My Offseason Wish List

So I'm sitting here on this amazingly cold night, waiting for my roommates to come back with food and I began to ponder what would make me conent with this offseason. Now, I'm trying to be realistic with all of our moves, so if anyone is looking for an offseason prediction of Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and TJ Houshmendzwhateverhisnameis, then you can simply move on to another post (might I suggest the "is anything better than sex" post...it gets two thumbs up from this sex fiend). So anywho, here is what I'd love to see this offseason...agree, disagree, whatever...its just what I happen to think would benefit the Bills in 2005.

1) Drew Bledsoe takes a pay cut to stay with the team. Whether thats as a backup or as a starter will be determined in camp.

2) Travis Henry is traded to the Arizona Cards for their 3rd rounder.

3) Moulds restructures like he says he is going to, freeing up a good chunk of

cash.

3) Offers given to EFAs Stamer and Dorenbos and RFAs Burns and Thomas.

4) Re-sign Pat Williams and Marcus Price...sadly, methinks Jonas wants too much money.

5) Release Pierson Prioleau and Rian Lindell.

--In free agency I dont see the Bills going after any real big name FAs, just good solid role players who can contribute, a la Chris Villarial--

6a) Sign Dane Looker, WR from St. Louis: Anyone who saw that Rams game on Saturday saw that Looker was the only WR who apparently does not have the dropsies. He was pushed out of the 3rd WR spot by the surprising Kevin Curtis and the fact that he was in Martz's doghouse for most of the 2003-2004 seasons. An excellent possession WR with great hands, good speed and a runs some of the best routes in football. Unheralded, under the radar signing who could really blossom in Buffalo as our 3rd WR and could easily beat out Josh "Butterfingers" Reed. Might even make TD cut Reed after Training Camp.

6b) Sign Amos Zereoue, RB from Oakland: With Henry gone, the Bills would need a backup just in case Shaud Williams cant handle the load. Zereoue is a veteran with some damn good speed, plus is familiar with Mularkey's system from his days in Pittsburgh.

6c) Sign Ryan Diem, OT from Indy: Got dinged up and had to leave in the playoff game on Sunday, and Indy's O-Line showed why he was one of the better performers on it. The O-Line looked terrible without him, and the good news is that Indy will spend its remaining money keeping Edge, and leaving him open to the UFA market. Could be TD's "mdinight signing" of 2005.

6d) Sign Rick DeMulling, OG from Indy: If we got Diem, I'd love to see his buddy DeMulling signed as a starter next to him. Once again, the Colts will have almost no cash to spend after the new deal to Harrison and the impending new deal to Edge, so DeMulling would be free to sign with anyone. At the very worst, he'd be a Marcus Price type of backup for our O-Line. At best, he'd beat out Tucker for the LG spot.

6e) Sign Freddie Jones, TE from Arizona: A former Pro Bowler who has flopped in Arizona, but how much is that due to a series of bad offensive systems he was forced to play in? I'd see if he can recapture the magic in Buffalo, and even if he cant he'd be a solid goal-line receiving TE to work with Campbell.

--Thats really it for free agents...I know some people would like to see some of the bigger names come to Buffalo, but I'd be satisfied with that group...Now onto the Draft!--

2nd rounder) Mike Nugent, Kicker out of Ohio State: I seriously think this is our best option, and I guarantee you if we dont take him in the 2nd round, the Jets will take Nugent with their pick after ours and make us pay for years. Nugent is a weapon, and is the best kicking prospect to come out of college in the last decade. Think Jason Elam, Version 2.0. Nugent is one of the most accurate kickers in NCAA history and would already be a top 10 kicker the second he enters the NFL. He knows how to kick in bad weather and is uber-clutch, as he's had many game-winning FGs throughout his career. Plus, the guy can nail 50 yarders with ease and has oustanding character. With Nugent, we win two more games next year then we did this year, just by having such a damn good kicker.

3rd rounder A) David Greene, QB out of Georgia: I really like David Greene. I feel that with Shane Matthews heading into retirement and with Drew Bledsoe's future up in the air, the Bills should invest a first day pick into Losman's future back-up. Greene does not strike me as a player who will ever be a starter, but he looks like a very solid QB who can come off the bench if the starter is injured and play well. He has fantastic accuracy and reads defenses very well. He has issues because he, athletically, isnt as electrifying as some of the other QB prospects, but his arm strength is still comparable to most NFL QBs. Just a good, safe pick who could learn under Wyche and spend a season as our 3rd stringer before he takes over the back-up role in 2006.

3rd rounder B) Antonio Perkins, CB out of Oklahoma: This kid was an amazing returner in college, and would make our punt return team even better. Since McGee apparently doesnt do punt returns, having Perkins add his talents to our roster would make every time our opponent kicks the ball to us an adventure for their coverage teams. Plus, it keeps Clements at CB so we no longer have to worry about his fumbling and he can concentrate and stay healthy as our #1 CB. Perkins is no slouch at CB though, he had a leg injury this year which limited him, but he's excellent in coverage and a year as our nickel or dime back could prepare him to step up as the #2 in case Clements bolts for FA after this year.

