Trade Steve Johnson to Atlanta if the offer is right?

Dean Cain

Trade Stevie?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Bills Explore Trading Steve Johnson to Atlanta?

2. 2. If Yes, what would be a suitable draft pick?

It's actually not stupid. SJ drops important catches ALL THE TIME. Meanwhile, EJ seems to have better chemistry with fellow rookie Woods. SJ will probably be "over the hill" when the Bills are actually a contending team. Trading him to the Falcons for a 1st rounder and landing someone like Lee (who played with Woods at USC) is a smart move. I'd put the odds that Lee or another top rookie WR having a productive season very high. Plus, you are also discounting the progress Woods will have made by next year. The top actual WR drafted this year (not counting the Rams ridiculous drafting of undersized T. Austin) was D. Hopkins. He is making a good impact for the Texans, and will likely be better this year than SJ3, and certainly better next year than him.

You're sort of all over the place but:

A) None of that explains why ATL would give up a 1st.

B) Hopkins > SJ3 next year is based on what, a couple catches vs Tennessee?

C) I like Woods as much as the next guy but if the scouting report on him was accurate (which so far it appears to be ie how 'polished' he is) I don't know how high his ceiling is going to be in years to come. He seems like pretty much an ideal WR2 or 1A.

D) SJ being over the hill by the time the Bills are ready to contend makes it sound like they're a 3-5year rebuilding project. They're not. They have their share of good players and a couple weaknesses, just like teams that make the playoffs. The difference between them and playoff teams right now is QB and health. If EJ is good they can contend next year. If the EJ is not good they're screwed (assuming they don't draft another QB in April, which I would advocate but not holding my breath).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie not at practice today..... hmmmm..

Would rather see him sit this game out than further expose himself to a more severe injury and decrease his trade value. Given that Atlanta has this week off Steve Johnson could rest up for 17 days before his next game.

As for all of those that favor keeping him, at what point is 2013 a lost season? 4, 5, 6 losses? Doesn't it make sense to get some value for our veteran players that obviously aren't going to be in their prime when we finally can make a serious challenge for a playoff spot?

I'll never understand why teams even consider trading proven players for draft picks. It's a stupid gamble that almost never works out.

The point of the draft is to select a college prospect that you HOPE becomes a good player. Why would you trade a good player for the CHANCE you get something decent in return.

Over the last few years, we've traded Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans and Jason Peters for draft picks. On every single trade, we ended up on the short end of the stick.

The closest we got to a good deal was in the Peters deal - since we ended up with a pretty good player in the draft (Eric Wood). Despite the grudge that most Bills fans hold against Peters, they must admit that Wood is nowhere near the player Peters has been (3x Pro Bowler and 2x All-Pro since leaving Buffalo). When healthy, Wood is probably a Top 10-15 center in the NFL. When healthy, Peters is probably a Top 5 left tackle.

And it's not just us. What did Denver get in return for Jay Cutler? What did the Oakland Raiders get in return for Randy Moss? Do you think Dee Millner will make Jets fans forget Darrelle Revis? Please.

20 years ago, the Dallas Cowboys fleeced the Minnesota Vikings for Herschel Walker. Now everyone thinks draft picks are gold. It's ridiculous.

Let's assume that Buffalo can get a high 1st round pick for Stevie Johnson (not in a million years). They can select Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins or another top WR.

What are the chances Lee/Watkins eventually turn out as good as Stevie Johnson, 2-3 years down the road? 50 percent? 25 percent? 10 percent?

In the best case scenario (a high 1st rounder), we would still be taking a huge gamble. Stupid.

I understand this coming from a fellow Bills fan. drafts have always been lousey so more picks meant more lousey players. The way they drafted this year though either shows they have seriously gotten better at picking talent or its just a fluke.

BUT- woods, kiko seem really solid even potentially great. EJ - jury is out but he's making throws I haven't seen from a bills jersey in almost 20 years, projects a great attitude and physically exceeds all the QB measurables.

Gragg and Goodwin each have some distinct attribute that just might push them up the depth chart some day. Even Robey and duke might be solid contributors down the line.

Look further at their talent e v a l. Lawson was a steal, Leonard has been a playmaker. Hughes for Sheppard, we will see how that works but Hughes showed flashes in preseason and made a few plays so far shep was a better MLB than this board ever credited him for but he couldn't cover.

People like to piss and moan because its easy to be negative and caries less risk for most phyches than optimism.

But it is obvious to me the bills are fielding real talent these days. It used to be most team literally had a better player at almost every single position. Bills used to be blown out embarrassingly. Five games in they were in every one. Untill the very last 2 or 3 series.

Jump on the ride with this team fans it going to be fun and they are building for the long haul.

Our strategy over the last five years or so of getting rid of good players for mid round picks has worked so perfectly I don't see why we wouldn't jump at the chance to do it again. A smart team would never pass up a chance to trade a milk cow for a handful of magic beans.

Bills WR Stevie Johnson was excused from practice Wednesday to tend to a family situation back in his native California.

Head coach Doug Marrone said Johnson would be back late in the week after heading home for a death in the family.

The Bills top wideout is also trying to return from a back injury suffered in the Thursday night game at Cleveland.

•  

If anyone would pay for him, it'd be the lions. They're doing well enough to stay in playoff contention despite a tight division, but risk becoming one-dimensional if Bush or Megatron are banged up. They could really use a safety valve that just "gets open" to help move the chains (especially with Burleson injured).

I could see them trying to make a big move before the deadline if no one steps up for them as a 3rd threat on offense

LOL that Stevie isnt a #1 reciever. Sure he isnt 6'5'' but no one can cover the guy. The only thing holding him back is a bad QB

Agreed. Which is why he's worth a first round pick.

The real question about Stevie is, is the Bills' time now, or a few years from now? If it's a few years from now, it makes sense to trade him away. But only for the right price (a first rounder).

Agreed. Which is why he's worth a first round pick.

The real question about Stevie is, is the Bills' time now, or a few years from now? If it's a few years from now, it makes sense to trade him away. But only for the right price (a first rounder).

No man... Stevie is not a speed guy, his game is going to be solid for years to come.

No man... Stevie is not a speed guy, his game is going to be solid for years to come.

A lot of it comes down to EJ. If EJ is the guy, then keeping Stevie makes sense. If EJ isn't the guy, then the next 3 - 4 years of Stevie's career will have been wasted; at least if the goal is the Super Bowl. Not only that, but if EJ isn't the guy, then trading away Stevie for a first round pick gives you extra ammunition with which to acquire the guy.