Alright I'll say it - Sunday is a must win!

KikO M G

I have made it clear in the past that I would be happy with an 8-8 season, which the Bills can attain even if they lose on Sunday. So from a rebuilding standpoint, it is not a must win (is there any such thing as a must win from a rebuilding standpoint?).

As fans, we can all have our expectations, but I sure hope the players are going out there expecting to make the playoffs, and to preserve any shot of that, they really have to win Sunday. I've been pleasantly surprised by the competitiveness of this team. I expected to see more inconsistency, with several losses where the team appeared far overmatched. Those losses may still happen at some point, but so far this season, the Bills have been in every game up until the last drive. They have actually been relatively consistent. They've scored somewhere in the 20's every game. The run has been effective. The QB play has been unpolished but has managed the offense relatively well, with many signs of potential for greater success in the future (Manuel is 22, Lewis is 25). Unfortunately the defense has also been fairly consistent. They've done well with turnovers and sacks, but they continue to get burned by big plays and the inability to shut the door on 3rd down. So while they've scored in the 20s every game, they've also given up 26 points per game. Hence a 2-4 record with 6 very closely played games.

Basically what I am saying is that this team might not be "a few years away" from being a playoff team. They might. But they might not. They might be where they need to be this year. The pieces, to me, appear to be in place now, and it's just a matter of tightening up a few aspects of their game to get over the hump. I wasn't expecting to feel this way after 6 games this season, but here we are.

But if they are going to get over that hump this season - which they very well might not - it has to start Sunday. A playoff team does not start 2-5 with 3 straight road losses and 3 straight losses in their division. Especially with two very tough games coming up after Sunday (Saints and Chiefs), and then a much easier schedule for the rest of the season to follow, this Sunday is a key game for the Bills to define their season.

The talent is there. The will is there. The coaching staff has had this team prepared to play every week and I expect nothing different on Sunday. The question is whether they will make that leap and close out what is most likely going to be another close game. I don't know. But if they lose Sunday the team is going to definitively take on the feel of a rebuilding team. The intensity level could diminish, as could the quality of play. I hope that doesn't happen, but I can see how it could.

Hopefully they pull this one out in Miami and continue to play tough and competitively for the rest of the season. Regardless of how it turns out, I am looking forward to the next few years with this group.

I have made it clear in the past that I would be happy with an 8-8 season, which the Bills can attain even if they lose on Sunday. So from a rebuilding standpoint, it is not a must win (is there any such thing as a must win from a rebuilding standpoint?).

As fans, we can all have our expectations, but I sure hope the players are going out there expecting to make the playoffs, and to preserve any shot of that, they really have to win Sunday. I've been pleasantly surprised by the competitiveness of this team. I expected to see more inconsistency, with several losses where the team appeared far overmatched. Those losses may still happen at some point, but so far this season, the Bills have been in every game up until the last drive. They have actually been relatively consistent. They've scored somewhere in the 20's every game. The run has been effective. The QB play has been unpolished but has managed the offense relatively well, with many signs of potential for greater success in the future (Manuel is 22, Lewis is 25). Unfortunately the defense has also been fairly consistent. They've done well with turnovers and sacks, but they continue to get burned by big plays and the inability to shut the door on 3rd down. So while they've scored in the 20s every game, they've also given up 26 points per game. Hence a 2-4 record with 6 very closely played games.

Basically what I am saying is that this team might not be "a few years away" from being a playoff team. They might. But they might not. They might be where they need to be this year. The pieces, to me, appear to be in place now, and it's just a matter of tightening up a few aspects of their game to get over the hump. I wasn't expecting to feel this way after 6 games this season, but here we are.

But if they are going to get over that hump this season - which they very well might not - it has to start Sunday. A playoff team does not start 2-5 with 3 straight road losses and 3 straight losses in their division. Especially with two very tough games coming up after Sunday (Saints and Chiefs), and then a much easier schedule for the rest of the season to follow, this Sunday is a key game for the Bills to define their season.

The talent is there. The will is there. The coaching staff has had this team prepared to play every week and I expect nothing different on Sunday. The question is whether they will make that leap and close out what is most likely going to be another close game. I don't know. But if they lose Sunday the team is going to definitively take on the feel of a rebuilding team. The intensity level could diminish, as could the quality of play. I hope that doesn't happen, but I can see how it could.

Hopefully they pull this one out in Miami and continue to play tough and competitively for the rest of the season. Regardless of how it turns out, I am looking forward to the next few years with this group.

Very nice post. I agree completely.

even if we don't make the playoffs, I think it's time we stake our claim as the 2nd best team in this division. even if we lose every other game (ok c'mon, we should at least beat the Jags) I will be happy if we beat Miami twice and beat the Jets convincingly the 2nd time around when we are at full strength (EJ's first game back?). And as we saw in week 1, we can compete with New England. I'm tired of being the bottom feeders in the division and teams calling us "the same old Bills." time to change that!

This team *seems* different. A victory this Sunday is the difference between real and artificial progress

Exactly right.

If they DO make the playoffs, does Marrone win coach of the year?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We need to lock up Thad before we can answer this question.

kj