4th rounder) Dan Buenning, OG out of Wisconsin: A solid O-Lineman prospect who has played for a long time on the Badger O-Line. Is not physically dominating, but I've seen him handle a lot of DTs by himself with no problems. I consider him one of the big steals of this year's draft class due to his experience and leadership skills. Would give our O-Line some very good depth.

5th rounder) Wes Simms, OT out of Oklahoma: Yep, I want more O-Lineman. I like Simms because of his versatility, he can play both tackle and guard, something which usually extends your NFL career. Another player who spent a long time starting on his team's O-Line. You can never count against experience, especially when it was on Oklahoma O-Line against top notch college competition.

6th rounder) Diamond Ferry, S out of Syracuse: Another versatile player who had a very solid senior year for the Orange. People remember him for his outstanding stand-in play at RB this year when Walter Reyes was hurt, but made great strides at Safety this year as well. Could be a great special teams player for the Bills.

7th rounder) Roydell Williams, WR out of Tulane: JP Losman's favorite target at Tulane, I think it would help Losman a lot during his run at the starting job to see a familiar face. Williams isnt oustanding in any area, but he's a very good possession WR with solid hands. Probably a practice squad guy his first year.

--There ya go kids, now I'll admit that I'll probably change this as the offseason continues, but I especially like the free agent pick-ups because they wont break the bank but could all contribute immediately--

I like the overall strategy. We already have some high cap impact players (Bledsoe, Moulds, Mike Williams, Takeo, Milloy, Schobel) and we need the additional space to retain most of our own free agents over the next two years (Williams, Clements, McGee)..so the answer is fill several positions with solid players rather than break the bank on a LT.

As to the player mix--that's above my competency level to determine--but I am not very concerned about the WR position--I know we are all down on Reed--but I think Aiken and Fast Freddie can fill the void if Josh fails to impress once again. I also see a pretty deep draft at RB -- we can probably get a back up to replace Travis in the 3rd round or below that will be cheaper over the long run than Famous Amos...Vernand Morency from Okie state comes to mind--he is a little older (25 when next season begins). TA Mclendon from NC State is a good back but he is very injury prone. Darren Sproles from K State is a quick sob who can help in the return game as well...all interesting guys...

The rest look okay--you are right about Mike "Cat Scratch" Nugent -- he is a weapon...I don't think they are going to give up on Lindell though...the competition will be a street free agent and an undrafted free agent probably.

Good job BGIM...

I won't do a blow by blow analysis, but here are a few reactions. I think you're probably pretty close on most of the current Bills free agents and what the Bills will do. I'm not real sure on Bledsoe. The word is that the Bills have given Bledsoe an ultimatum, pay cut or cut period. Also, I don't really expect Joe Burns to be a Bill next year. He was always TH's primary backup, but this season saw Shaud Williams move ahead of him. I don't think Burns offers anything on offence that the Bills couldn't get from any minimum salary free agent. I don't think he's so valuable on special teams that it earns him a roster spot.

I don't see TD signing five veteran free agents, but your ideas aren't bad. Zeroue would be an upgrade from Burns.

I probably would not go in the same direction as you in the draft. Nugent may be a good kicker, but I'm not convinced the Bills can't find a good kicker and pay a lot less. I thought the Bills jumped the gun when they dumped Shayne Graham to pick up Mike Hollis. Graham was just an undrafted rookie, but actually did not kick that badly in the few attempts he had for the Bills. TD got caught up in the hype for having a name kicker. Hollis was average at best, while Shayne Graham has gone on to have a pretty good NFL career. (He was 6-8 for the Bills). Last season he was 27 for 31 and 3 out of 4 from beyond the 50.

Once you get past the first couple of rounds the draft is something of a crap shoot anyway. I think I'd rather try and draft someone in the third round who has more of a chance to get on the field and eventually start than David Greene has. I'm not familiar with most of the rest of the names you suggest. Perkins sounds like a good idea. So does more depth on the O-line. I think Roydell Williams would be a throwaway pick in round 7, but most seventh round picks are. I assume Moulds will stay. Evans is a solid #2 now. Dane Looker would be your #3. Sam Aikens hangs on as a #4 and Fast Freddie is your #5. Williams is a training camp casualty.

I agree about williams, he has too many ties in Buffalo to leave. I am not to sure if I can get behind a rookie kicker: see the chargers-but a FA kicker even a drunken one would be okay.

I think we'll score at least a 2nd rounder, one maybe is if the colts don't resign James they could trade a 2nd for Henry, that way they can address Defense-but I predict a earlier 2nd rounder, if the Dolphins draft Rogers, they'll trade that nice high 2nd for Henry.

Signings-I like the DeMulling idea, Zereoue is good too.

Draft

2-Marlin jackson/Carlos Rogers/ Corey Webster-one will be there, McGee is a better slot cover, and Clements will be a free agent, this gives us more leverage.

2b-Adam Terry-pot dream but with good coaching he could be great

3-Rian Wallace-takes over Posey's spot by week 3

4-vincent Jackson big WR/TE helps with our red zone O

after this it's just gravy

I like your ideas.

