Hackett not situationally aware in terms of the big picture

Big Turk

The biggest thing that irks me with the offense in general, and Hackett is they are not situationally aware when it comes to the big picture of the game. They move the ball, they score a reasonable number of points with smoke and mirrors right now. They get their players ready to play in a pretty good manner. Nothing bad to say about that.

Here is what bothered me today:

Bills come out of the half and drive the ball quickly down the field. They are at the 1 yard line facing a third down with their 4th string QB, leading 10-3 over a team that showed absolutely nothing offensively the whole game to that point, and wouldn't show anything the rest of the game either. Knowing that any type of score puts your team up by two possessions and that KC has struggled to do anything of note offensively, what is the call?

My call all day long would have been to spread them out with 4 wide and empty the backfield, then run a QB sneak. The worst thing that can happen is you basically are kicking an extra point. You have probably a 50/50 chance of getting a TD, IMHO. So what do they call? A pass in a critical situation depending on their 4th string rookie QB to make a play. What happens? He throws a pick-6, the worst possible result.

I understand they are going to say if we put a guy in the game we expect him to make plays. I totally understand that. But at some point you have to leave well enough alone and realize who you have back there and protect your team from a stupid play at the worst time, especially in a tight compressed window with 22 players within 11 yards of each other.

That being said, if Tuel makes the right read and sees a wide open Stevie Johnson, its a different story. In fact, the player who returned the pick 6 was in the right place at the right time for the wrong reason, leaving his man wide open and doubling down inside...he blew his coverage, but miraculously it worked out perfectly...

I agree. Said the same thing to a friend IRT Hacketts play calling sometimes. Here's what bothered me. The whole game they are doing their best to "protect" their rookie QB and did a pretty good job at that. Why risk it at that point? I like that they are conceding to a FG but you have to have a better play in that situation......like a QB sneak :flirt:

Bills come out of the half and drive the ball quickly down the field. They are at the 1 yard line facing a third down with their 4th string QB, leading 10-3 over a team that showed absolutely nothing offensively the whole game to that point, and wouldn't show anything the rest of the game either. Knowing that any type of score puts your team up by two possessions and that KC has struggled to do anything of note offensively, what is the call?

I understand they are going to say if we put a guy in the game we expect him to make plays. I totally understand that. But at some point you have to leave well enough alone and realize who you have back there and protect your team from a stupid play at the worst time, especially in a tight compressed window with 22 players within 11 yards of each other.

BINGO

Maybe he thinks they're playing in Canada?

The biggest thing that irks me with the offense in general, and Hackett is they are not situationally aware when it comes to the big picture of the game. They move the ball, they score a reasonable number of points with smoke and mirrors right now. They get their players ready to play in a pretty good manner. Nothing bad to say about that.

Here is what bothered me today:

My call all day long would have been to spread them out with 4 wide and empty the backfield, then run a QB sneak. The worst thing that can happen is you basically are kicking an extra point. You have probably a 50/50 chance of getting a TD, IMHO. So what do they call? A pass in a critical situation depending on their 4th string rookie QB to make a play. What happens? He throws a pick-6, the worst possible result.

That being said, if Tuel makes the right read and sees a wide open Stevie Johnson, its a different story. In fact, the player who returned the pick 6 was in the right place at the right time for the wrong reason, leaving his man wide open and doubling down inside...he blew his coverage, but miraculously it worked out perfectly...

***Hammer hitting nail on head***

Go back to the Cincinnati game...similar situation. 2nd down and goal inside the 2. They ran it on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and didnt get points.

This time they decide to do a pass. The ball was picked because of a DB mistake.

Going with an empty backfield from inside the 2 is not a wise play to try. It creates a clogged endzone that is very difficult for a rookie QB to read in terms of trying to look off a DB to open up the field for a pass.

If you plan on running You have 5 DBs/LBs on the 5 receivers and then 6 LBs/DLs inside against the OL and QB. Such a play works better if a team is a good short yardage/power running OL. that isnt Buffalo's running style. They arent good on short yardage runs when the defense is all playing within 10 yards of the line.

passing plays you do either fades or quick slants. The quick slants are a release on blitzes and hot reads. You have to assume the defense actually plays as they should in their assignments for a play to work.

A hot read slant is actually an easy play for a QB to throw.

I agree that Hackett's awareness in this regard is not up to par right now. However, I think his playcalling has steadily improved over the course of the season. We put up 470 yards of offense on a top 5 defense with our 3rd option at QB. That's nothing to frown upon. I think he'll figure out the proper situational calls with a little more NFL experience.