ball get healthy playing the Bills. How many times do we have to see a delay run over the defense's right side, form up and then break out for 8 yards or more. Are the DTs getting buried? Isn't there supposed to be a LB over there somewhere? Maybe it's a scheme problem. Whatever the cause, that has to be fixed.

It sounds crazy considering no playoffs since 1999, but the goal isn't to make the playoffs, it's to win the Super Bowl. If the Bills had been lucky with regard to injuries, they might have had a chance a a wildcard berth, but once Kolb/Manuel/Lewis got hurt, along with Byrd and Gilmore being out, and Carrington going out, it was over.

I'm OK with that, because Marrone's NOT OK with that. I've been a Bills fan a lot longer than Marrone's been their coach (longer than he's been alive) so I've seen this movie. But there is a rising sense on the team that things are changing, and Marrone's attitude and Whaley's drafting are two big reasons. This year's draft is the first one with multiple impact players in many many years. Look at the drafts over the past 10 years, prior to 2012, and you'll see immediately why the Bills have floundered. I agree Whaley is invested in Manuel and will not want to pick someone else (unless Manuel has a devastating injury), and that's OK too. The Bills need a lot of help at linebacker and cornerback, and need upgrades at both guard positions and at DE (yes, even with the guys we have). I think an impact player on defense, either LB or DE, in round 1, and a guard in round 2, are coming.

I am sick and tired of watching teams that can't run the ball get healthy playing the Bills. How many times do we have to see a delay run over the defense's right side, form up and then break out for 8 yards or more. Are the DTs getting buried? Isn't there supposed to be a LB over there somewhere? Maybe it's a scheme problem. Whatever the cause, that has to be fixed.

Injuries happen to all teams. But to your point the depth is not there on this team because of the horrible drafting.

I like your idea on taking an impact defensive player on the first. It's kinda counter intuitive but the 2014 draft is looking like the top 10 is going to be heavily offensive so you might get a great defensive player that drops.

The Texas A&M receiver does look like a stud.

I've seen him make the catch with 3 players draped all over him multiple times. That fight for the ball translates to the NFL. He is high ceiling low risk in my opinion.

The pressure if there was any is over. Realistic people know this team is not playoff bound or worthy. I am inclined to now open up the offense and let EJ throw the ball and get comfortable as an NFL QB. Stop the babying and coddling and go full throttle on the offense. One of two things will happen. Either he'll become an nfl qb right before our eyes or we can have the discussion about a qb in the first round.

LV

I completely agree, but Whaley ain't gonna do it. He was Manuel's biggest fan - the guy touting his practice performance on a rainy, windswept day in Florida before the draft. He also was the one making negative comments to anyone who would listen about Barkley's weak pro day. In short, he's heavily invested in Manuel's success.

This is an important point. Manuel is their guy. I would be shocked if they picked a QB in the draft. Unfortunately, they decided this year was the year to decide on their "franchise QB" (man i hate that term). The weakest QB draft in recent memory. Tough to be a Bills fan. Well, Ralph will pass sooner rather than later and the whole thing will get blown up again, so what's the difference? These aren't the coaches and players you'll be seeing in a couple years anyway.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Optimistically, we were never in the playoffs. The Bills are still a year or two away from being a stable, viable team in the NFL; not such a long time in the context of the last decade or so.

I agree with you on this.......but considering that we have missed 14 years of playoffs in a row, simply making the playoffs, regardless of being an actual legitimate playoff team, has pretty much become an understandable need for many fans.

Edited by Dibs

I agree w you that we need some more impact players on D. The run D is still pretty poor a lot of the time. And our corners are marginal at best. Gilmore's poor play is very surprising. He really needs to step his game up, otherwise that's another hole to fill.

But w/o a solid QB we are going nowhere... So far EJ looks woefully inadequate. Sure he is a rookie. But he has shown next to nothing to lead any of us to believe he is anything more than a scrub. I want to see solid strides over the next six games. If his lackluster play continues, we have to give him solid competition next season. Marrone and Whaley know that. Another season like this, and Marrone will not be here. It is all about wins and losses, and nothing more.