I'm an old college o-lineman, but I think you went too heavy there by adding through FA and draft. Id like to add here, but cash in FA is always a consideration.

I would be surprised if they go w/ a kicker in 2nd rd, but I am not against it.

I doubt we take another qb this high, moving up to get JP already cost us alot. We need a vet FA here, or bledsoe coming off the bench. Is the deadline really March for his roster bonus?

Zeroue would be cool!

Nice work on this Malta.

Great post. I agree with everything on your list excpet for two areas.

1. Keep Prioleau. I don't think we should change one thing from our special team personnel. He was solid in kick and punt coverage all year, and a decent backup FS.

2. Drafting a QB in the 3rd round. I don't think is the route to take. We need someone with experience in there to help Losman through his training. A rookie certainly can't help him with this. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Bledsoe back as a backup. If we are going to take a QB in the draft, I say use a sixth or seventh rounder on one and make him the third stringer.

Great post. I agree with everything on your list excpet for two areas.

1. Keep Prioleau. I don't think we should change one thing from our special team personnel. He was solid in kick and punt coverage all year, and a decent backup FS.

2. Drafting a QB in the 3rd round. I don't think is the route to take. We need someone with experience in there to help Losman through his training. A rookie certainly can't help him with this. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Bledsoe back as a backup. If we are going to take a QB in the draft, I say use a sixth or seventh rounder on one and make him the third stringer.

209539[/snapback]

I agree with #2, but not with #1. Prioleau may be a decent special teamer, but definitely NOT good enough to justify his cap hit for 2005.

Interesting opinion article in this morning's Indystar newspaper. The writer (Bob Kravitz) is suggesting that the Colts NOT resign the EDGE and use the money for defensive FA's instead. I find it kind of interesting in that he did not mention their own offensive line UFA's. He must think either:

1. The Colts will easily re-sign Diem and Demulling regardless or

2. They aren't a priority

IMHO, these are both finesse-type lineman vs. maulers. They're fairly decent pass protectors but can sometimes get pushed back by a stout defensive line in short yardage.

A couple more interesting tidbits on Travis Henry and Polian's Buffalo years.

I not sure I can successfully link yet, but check it out at Indystar.com:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/210384-4238-036.html

Nice post, BillsGuy......

The only places I depart from your plan is with DAvid Greene and Freddie Jones.......Living in 'Dawgs country, I've seen most of David Greene's games......He's had some consistent stretches, but overall he's not all that impressive to me. I think I'd pass on him......especially the first day of the draft. I also think I'd like to nab Bubba Franks from GB instead of Jones.

If we can sign Diem, that would be niiiiiice :)

i can agree with almost all the resigning and cutting players.

a few edits:

i think we can get a 2nd rounder for henry.

why would we draft a Kicker with our first pick??

why would we draft a QB with our second pick??

i say OG with first 2nd round pick.

i also say take a CB with the second 2nd round pick.

i say take a RB (sprools) with our 3rd round pick.

FA OT. we can pay alot if hes a beast.

FA Kicker. there are a few.

if we cut bledsoe, sign harrington (who looks to be cut), or get a veteran guy as backup.

If we can get even four out of these five FAs, I'm sure the Bills will be challenging the Pats for the division in 2005 and playing in at least the second week of the playoffs.

I think we can get a 2nd for Travis.

I agree that Pat Williams needs to be resigned and that Jennings will want too much money.

I really would like to see the Bills draft Nugent.

Good ideas, BGIM. I envision TD doing a good deal of shopping , come March FA. While he probably won't aquire any top $$ FA's, the depth concerns of the Bills could be upgraded , prior to Draft Day.

Re-signing Pat Williams and Marcus Price would be realistic. Then go shopping for more OL, TE's, RB's, #3 WR. Secondary and DL depth. Can't envision the Bills breaking the bank for a top LT. Maybe a Kicker or wait and draft Nugent. Maybe a QB, depending on the situation.

The off-season is always interesting with TD. He's very active in player movement.

my offseason wish list:

before free agency/trading period:

drew takes a paycut and stays as JPs backup. the physical aspect of the game has passed DB by, but he still has a good mental grasp and will make a good tutor as JP takes his lumps

resign pat

moulds restructures

jennings tells TD what it will take to keep him from going to atlanta. TD turns to him and says 'frankly my dear, i dont give a damn'

free agency/trading period

bills and cardinals swap RB Travis Henry for T LJ Shelton

bills sign cardinals TE Freddie Jones

bills sign packers G Marco Rivera

spend draft weekend with the bush twins:

friday barbara

saturday jenna

sunday barbara and jenna

oh, and the bills draft some quality players. hopefully including a decent kicker who can make a 28 yard FG

Love the line abouut " if, next January, the Colts go to Pittsburgh or New England OR EVEN BUFFALO< what makes you think anything will be different" Yes! Buffalo at the Ralph in January!!

BTW, thoughtful post Malta! I just wouldn't favor a QB draft pick..