Tuel time seems to have run it's course

dezertbill

Safe to say the very reason why they kept Tuel on the roster at the start of the season to backup Manuel will cost him a roster spot eventually this year.

With Lewis' performance against a VERY GOOD Bengals defense, along with Tuel's performance in Cleveland, it's obvious that Lewis is more prepared to play in an NFL game than Tuel.

Secondly, I don't see Lewis doing enough damage to his image after that great game to where if the Bills tried to move him back to the PS that another team wouldn't claim him.

Conversely, whatever magic Tuel had in the preseason that made the Bills fear putting him on waivers vanished on national TV for all the other teams to see. I can't imagine any team creating a roster spot for him on their 53 if he hits the waiver wire.

He'll be on his way to the PS once Manuel returns, if not sooner (if the Bills sign another veteran). Kinda how it should have been in the first place.

I think Tuel has potential in this league, and has made some good throws in certain situations, which warrants the Bills putting him on the PS to gain experience.

Plus, I think having Lewis back up Manuel will allow Hackett to run the same game plan without having to change style of play, since they both have similar skill sets.

Lewis's performance makes Tuel relatively expendable. Attend same time, though, we can't seem to keep a QB healthy, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep 3 QBs on the roster.

Looking at his college and preseason highlights, Tuel can make some really great throws when he has time...He needs to figure out what to do when he does not. All of his good mechanics go right out the window when he is hurried. I was pleasantly surprised today by Lewis play. That being said, he has to be taught not to hang on to the ball when everyone's covered. Much better to either throw it away or tuck it and run. I was surprised that after his early success at running when under duress (he actually seems to "get up to speed" quicker than EJ), he pretty much abandoned that strategy later on in the game which resulted in many of those untimely sacks.

Marrone said everything he needed to say about Tuel last Monday. That Tuel - doesn't have the ability to extend plays, & that he was a bit overwhelmed.

In hindsight Tuel would have been a great practice squad QB for us. Marrone's rationale of keeping Tuel off the PS so as to avoid waivers seems a bit illogical given the fact that most teams have an abundance of QB depth, and most teams are cutting QBs after the final pre-season game, and good veteran QBs flood the market.

Will be interesting to see if the Bills indeeddo sign Flynn what they do with Tuel Time. I don't know for sure, but I suspect Flynn can't go to PS since he was active all last year with the Hawks and 5 games this year with Raiders and probably a year or two with Cheese. Someone will have to go. Tuel Time perhaps? If they still want him on PS (still not sure why) they could pick him back up after he clears waivers.