Bills Coaching oopsies this week

I'm sorry, does mitchmurray do that? I actually don't know. If he's crusading, I apologize.

Even if he does, he kept it civil and reasonable in this topic. He didn't say fire Marrone or anything. Or "this coaching staff sucks." So what if other teams make mistakes, this is a Bills forum. We want our team to be perfect. If Pete Carrol messes up his clock management, I really don't care.

Except they didn't "mess up clock management." Messing up clock management would be calling two time outs in the third quarter. Being aggressive to end the half is not poor clock management, it was a STRATEGY that didn't work out. And we treat these "mistakes" as if no other team in the history of football experiences them. So when Pete Carroll does the same thing, it IS relevant to the validity of naysayers "argument."

I agree with both sides. Which is why you will rarely find me bitching endlessly about "coaching."

i think they are generally good - and i am happy with them but i think the last 2-4 minutes of a half have been very hit or miss. even letting caronlina(?) run the clock and take a shot at the endzone at the end of the first half instead of calling a timeout to force the punt. didnt like the clock running when we had the ball with 4 mins inside our own 10 at the end of the game either.

its both actual flubs in how the clock is managed, as well as the game feel in general. its an area he can improve on for sure, and i dont see any reason he wouldnt be able to.

And if they would have run out the clock, there'd be criticism aplenty for being conservative.

Not from me.

Calling a pass play on first down, incomplete...from there you have to take the amount of time on the clock, and the concede that there is a decent chance you may not get a first down...it would seem you would want to give the other team the ball back with as little time as possible on the clock...or make them burn some timeouts. But throwing a pass (incomplete) on 2nd down, and then another on 3rd down was not sound. You are, basically, handwrapping a gift for them. I understand you don't want to be negative, and I am with you on that...but I do think it was pretty glaring example of poor clock management. Sure, if they complete those passes, it is great...but they didin't...they called the second and third pass, knowing that the previous two were incomplete...when it is 2nd and 10, IMO, you have to start thinking about running out the clock.

To just decide you are going to try to score on that drive, not taking into account the down, distance and time left after each play is the coaching equivalant of a QB locking onto a receiver.

Edited by Buftex

I think we should let the team know where the coaches made some errors, so I'll start: When we were punting with about 3:40 left in the 4th quarter, it took our team about 30 or more seconds to run the play. If you're down & trying to save clock, that's unacceptable.

When the Bills kicked the go ahead FG near the end of the 4th quarter, there was 34 seconds left on the clock to start & after the FG went through there was 33 seconds left. Talk about home field clock management advantage, Buffalo should of talked to the ref & had that checked as well.

don't forget at the end of the first half when the bills take 10 seconds off the clock punt and Miami gets a touchdown. inexcusable, they had no business throwing the ball

I think we should let the team know where the coaches made some errors, so I'll start: When we were punting with about 3:40 left in the 4th quarter, it took our team about 30 or more seconds to run the play. If you're down & trying to save clock, that's unacceptable.

When the Bills kicked the go ahead FG near the end of the 4th quarter, there was 34 seconds left on the clock to start & after the FG went through there was 33 seconds left. Talk about home field clock management advantage, Buffalo should of talked to the ref & had that checked as well.

This post with no mention of the pre-halftime blunder makes me wonder if you even watched the game or just watched highlights.

The Bills are not a good team this year. A lot of rookies. A lot of injuries. A practice squad QB is starting for gods sake (and is doing far better than expected in my opinion thus far). Couple this with rookie coaches and it is amazing that they aren't doing the 0-fer with the Giants. It is a credit to the fight in this team that they are doing as well as they are, such that some late game heroics from key players allowed them to win this past game as a prime example.

Certainly Marrone has made mistakes, and some whoppers so far this season. But he is a rookie at this level as well. Comparing him to a Andy Reid this year is absurd. Hopefully he will continue to learn in this rebuild season along with Manuel and the other players of the future.